Gym Equipment gives different cal burn

Options
Hey, When I go to the gym and work out on the machines, it gives me I higher calorie burn than what MFP gives me. Which one to go with?

Replies

• Cosmic_Unicorn
    Cosmic_Unicorn Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I usually go with MFP, whether it's higher or lower, because it factors in your weight. Gym machines give a more general estimate for an average person.

Although I have used a few gym machines that make you enter your weight for calories burned estimates. I find they're always really close to MFP, and take which ever is lower.

When in doubt, take which ever is lower. It's better to underestimate than to overestimate.
  • soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    i always go witht he lower calorie burn....i figure its better to underestimate what you burn, then overestimate and then eat more calories than you shouold
  • ValMae
    ValMae Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    A heart rate monitor give you an estimated calorie burn based on your age, weight, height, and actual heart rate during exercise. Get one! They are awesome and help you track your workouts based on fitness and fatburn.
  • Tywana
    Tywana Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Thank you..
  • Butterfly3730
    Options
    My Polar FT4 HRM is way under both MFP and gym equipment so I go by that.
  • carlie_carl
    Options
    If the exercise equipment asks you to imput your age and weight go with the equipment, because that will be most accurate of the 2, MFP will give an estimate but it cant calucualte how intense you was going like the machine will