Im super confused.

Options
Hey everyone. So I have a couple questions. I have quite a bit of weight to loose and I am confused on the whole cardio and strength training thing. Should I be concentrating on cardio while I am trying to get most of the weight off.....or should I be doing both? I am really new to this whole thing and was thinking about starting the 30 day shred but I read on here some people gained weight doing that. Now I know its because they gained muscle....but since I am trying to loose weight should I just worry about cardio and strength train later? I am just confused on this whole thing. Can someone give me advice on what types of workouts I should be doing? Or explain this whole thing to me? Thanks everyone!

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Work out 3-5 times a week.
    Cardio is fantastic because you are "burning fat" as you run!
    If you do 20 mins of cardio first thing in the morning on an empty stomach its even better!

Weight lifting is even more important because when you are eating 1600-1800 calories a day you stand a chance of losing lean mass.
    By lifting you are building strength by tearing down the muscle so the food you eat is used to repair!
    Lift heavy for 20 mins 3 times a week.
    5-8 reps with 5-8 being very hard lifts!

you are eating 1600-1800 calories a day right?

Also be sure you have MFP set for optimal fat loss!
    Macros should be appx 30% Protein and Fat and 40% carbs!
  • sarahness
    sarahness Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Work out 3-5 times a week.
    Cardio is fantastic because you are "burning fat" as you run!
    If you do 20 mins of cardio first thing in the morning on an empty stomach its even better!

Weight lifting is even more important because when you are eating 1600-1800 calories a day you stand a chance of losing lean mass.
    By lifting you are building strength by tearing down the muscle so the food you eat is used to repair!
    Lift heavy for 20 mins 3 times a week.
    5-8 reps with 5-8 being very hard lifts!

you are eating 1600-1800 calories a day right?

Also be sure you have MFP set for optimal fat loss!
    Macros should be appx 30% Protein and Fat and 40% carbs!

I am eating 1800 calories a day. What does the cardio do to you on an empty stomach? Should I be doing cardio in the morning 3 times a week and then strength training at night 3 times a week? Also...should I eat the calories back that I burn off?
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    At 1800 calories you could eat back what you burn.
    Id stay out of the 1400-1500 zone because that could put you too close to BMR.

Running on an empty stomach uses up the glycogen from the night before.
    Once the glycogen is gone you are truly burning fat!
    But limit this to about 20-30 mins because you dont want to wear yourself out!

You do your best work when you are fresh!
    Working to failure is exactly that!

WTG on having higher calories though!
    Most people jump on the 1200 calorie fail wagon early in the game!
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options

Why?

edit: we posted at the same time!
  • phlower
    phlower Posts: 103
    Options
    A pound of muscle burns more calories than a pound of fat, so i definitely say do both. Stength training will slow down your actual weight loss, but you will lose more inches which is what everyone sees! Take your measurements regluarly, and try not to let the scale discourage you. Stay at a caloric deficit and you will see results.

Strength training not only helps you tone and retain the muscle you have, but it's good for your bones and helps support all the changes your body is going through. Start small, do some crunches and push-ups, lift light weights, and work your way up. Hope this helps!
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    Stength training will slow down your actual weight loss, but you will lose more inches which is what everyone sees! Take your measurements regluarly, and try not to let the scale discourage you. Stay at a caloric deficit and you will see results.

Strength training not only helps you tone and retain the muscle you have, but it's good for your bones and helps support all the changes your body is going through. Start small, do some crunches and push-ups, lift light weights, and work your way up. Hope this helps!

I wouldnt say it slows down weight loss. If you go from a VLCD to a standard 20% cut from TDEE then yes! You are no longer losing 2lbs a week with 50% of that as lean mass.
    Sarah here already eats the proper cals a day so weight loss should still be 1lb a week with strength gains.
  • sarahness
    sarahness Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone!