Gym Membership - Worth It?

Options

Replies

• Gargwin82
    Gargwin82 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    The average cost of a membership here is $35 to $50. Those are gyms that provide childcare, courses and trainers. I'm in Alberta Canada.
  • Dexy_
    Dexy_ Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    $65 with no classes is kind of a rip off. The other gym, they offer classes? do they offer a 10 or 20 visit card? If so I'd recommend doing that, and just treating yourself to a class or 2 a week to ease the monotony.

They do 10 visit cards, but you save a whole $2 from the normal price of just going 10 times!
  • papa3x
    papa3x Posts: 286
    Options
    $65 a months? Wow! Most gyms near me are about 35 to 40 bucks a month... and you CAN negotiate a price. I have done that before.

We have a brand new YMCA near us... I pay $1000 a year for 4 people.... and that includes indoor and outdoor pools. Plus I can use 5 different YMCAs... and be a guest at most any YMCA in the country for no charge. And it has TONS of free classes.... but it is only open from 5 AM until 10 PM most days.
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    if you would have said that you like to work out on your own, i would say go for it. but no, its really not worth it if you are already doubting it. i used to have to drive 30 minutes to go to a gym but it was only 15 dollars a month and had free tanning too. so it was worth it for me.
  • monicalynne68
    monicalynne68 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I belong to LA FItness. I don't know if they have one where you live but it is definitely worth it. It's $25 a month after a small registration fee. They have a free kids club so you take your kids. They have a ton of equipment and lots of classes
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    To those who are saying it's a rip off, these are the normal prices for gyms in Australia. I was lucky and got a foundation membership and that was still $48 a month. (and I have a strong feeling it's the same gym that Dexy is looking at because that's what their normal cost is) Dexy also has the difficulty of living in a country town so there are less options available for her. I'll be changing gyms when I move and I'll be lucky enough to live close to a gym that my work has a corporate membership avaliable for. It will be slightly more than I currently pay but I'll get access to a pool. They do classes but during the day (which is odd for a gym that is solely there for corporate memberships)

Dexy if you want classes then AF won't be a good option for you. I love the gym but I have never really been interested in classes. I did Curves for a bit but I got bored so quickly. Does your husband's work offer gym memberships through anywhere local?
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    $65 with no classes is kind of a rip off. The other gym, they offer classes? do they offer a 10 or 20 visit card? If so I'd recommend doing that, and just treating yourself to a class or 2 a week to ease the monotony.

They do 10 visit cards, but you save a whole $2 from the normal price of just going 10 times!

Still not too bad. Up here the avg monthly gym price is around $100/mo. I was going the 10 class card route myself, that way you're not paying for it if you can't go every week
  • ashjonnatp
    Options
    GOSH MAKES ME FEEL BLESSED FOR MY GYM! 20 DOLLARS A MONTH CLASSES! AND ALL THE EQUIPMENT YOU NEED!
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Ouch, I belong to a no contract gym, corporate discount so 60 bucks every three months but I would pay more, smartest thing i ever did, took me from a pound a week to around 2 most weeks.
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    65 dollars a month is a RIPP off, find another gym

not sure where you guys are located but 65ish seems about average. In Austin, we have a gym here called Lifetime Fitness, offers classes, pool, sauna, the works really.. for 129 a month!

wow! i live in madison wi and we have a gym with olympic size pools. tracks. 100's of machines. saunas. free child care. tenis courts basketball etc for 30 dollars a month lol.
  • TIFnFIT
    TIFnFIT Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Where are you located? If you like the classes then find a Jazzercise class nearby. We are EVERYWHERE! Jazzercise.com for locations close to you and FAR cheaper than $65/month and WAY MORE FUN!! Friend me if you have any other questions! Good Luck to you!
  • mste0195
    Options
    I have to agree on this one. Though I love my gym membership, I have the benefit of classes and child care. If you own a Wii there are some great options that your kids might enjoy joining you for. I recently received Wii Zumba 2 for the Wii. It tells you how many calories you burn during your work out and has step by step instructions. The other game I just recently received is the Jillian Michaels 2009 workout game (don't recall the full name off the top of my head). It is challenging but fun and my 4 year old loves to do the exercises with me.
    Just some options to avoid that fee. Plus I have several JM DVDs and The Biggest Loser DVDs as well. If you have the floor space I totally recommend them. The Biggest Loser Weight Loss Yoga is amazing!
    Good luck!
  • onegoalabs
    Options
    Does the gym have treadmills, ellipticals, free weights, and machine weights? Is there enough of these machines? Do they work? What kind of environment is it? Do you like the environment? Is it clean? Is the gym packed full of people at the time you plan on going?
  • Gargwin82
    Gargwin82 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Maybe try the punch cards for a couple times, if you find you like it and you're sticking to it then sign up for a membership. That way you're not locked in.
  • ElPumaMex
    ElPumaMex Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I can see that where you live in Australia, choices are limited, so they are $$$ and many with no classes

What about this one?
    http://www.xtrafit.com.au/classes.html

It is expensive, but does offer classes ! (25km from your city)
    also offers Child Minding facilities on weekday mornings and for all Group Fitness Classes
  • garnet1483
    garnet1483 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Two things: first, check with your local dance studios. Half the time now, if they offer classes for adults, they'll have zumba, or yoga, or whatever's trendy. It can be a great way to mix things up, and it's usually cheaper than a gym membership. Second, if you have a hospital locally (or a physical therapy center), check and see if they have a fitness center that's open to the public. It's not all that common, but some do, and the membership rates tend to be a lot lower than the average gym.
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    For no classes I'd say it wasn't worth it.
    I'm in NSW too (Bathurst) and pay $60 a month but I do 5-6 classes a weeks so its great value.
    Are there no running/fitness clubs of any kind where you are? x
  • Dexy_
    Dexy_ Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Does your husband's work offer gym memberships through anywhere local?

Unfortunately No :(

Looks like I'm gonna have to either bite the bullet and pay it or go without!
  • twiztedgrl69
    twiztedgrl69 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    65 dollars a month is a RIPP off, find another gym

Agreed! I pay $14/month for my gym and that includes 2 hours of daycare, all equipment, pool, sauna, movie cardio room
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I pay $19/month for the community center..includes gym, track and 2 pools. The classes cost a little extra but usually $30 for 10 weeks so not bad :)