planning meals ahead

Options
I was wondering if I planned all my meals for the week, if that would help me to stay within the calorie limit.

I am finding it really hard to stay within the calorie limit since the new year and I have also put on weight.

does anyone one plan meals ahead and does it help you?

Replies

• DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I try hard to plan meals ahead of time, but they never work out like I plan. For example, I'll plan out 3 meals and 2 snacks. It doesn't work out, though, because maybe instead of toast and eggs for breakfast, I want cereal. Maybe I don't want a snack at night. Maybe I will end up going out on Wednesday instead of staying home to make chicken. Some people it works really well for, though. I know a few people who plan their meals a week in advance, and it's working wonders for them. They also have a "choice day" in the week, where they will have a choice of chicken or tuna, equal calorie amount, to have some sort of variety. It all depends on the person. Try it out for a week, and see if it works for you!
  • Avengertk
    Options
    I plan on a daily basis and do my best not to change it.. then I jsut add in my snacks it works for me I kinda treat my kitchen as a restaurant and pr ordered food ... restaurant also has closing times lol
  • granolagrl85
    Options
    I plan everything. Not for calories but for cost and time effectiveness.
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    It makes a big difference. I do it, and it really helps me stay on top of my meals and planning. I work 12 hour night shifts, so I take one day a week, write out a menu, plan my calories around my menu, and add fruits, veggies, and nuts. Every Monday and Friday, I put these meals together, and I freeze what can be frozen and I just put in the fridge the rest. I have me planned calories plus my added fruit, nuts, veggies and what ever else I decide to add, I throw it in a bag and off to work I go. It not only saves me time, but I don't have to stress out over going over my calories for the day.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if I planned all my meals for the week, if that would help me to stay within the calorie limit.

I am finding it really hard to stay within the calorie limit since the new year and I have also put on weight.

does anyone one plan meals ahead and does it help you?

Wait...whats your calorie limit?
  • BlaireV
    BlaireV Posts: 137
    Options
    Sometimes, I log the night before what I THINK I'm going to eat the next day, simply because it saves time. It usually does change a little though, but I still find it effective and it seems to help me stay under :)
  • JulesKilvo
    JulesKilvo Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I only plan ahead by a day. I will sit on a night and enter the next days log. I find only doing it 1 day ahead does keep me accountable and I do seem to stick to it a lot more then entering it as I eat it.
  • kiyawow
    kiyawow Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I do plan lunch and breakfast, but thats a time, and cost things but I will sometimes swap a day around but will try and stick to what I have planned. Evenings is harder as have to wait and see if I am cooking for one or two.. something you just cant be bothered to do if just for one of you. Also looking at finding one new lunch and dinner meal a week to add more variety. Good luck, all I would say is try and plan for some if not all the week and see how you go, then look at what you did and didnt like and break it down that way to see what works for you.x
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I plan my menu by day, usually while eating breakfast that morning. By then I can usually tell what my needs are going to be for the day by what I plan for activities and what not. Also if I plan while I eat (my pre portioned breakfast) I won't see all the food listed and run for the fridge becuase I am already eating, lol

So yes Definitley a fan of pre planning but for me daily, because its a daily reminder for me to be aware of my food/intake.

Seeing what I have planned for the day makes it easier for me to know what is going into my mouth at all times and spread my calories through out the day. I am working on getting the balance and when I started pre planning (this week) I realized I was relying far to much on snacks to get my calories in ( I am a natural grazer) but now I am trying really hard to have meals/mini meals throughout the day. Its a trial and error but I would have never realized it without pre planning and I don't think I would be able to find that balance without it. PLUS the meals are more satisfying than the snacks and keep me fuller longer so I'm not going over everyday because I am starving!

Best of luck finding what works for you! :flowerforyou:
  • nymple
    nymple Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I do a menu for the week and buy my shopping according to that. I will swap days around or sometimes improvise if I can't be bothered to cook but mostly this helps me not to waste money and stick to my calories. Plus I always try to make 2 extra portions as most recipes are for 4 and then me and my OH have lunch for the next day too.

