Gym Membership - Worth It?

Options
I REALLY want to join a 24hour gym as the only times I'd be able to go would be when my husband is home to look after the kids, which is usually at night. My local 24hour gym is $65 a month and holds NO classes or anything, and has limited equipment... is it worth it?

Replies

• DS67ATX
    DS67ATX Posts: 289
    Options
    I use to have a membership to Gold's years back and if you can afford it its really worth the money.Big gym's have a lot to offer and offer classes with membership.Go for it.
  • Dexy_
    Dexy_ Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    That's the thing it would be well worth it if they had classes, but they don't.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    do any gyms offer free child care? that would also be a suggestion to take your kids with you!
  • Dexy_
    Options
    None offer child care, no.
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how motivated you are, and how you like to work out. For me personally, I do much better with classes and push myself harder when I'm in that setting, than if I do if left to my own devices....but for some, exercising on their own works much better. If the gym has free weights and some cardio equipment, you can do anything....you just need to be committed to it, and it will be worth the money. But there is so much you can do on your own at home, with very little or no equipment.
  • Dexy_
    Options
    I would LOVE to do classes. But they don't offer them, and the other gym in town is $14 a visit with no memberships available... so it really sucks!!
  • CrystalFlury
    CrystalFlury Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    There are other things you could do to workout. I'd consider doing some research on Amazon and find workout videos with good reviews. Right now I follow both Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred and Bob Harper's Biggest Loser Cardio Max.

I've had a membership to 24 Hour Fitness and didn't like it, I went pretty often but noticed they didn't actually stay open 24 Hours (not sure if they're typically open that long or if it's just the name). Anyway, I found that the only time their classes were available was when I couldn't go because of school.

It's your choice really, if it has too many negatives then don't waste the money, but if there's more positives then give it a try.

P.S. don't get sucked into paying for several months ahead of time, see if you can pay month to month.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Based on those prices and lack of benefits, I don't think it's worth it. If you're dedicated enough, I'd say invest in some DVD's and/or equipment that you can use at home. It will save you time and money in the long run!
  • Dexy_
    Options
    I have HEAPS of workout dvds.

p90x
    30 day shred
    6 week 6 pack
    Ripped in 30
    Killer Buns and Thighs
    Turbo Fire
    Turbo Jam
    10 Minute trainer
    zumba
    a few hollywood trainers
    insanity

It's just so BORING!! I don't have the room at home for equipment :(
  • Chrisandsteph99
    Options
    I think it's worth it but $65.00 is steep for one person.
  • Cr8tive_Ingenuity
    Options
    65 dollars a month is a RIPP off, find another gym
  • Athena413
    Options
    What about running? The only "equipment" that you really need is good running shoes. If your kids are old enough they could go with you, or you could get a jogging stroller and take them with you. I agree that DVD's can get super boring and I totally understand the lack of space issue! I just think $65/month for limited equipment and no other benefits is kind of a rip off. I pay $35/month at the Y for me and my husband, free child care (which doesn't matter for us because we don't have kids), unlimited free classes, pool, personal trainers (available at an additional cost - but not outrageous), and lots of other cool perks. It's not 24 hours, but it meets my needs without breaking the budget.
  • Dexy_
    Options

Only 3 gyms in my town. 1st is $65 a month, then $14 per visit no option for membership, third is $30 a year but $6 every time you go, plus extra $6 for a class. Nearest towns are over 30min drive away.
  • DatEpicChick
    DatEpicChick Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    MY gym membership is the best decision i have ever made. just to let you know <3
  • Dexy_
    Options
    What about running? The only "equipment" that you really need is good running shoes. If your kids are old enough they could go with you, or you could get a jogging stroller and take them with you. I agree that DVD's can get super boring and I totally understand the lack of space issue! I just think $65/month for limited equipment and no other benefits is kind of a rip off. I pay $35/month at the Y for me and my husband, free child care (which doesn't matter for us because we don't have kids), unlimited free classes, pool, personal trainers (available at an additional cost - but not outrageous), and lots of other cool perks. It's not 24 hours, but it meets my needs without breaking the budget.

I am FAR too scared to run at night (the only time I'd be able to) and I go on walks with the double pram (kids are 2.5 and 5 months), but it's usually cut very short because someone chucks a tanty. I usually end up walking with them 1-2 times a week.
  • Athena413
    Options
    A gym membership can be very valuable if it's in the budget, but only you can decide what the budget allows.
  • atxdee
    atxdee Posts: 613 Member
    Options

not sure where you guys are located but 65ish seems about average. In Austin, we have a gym here called Lifetime Fitness, offers classes, pool, sauna, the works really.. for 129 a month!
  • Gargwin82
    Gargwin82 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    My honest opinion on gyms is they lock you into contracts because they are almost certain most people will drop out. So charging $65 a month for a year or more. I had to fight tooth and nail to get out of a gym contract when I developed a health problem. Even with my doctor backing me up I ended up having to go to the privacy commisoner (they wanted to see test results!!) and the media. Yes $65 sounds like a reasonable ammount. If you consider being locked in over 12 months that's $780.00, the cost of a good piece of home workout equipment.

You already know you like classes more than just working out on machines. Are there local community centers that run zumba or yoga classes? A pool or even local trainers who do group classes?
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    $65 with no classes is kind of a rip off. The other gym, they offer classes? do they offer a 10 or 20 visit card? If so I'd recommend doing that, and just treating yourself to a class or 2 a week to ease the monotony.
  • ShadowSoldier23
    ShadowSoldier23 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    If you have the space at home I would invest that 65 a month in equipment for your home, maybe a bike or elliptical. Academy here has bikes and such for around 100 bucks a piece and you'd be able to have a few pieces at home for less than the cost of a membership for a year.