Exercising isn't going...at all

Options
So,
I have lost a few pounds. Well actually I am down to 238 from 257. sot hat is good and I can see that. However, I do not exercise. I have tried martial arts, which I like but it toooo expensive, especially considering we are about to have our first kid. I am hoping that will motivate me.

I had a TIA (mini stroke. Trans Ischemic Attack). You'd think that'd kick my *kitten* into gear. it did but that was a couple months ago and I am starting to return to old habits. I don't want to. But apparently I do want to too. I am in therapy and I eat for lots of reasons and I have never done for myself. I had to do for others so this concept of taking care of myself is so foreign I just don;t understand. I know the logic behind it but the emotions just stop me.

When I try, I never go through the entire 20 minutes of the bike session or anything. I try to walk the dog, bot that's more for the dog. I can picture a place where I am in shape, I just don't seem to want to get there bad enough. I don't know why. I even hired a personal trainer. Something is holding me back (and yeah, obviously ti is me) and I am trying to figure out what it is. Any thoughts?

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    All you need to do is lift weights 3 times a week for 20-40 mins.

Dont over think it!

Another thing to look into is a book called The Naked Warrior.
    It teaches techniques on bodyweight training and you wont need any weights at all.

It is crucial you lift while losing weight especially if you are trying to lose fat.

Question for you...how many calories are you eating daily and how tall are you?
  • Hsnopi
    Hsnopi Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Am I supposed to eat or do I eat?

I try for 1600. I am 6'2" tall, programmer, thus a sedentary lifestyle. 46" chest, 42" waist. I have a herniated disc in my lower back (had surgery) and my knees and shoulders grind. I am doing "alright" on food in that even though I screw up frequently I have still managed to lose weight. Though I am plateaued at about 238. My lungs are very screwed up. When I was young I have bronchitis and pneumonia every year of my life for the first 12 years, and my parents both smoked. I do not. We eat whole foods as much as we can. Mostly there is an emotional roadblock I cannot seem to get over or even clearly identify.
  • Weezieishness
    Weezieishness Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you haven't found a type of exercise you enjoy enough to really feel motivated to do it. That was my problem for a long time, weights bored me, treadmills bored me, I dreaded doing exercise so I could never stick at it long.

But I've discovered I really love dancing and particularly I enjoy video games that involve exercise. This is for a few reasons, like I can do it at home, any time, at 7am in my pyjamas if I like. Also it's because when I'm playing Zumba fitness on the PS3 or Wii Fit or something like that, I can focus on achieving particular goals within the game, unlocking things, getting trophies, etc. So I kinda forget I'm actually doing exercise.

You say you like martial arts. So maybe find a martial arts class, get a friend or someone to join too, and try to be inspired by the chance to learn something and excel at it, rather than doing exercise for the sake of exercise, because that's never fun.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    Am I supposed to eat or do I eat?

I try for 1600. I am 6'2" tall, programmer, thus a sedentary lifestyle. 46" chest, 42" waist. I have a herniated disc in my lower back (had surgery) and my knees and shoulders grind. I am doing "alright" on food in that even though I screw up frequently I have still managed to lose weight. Though I am plateaued at about 238. My lungs are very screwed up. When I was young I have bronchitis and pneumonia every year of my life for the first 12 years, and my parents both smoked. I do not. We eat whole foods as much as we can. Mostly there is an emotional roadblock I cannot seem to get over or even clearly identify.

For your height and weight you dont eat enough.
    First thing is boosting protein and fats to about 30% and carbs at 40%.
    Then eat at least 2k calories daily.
    A person 5'3" eats about 1600 to drop weight.
    You are losing fat and lean mass then your BMR says WTF?!?!?!?! And slows the metabolism.

I can help you to an extent.
    PM me for details.
  • Hsnopi
    Options
    I do. It's the money. Around here classes are like $150/month. and no that isn't a lot, unless you don't have it. That is kind of where I am. We can't cut back budgets any more than we have. I mean we are turning off the lights next.

But yes, I agree. I need a motivation. I also can;t stand exercise for exercise sake. Maybe I need to just figure out how to get into a martial arts school anyway. Maybe I can barter.

Are there people out there who have been in this position and want to comment? I mean when I exercise I just feel like giving up. I can go chop wood for 2 hours, literally, but exercise no. I am our of household projects to do and out of wood.
  • Hsnopi
    Options
    @Dan....I appreciate the offer and I may take you up on that. I was just going by what the MFP said. I use the phone app...sometimes. I need to get back to it. Maybe I need to do a daily check-in here. Part of logging the food is I can spend so much darn time finding the food to log it. I mean MFP is great but it gets tedious. However, that is probably an excuse.

Really it's the mental part I am having an issue with.
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Finding an exercise that you enjoy will make a huge difference. I love dancing and cycling. Fortunately my husband loves them both as well so we can do them together. At first I really enjoyed cycling alone but lately I have realised that I not only enjoy it more when we ride together or with others, but I also work harder.

good luck.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    @Dan....I appreciate the offer and I may take you up on that. I was just going by what the MFP said. I use the phone app...sometimes. I need to get back to it. Maybe I need to do a daily check-in here. Part of logging the food is I can spend so much darn time finding the food to log it. I mean MFP is great but it gets tedious. However, that is probably an excuse.

Really it's the mental part I am having an issue with.

True that!
    I've gotten to a point on the iPhone where my database is full of everything I always eat that I just multi-add it!

Send me:
    weight
    body fat% http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/mbf/
    waist measurement
    how often you work out

I'll run some numbers for you.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Are there people out there who have been in this position and want to comment? I mean when I exercise I just feel like giving up. I can go chop wood for 2 hours, literally, but exercise no. I am our of household projects to do and out of wood.

You can lose weight on little exercise.

The secret is having enough daily activity rather than just true workouts. Like wood chopping, walking slowly as you like, taking stairs if possible, take that dog out for both your sakes.

Your biggest potential problem is if you told MFP too aggressive a goal. It will more than willingly give you a goal potentially well below your BMR.
    If you net below your BMR on a constant basis, it will lower to what you feed it.

Do you feel like missing out on a potential 200-300 calories of free burn each and every day, by having a suppressed metabolism.

Give Dan the numbers, confirm the BMR matches what MFP says, notice they probably set your daily goal below it, and then follow Dan's suggestions.

Even without true workouts, you can do this with increased daily activity, exactly the type that burns fat for energy, and you don't need to eat back.

But suppress your BMR/metabolism, and you are just missing out on 200-300 more calorie burn, and I know you are at the fine line to do that.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    find something that suits the physical limitations you have, and build on time after time. starting off slow is better than nothing. the worse workout is no workout at all.
  • Hsnopi
    Options
    thanks for the feed back. Another other mental stuff would be appreciated.