I understand it may not work for everyone but it does for me :)
  • loopybec2002
    loopybec2002 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I plan every morning to check calories but I always plan if I am going out for dinner.
  • abehm345
    Options
    Every Monday I plan my family's meals from Tuesday thru the next Monday. I started doing it because when we couldn't figure out what we wanted to eat, we would make a quick trip to McDonalds or something. I usually stick with what I plan, but if we do decide to change, I only switch it with other days of the week. I also try making things a little more weight-loss friendly. It works for me because if we have something that is high in calories one day, I know to have a smaller meal the next day. I'm able to balance it out. As for snacks, I bought a load of those special K cracker chips. Those things are soooo yummy and filling. Its 27 chips for 110 calories, however, I very rarely make it to 27 chips before I start getting full and tired of eating. :)
  • 226Muriel
    226Muriel Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I only plan ahead by a day. I will sit on a night and enter the next days log. I find only doing it 1 day ahead does keep me accountable and I do seem to stick to it a lot more then entering it as I eat it.

ABSOLUTE PLAN AHEAD...ONE DAY AT A TIME IS ALWAYS BEST.

I DO HAVE 7 DAY PLAN...BUT IT IS ALWAYS ADJUSTED DUE TO SCHEDULES AND ETC...SO, WHATEVER I PLANNED FOR TUESDAY MAY NOT ACTUALLY HAPPEN UNTIL THURSDAY....

THE KEY::::: AS WE USUALLY KNOW WHAT OUR SCHEDULE WILL BE THE NEXT DAY, EITHER THE NIGHT BEFORE OR EARLY A.M. LOG YOUR DAY...MAKE SURE YOU ADD SUGAR/SODIUM TO FOOD DIARY LIST. SINCE ADDING THIS, MY CHOICES ARE SOMETIMES CHANGED SO THAT I REMAIN WITHIN MY DAILY ACTION PLAN....

BOTTOM LINE::::CONSISTENCY + COMMITMENT = RESULTS:flowerforyou:
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    ~ Oddly enough I eat the same things on a daily basis ... making it pretty simple to plan my day with as little time or thought as possible. The problem is people try to eat foods they really don't care for and are constantly wanting something " different ". Find foods / meals you love that are healthy in every way ! Make sure the required nutrients are met and that you have a variety of color in your veggies !

The truth is ... If you eat a well balanced diet that includes everything necessary to provide optimum performance in your daily existence ... you'll do just fine. I know ... your thinking : don't you get bored " ??? Nope ! I am eating everything I love on a daily basis ... I actually crave my menu and look forward to my meal times !

Now ... I don't do this 24 / 7 / 365 .... But, I do it 5 days a week on my work schedule. On my days off ... well that's Sushi time ! :tongue:

Here is a link to some great ideas of what is needed on a daily basis :

http://www.prevention.com/food/healthy-eating-tips/25-super-healthy-foods

Hey ... it's not for everybody ... but it works for me ! :wink:
  • kiwi1855
    kiwi1855 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I plan about 3 days to a week ahead whenever I can. The weekend always throws me for a curveball, but by the time my work week starts, I know what I'm doing the next 4 days.

It helps me figure out exactly what I'm eating, so my grocery list is concise and to the point, and nothing that is not required is purchased or brought into the house. Plus, my family's saying was always "eat! You never know when your next meal will be" (which was odd... because we always had enough...), and I think that was one of the reasons that I became overweight in the first place - I would eat until I was overfull, and then do it again the next meal. By planning and *knowing* ahead of time, I find it easier to stick within my calorie goals.
  • Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Overheard at my house yesterday: "I'm going grocery shopping. What does everyone want for dinners this week? No, I'm not making biscuits & gravy. How about soup? OK, spaghetti, stir fry, pot roast . . . oh, and salmon is on sale, so we're going to try that again. We still have pasties in the freezer, so I'll make more next week."

I try to plan out dinners for the week, and I usually plan out my own meals the night before. Sometimes I change things up as I go, but I find that it does help if I have a plan.
  • karoumee
    karoumee Posts: 100
    Options
    thanks everybody for having taken time to answer!

I will try planning for a week and see how it goes.
    right now am on 1200calorie.

planning daily seems to be successful also and like 226muriel rightly said, consistency + commitment = results :)

laney540 thanks for the link, very interesting!

I am feeling that planning meals will have good results, along with exercise of course. ;)

thanks again for having taken time to answer!