Non-girlie push-ups.

Options
nz_deevaa
nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
I've read that full push-ups are much better for you because they engage so many more muscles.

I've been working out for about 10mths now, and can do approx 25 'girls' push-ups (from my knees), but I want to move to 'full' push-ups. But I'm a bit scared that I just won't be able to lift myself off the ground.

I'm a little over 100kgs. How many full push-ups is a reasonable number to expect myself to be able to do, starting out?

Are there any tricks to achieving good form?

How many can you do? And how long did it take for you to get there?

Replies

• beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I've been working out for years and still do the "girly" ones and I have nice lil muscles in my arms, the full one's are just too hard for me to do, sure I can do a few but I don't dwell on it........
  • annameier8706
    annameier8706 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I can do about 10 "normal" push ups in a row. The way I started being able to do them was simply by doing them. When you're doing your pushups do as many as you can on your toes before you put your knees down. Even if you can only do one, at least it's one! Every day push your self for on more than the day before on your toes. If you're scared you won't be able to lift youself, do it when no one else is around and no one will ever know :wink: :laugh:
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I started doing 1-2 pushups then would drop to my knees and finish the set doing modified pushups. Each week I added 1-2 regular to my set then drop to my knees to finish it off. I can do 2 sets of 15 regular pushups now. Add slowly, and you will be able to do it.
  • mstawnya
    mstawnya Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Check out this website to get you started: http://hundredpushups.com/ My goal is to do 50 this year. I'm up to 33 right now and just starting week 3. Good luck!
  • 140tohealthy
    Options
    Oh, you don't even need to worry about that. I'm 135 lbs and I can't do full push-ups. I think it's got more to do with muscle strength (which I obviously lack... for now!) than body weight. I say, you should try it. Even if you just do one. Just try for a little more each day.
  • swilk627
    swilk627 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Jillian MIchales taught me how to do push-ups. :P

At the beginning of the year, I couldn't do any real push-ups. The other day, I did 100 real push-ups - in sets of 25.
  • laursey
    laursey Posts: 307
    Options
    I started out with the girlie ones. Then I got brave about three months later and decided to give the non girlie ones a try. I shocked the heck out of myself. I can do 20 in a row now. Try a couple and if you have to drop down to your knees again, no biggie. At least you gave it a shot. Just keep your body in a straight line, don't stick your butt in the air or sway your back and keep your core engage at all times. The farther your hands are apart the easier, same goes for your feet. You can also start out doing them with your hands on a workout bench or push a chair against the wall, that way you don't have as much weight to push up.
    Good luck.
    You're stronger than you think!
  • nz_deevaa
    Options
    If you're scared you won't be able to lift youself, do it when no one else is around and no one will ever know :wink: :laugh:

Hehe... Won't be doing full push-ups at the gym til I know I can do em!
  • monicalynne68
    monicalynne68 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    max X 3 sets. Don't focus on the number. Do as many as you can, rest for 1 minute and then do it again. Do 3 sets. Each day try to add 1 more. Make sure your body is aligned. Don't stick your butt up in the air. Your body should be like a a stiff board and in a straight line as you raise and lower.
  • Beckym1205
    Beckym1205 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    If you can do 25 girly ones you should be able to do at least one real push up. Try it, see how many you can do, you may just surprise yourself.
  • nz_deevaa
    Options
    If you can do 25 girly ones you should be able to do at least one real push up. Try it, see how many you can do, you may just surprise yourself.

I'm home alone, so I did.

5 shakey, not terribly deep, non-girly push-ups! Huzzah! LOL.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    The Naked Warrior teaches that using proper tension throughout the body you can add 20% more power to your push up!

So to teach this to you ill break it down.

1 do a standard plank for 30seconds to 1 min.
    Be sure you lock your arms and keep your body absolutely straight.
    Your abs and back should be locked and tense.
    Your glutes should be locked like you are pinching a coin between your crack.
    You should be on the balls of your feet and not on the sides.
    Tense your biceps and "pull" yourself to the ground in a controlled motion.
    No flopping around!
    Dont let your abs or back go.
    Dont let your glutes go.
    Slowly lower till your chest is close to the ground.
    Keep the body tense the whole time.

Now this is what blew my mind when I read it but...only do 12.
    Very slow...very controlled...full body tensed like in a plank.

When I started doing pushups I was unable to do them elevated with my feet 2' in the air.
    With proper technique I can crank out about 40 of them.

Check out the book The Naked Warrior.
    Its a quick read and the guy really knows his stuff!

It has me doing 1 arm pushups now and working towards 1 arm 1 leg pushups.
  • paxetamore
    paxetamore Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I found it helpful to build up my plank time first, then it was not so much stress on form, plus i had the confidence to to just stat lifting my own (uber!)weight.

Best wishes on your journey!
  • Hsnopi
    Hsnopi Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have not tried this but a military friend of mine recommends the following.

Do as many Full push-ups as you can, even if it is one, or none, engage those muscles and try. By trying you can still get the exercise. Then do as many knee push-ups as you can. Then stand against a wall, inclined slightly and do as many as you can, the do NOT do any push-ups the day after. Rinse Wash Repeat.

As for only knee (girlie) push-ups only. That is also fine. If it gets you exercising that that is the goal.
  • mebohan
    mebohan Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    bump
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    just try to do them, i dont understand the fear involved. what exactly is the worse thing that can happen?

when i was at my heaviest (230) i was able to complete the 100 push up challenge doing full push ups, so dont let your body weight hold you off either.

the way i worked up to doing them was first doing them against a wall, then on step risers. as i go stronger i'd just take out a step riser. but you have to challenge yourself. so once you can do 15 on one level, go to the next harder level. even if you can only do 5 it's still better than not challenging yourself. eventually you'll be doing them without risers and then you can work on some harder variations.

as far as the differences between bent and straight leg, I have a wonky right shoulder and i'd say each taxes my shoulder equally. i think the main difference is that your core muscles are more engaged in the straight leg variation.