What time do you eat your dinner?

Options
Personally I eat mine usually around 7pm. Fact or myth, I'm not sure, but I've heard two different times for this. After 5 you're metabolism slows down. Also I've heard after 7pm. So I just assume between the hours of 5 and 7 is when your metabolism slows down for the day. So second question, is this true or does this vary from person to person?

Replies

• hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Hour of the day doesn't matter.

Meal frequency doesn't matter.

Your body doesn't know time.
  • Grraanntttt
    Options
    you should eat so that your food has time to go down and digest before bed, food will take no more then 4 hours to fully go down, so if you go to bed at 10, eat at 6 :)
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Hour of the day doesn't matter.

Meal frequency doesn't matter.

Your body doesn't know time.

^
    this

I work graveyard hours so dinner for me is really whenever. usually between 3-6am
  • bgillis7
    bgillis7 Posts: 124
    Options
    try to by 7-830
  • paisley2288
    paisley2288 Posts: 913 Member
    Options
    between 7 and 8 because when you go to sleep you can't burn those calories!
  • Sabineslims
    Options
    I eat at 7 but I don't think what time really matters. I like to eat at least a few hours before bed time just to let the food digest some before going in to my drooling coma.

I live in Spain and the Spaniards usually eat at 9 or 10 and int he summer, sometimes as late as midnight. It makes eating out interesting :)

If I am going to be eating closer to my bed time, I just eat a bit lighter. I don't like having a super full stomach and conkin' out.
  • supershiny
    supershiny Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Wait wait wait... people, your body does know time. Circadian rhythm and all that. That's why if you get up at the same time every day you start to get up before your alarm goes off.

But is there a specific time you should eat? When you are hungry ^_^ As for me, I generally eat when I get home from work, around 8:30. However, if I am peckish before that I will eat earlier.
  • da_sammit
    da_sammit Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    wow.. am i the only person who eats dinner around 5-6pm?? haahaha.
  • glamorouszombie
    Options
    lol since im a student I usually eat around 4. hey I get hungry lol.
  • prettybub
    prettybub Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    In my house generally between 6-7 . I have kids and they get obnoxious if dinner is late.
  • Katy8967
    Katy8967 Posts: 41 Member
    Options

I tend to eat around 5 because thats when my son does... and im british so "tea time" is about 5/6 pm lol xx
  • mrFerris
    mrFerris Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I have dinner around 5 - 6pm only because I cook for the boys when they get home from school. If I am cooking for my wife and I to eat together, Fridays usually, then around 7pm. Weekends we tend to eat our main meal at lunch time so 'tea' happens at around 5pm.
  • pinktulip76
    Options
    4.30 pm most of the time the latest would be 5.30- 6.00 pm
  • linzirussell
    linzirussell Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    i usually have oatmeal as my last meal of the day at around 8/9 lol
  • garza71
    Options
    If by dinner you are meaning main/largest meal of the day I try and eat this between noon and 2pm, and include the largest proportion of protien and carbs for the day, gives me fuel for the day and time to burn some of it off, I then usually have something lighter about 6-7 a salad for expample and if i get hungry later a couple of rice cakes
  • thickmomma0519
    Options
    I always eat between 7 and 8 because I have to get my kids settled and out of my hair before I sit down to eat. The trick I use, in case the myth is true, is I save my last cardio workout for the day until after I eat dinner. That should amp up your metabolism long enough to digest. I also don't go straight to bed after I eat. Lying down on a full stomach isn't going to do anything good for you.
  • clarinh0
    Options
    6-7.30 :)
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options

Nope. I start cooking at 5 and by 5:30-6, we're eating.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I try to eat 5 or 6 times a day:

Breakfast 9am
    snack 11am
    Lunch 1pm
    Snack 4pm
    Dinner 7pm
    Bedtime snack / cocoa: 10pm

I like to get home, do my exercise and then eat immediately. I usually cook up lots of meals at weekends and then freeze them so I just have to defrost stuff in the microwave on weeknights.
  • cantobean
    cantobean Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    The "don't eat after x pm" is a method people use to curb grazing and late snacking. If you don't have an issue with late night snacking, eat dinner whenever you want. Yes, your body will burn calories while you sleep.