Knee issues?

Options
I've been working out for about a month. I started out doing too much and have backed off quite a bit so I am able to eat enough to match my burned calories. I'm having the biggest problem doing any kind of running or impact on my left knee. I mostly do elliptical or arc trainer for cardio and then aerobics. Even squats hurt.

Any suggestions for what I can do? Im overweight but not by much anymore. Do I need to see someone or just try using a brace. I have a lightweight brace and it helps but not enough. I stretch before and after each workout.

Replies

• dana01996
    dana01996 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Clearly, you should see someone if you are experiencing pain. An orthopedist would be the guy I would recommend.
    And don't worry, they don't automatically throw you under the knife, they usually try a more graduated approach, or at least that has been my experience.
    Also, you could make sure you have properly fitted shoes for your running, including a good gait analysis.
    Good luck.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    Personally I'd have it checked out, especially if it's hindering your movement both in exercise and just walking. The worst the doctor would tell you would be to get some physical therapy and that pretty much works in your favor anyway.
  • jwcabell
    Options
    I can only imagine what a gait analysis would show, lol. My whole left side is screwed up from my last baby. I think I'm scared to see someone b/c of the whole under the knife thing. My last time going under didn't go so well, so I'm terrified of having to do it again for any reason. I'm only 32! My body should not be falling apart like this. Ugh. I'll make an appointment on Monday.
    Thanks! :-)
  • tinkermommc
    tinkermommc Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I'm 32 too and Dr said that they prefer not to operate on under 50s because you'll end up with multiple surgeries. I'm on aleve 2x a day until the daily pain stops(2 months and then check back in with him). And I got some exercises to do for my knee. I also switched my cardio into the pool! Lap swimming and water aerobics are great and no knee impact. Good luck, knee pain with children sucks!