what do i eat and not eat

Options
I am new to this and don't know what to do do we aet any thing as long as we don't go over net calories

Replies

• mrichternh
    mrichternh Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    That is how I started, then I began eating "clean" more fresh fruit and veggies and whole grains. What is all boils down to is calories in/calories out in order to keep up a deficit. Ultimately it takes 3500 calories to make up one pound. So if you have a deficit of at least 3500 for the week, then you should lose at least a lb.
  • myuva
    myuva Posts: 67
    Options
    So......Ideally I should burn 500 calories a day ? 7 days per week X 500 burned calories = 3500 calories(1 lb)per week Then why would you eat back those 500 daily calories ?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    So......Ideally I should burn 500 calories a day ? 7 days per week X 500 burned calories = 3500 calories(1 lb)per week Then why would you eat back those 500 daily calories ?

That's not necessary. As long as you have your settings so you want to lose one pound a week, your calorie goal will already be at the right deficit. That's why it's important to eat the calories you burn from exercise, so you don't create too large of a deficit.
  • Cathyvil
    Cathyvil Posts: 230 Member
    Options

If you indicated that you wanted to lose 1lb per week, MFP already set your calorie deficit to accommodate those 500 calories per day. If you're exercising and burning more calories on top of that, that means you've earned more calories that you can eat. There is debate whether to eat your exercise calories or not. I eat some but not all. You need to find what works best for you and if you do a search of the topics you can pull up all the old threads with the info.
  • danielnoble
    Options
    My nutritional advisor has advised me to never ever go on a diet. It is all about eating the right foods at the right times. For example every meal should have a serve of Protein, Low energy Carbohydrates, & Essential Fats. So say a peice of meat , Veggies and a fish oil capsule is a standard meal for myself. I aim for 6 meals a day, some of which are liquid. The more colourful your meals are, the more nutrients they are likely to have.
    The extra calories you get from exercise should be used to refuel your muscles. So think High Energy Carbs after exercise.

I'm sure there are people here that will disagree with this. It works I know quite a few people that use these principles and have amazing results. I've lost 15kg since September with only minimal exercise max 2hrs a week.