Gym Membership - Worth It?

Options
13»

Replies

• ShadowSoldier23
    ShadowSoldier23 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearch?langId=-1&storeId=10151&Ns=NowPrice|0&N=619960566&catalogId=10051&Nao=0

There are bikes for 100 bucks and even an elliptical for 120...if you invest in a home gym (as I said if you have the space) you might just save money in the long run and have your own small home gym. Work out videos might be a good investment as well. You can also find cheap equipment on craigslist or at garage sales.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Dexy I do believe you don't need gym membership to lose weight. It's up to you. I really, really like that gym the one I have here is top notch. But if you desperately want classes don't both signing up. You'll be wasting your money and it's an 18 month contract.

Everyone who's offering helpful advise, please note the OP lives in Australia not America.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    To those who are saying it's a rip off, these are the normal prices for gyms in Australia. I was lucky and got a foundation membership and that was still $48 a month. (and I have a strong feeling it's the same gym that Dexy is looking at because that's what their normal cost is) Dexy also has the difficulty of living in a country town so there are less options available for her. I'll be changing gyms when I move and I'll be lucky enough to live close to a gym that my work has a corporate membership avaliable for. It will be slightly more than I currently pay but I'll get access to a pool. They do classes but during the day (which is odd for a gym that is solely there for corporate memberships)

Dexy if you want classes then AF won't be a good option for you. I love the gym but I have never really been interested in classes. I did Curves for a bit but I got bored so quickly. Does your husband's work offer gym memberships through anywhere local?

Yuup. The first gym I joined was $80 per month, the one I go to now is $48.. cheapest I could find!
  • Lozze
    Options
    Yuup. The first gym I joined was $80 per month, the one I go to now is $48.. cheapest I could find!

Same. I used to do Fernwood and while I loved the gym was just too expensive.

I WISH we had super cheap gyms here, but we don't. The $48 a month that I pay (in a capital city no less!) is super, super cheap. $65 is the standard.
  • Lozze
    Options

Same. I used to do Fernwood and while I loved the gym was just too expensive.

I WISH we had super cheap gyms here, but we don't. The $48 a month that I pay (in a capital city no less!) is super, super cheap. $65 is the standard.
  • Jamiegirl2009
    Jamiegirl2009 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I personally don't think so. really how many times are you willing to go??
    you have to ask yourself a million questions about your time, family, how it will work with your life not how your life will fit into the gym.

Personally I just bought my final piece to my own home gym. so no more excuses for me.

Good luck in your decision.
  • melrose09
    Options
    To me, that's a little bit of a rip off! I pay $52/month which includes unlimited visits, unlimited child care for 1 child, and unlimited classes. We get a military discount on the basic rate, but even without that it's only $65/month for ALL that stuff and our gym is pretty nice.
  • adeli2010
    Options
    $65 a month? my 24 hr fitness here charges you an initial fee of $65 but that's for your first month and last month. After the initial fee they charge us here $26/month. But I go to LA fitness and I pay 32.64/ month because I need a gym that has a pool, sadly 24 hr here doesn't have a pool. I don't know about 24/hr, but LA Fitness has a little area where they take care of kids.
  • adeli2010
    Options
    Check if there is another 24HR around that offers more stuff.
  • dreambig_gohome
    dreambig_gohome Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    YES. Yes Yes Yes. I spend a lot of time conditioning, and have several equipment and some weight sets in my "home gym" in the basement, yet I STILL pay for my gym membership. I think part of it for me is eliminating the chance to make excuses to not work out. I have a lot of willpower and am committed to this, but there are things in your home that can distract you from the focus you need on your workouts. Also, I love having access to equipment I wouldnt have working out at home solely. I'm also super competitive and even if I don't know the people in my gym, I like pretending I'm in mini-races with them at times just to push myself harder. I only go to the gym a couple times a week depending on my work schedule and my body, and complete the rest of my workouts at home, but I can usually manage a 900 calorie burn session at the gym...i'm lucky to get 300 calories at home.

I think it comes down to how badly you want to cross train and how effective you want your work outs to be. The gym is typically the better option for me for a harder core workout.
  • Jambe
    Jambe Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I just joined a 24 hr friday for no activation or cancelling fees... 19.99 month :D I love the pool lanes. I got tired of waiting for the weather to warm up and have a few weeks of vacation so figured it would be a good time to join as any. Went in with a 7 day pass and they offered me that deal. Kinda hard to pass that up... :p
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    If its a no contract $65 a month, go for it if its the cheapest around. I guess I'm spoiled living in a metro-area, because I can find gyms anywhere from $15 a month to $250 a month for a single person. I won't pay over $35 a month for a gym membership, unless it had child care...and even then I'd have to think about it.

However, for $65 a month they place better be clean and the equipment in working condition. If a piece of equipment breaks, they should fix it within a few days to a week. Look at the bathrooms and showers. If the bathrooms and showers are clean, the rest of the place is most likely clean. Also since its 24 hours, how would you get in? Is the door always unlocked or is it key card access only. And go when you're most likely going to workout to see how the crowd is. If its too busy and you can't get on any equipment, take your $65 a month and invest it somewhere else.
  • shine_
    shine_ Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Sounds a bit expensive if you don't even get classes. :/ Especially if that is something you would have liked to do as well. We have a 24 hour gym, without classes here and it is £14 a month, so about $22, and there is no contract, so you don't have to commit. I know that's exceptionally good but I think that is the max I'd pay for a gym that literally only offers equipment. But then again, I love classes!