PROOF MOMMY'S CAN HAVE FLAT TUMMY'S

Options
snookumss
snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
http://www.ironmanmagazine.com/site/ashley-horner/

Check her out :D She is amazing and a mother of two munchkins!

I always feel bad whenever I hear somebody say they can't get rid of the tummy, because I know if you work hard you can achieve it! Why let falsities discourage you with your weight loss! If you want to look spectacular, you will :D

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I adore Ashley Horner :heart:
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    =D Glad to hear! I just found that through my phone app, so I thought I'd share! She is Hot!
  • tjradd73
    tjradd73 Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    there are many variables in this...how big you were before you had your kiddo, how old you were when you had your kiddo, how long you were over weight, where you carried your excess weight, and how overweight you are!!! I work out very hard (including my abs), and pretty much every day...and will NEVER have a nice belly without surgery!!! now don't get me wrong...I have a super sweet 6pack under all of my skin...but having a baby at a very young age, and then being 100lbs overweight for years...and now having lost that 100lbs....not gonna happen in my scenario :)
  • devilsangel2
    devilsangel2 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    ^^^^ This

Having been very overweight from a very young age and with a family history of very poor skin elasticity (my son who has never been overweight has stretch marks) I am NEVER going to have a lovely flat stomach. I will keep trying and I can dream but I am under no illusions that it is going to happen.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of mothers on my friends list with flat stomachs, but yeah, like the previous poster says, a lot of time it IS about genetics. There is often extra skin that can't be removed and/or stretch marks. I consider myself VERY lucky to have gone through 3 pregnancies and not get any stretch marks (and have 3 wonderful healthy children but that wasn't the point of this post).
  • melrose09
    Options
    I'm one of the lucky ones. My belly got HUGE with Sullivan, and other than some slightly stretched out skin, you would never be able to tell. My mom, however, has stretch marks galore, mostly below her belly button and just above her hips. She has "thin" skin. I think I got my elastic skin from my dad's side. Thank you, Grams and God, for my stretchy skin. :) I do have a weird gap in my muscles still, but it's definitely closed a little since I had my son 13 months ago. I think it's as good as it will get, though
  • fay4721
    fay4721 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    So true !! There is also a site could yummymummys.com i think and she is amazing - a little flat tummy comunity -- keep up the good work i love seeing your comments you make me chuckle :) xx
  • evesacks
    evesacks Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have a flat stomach after 3 kids, and was 35 at 3rd pregnancy.

HOWEVER, I didn't have a flat tummy until I got my body fat down to 18% (BMI 20) and did loads of core work and lots of cardio too.

Yes the skin is a little bit crinkly and I have stretch marks but I do have a flat tummy with good muscle definition.

Really annoys me when people say well that can't happen for me when they still have a BMI of 23 and body fat of 26%.

IMO v hard to get rid of excess skin if you are carrying any excess fat.
  • Windchanger
    Options
    I'm having major issues with excess skin. I've managed my BMI to below 20%, but it's still there... :(
  • theoneandonlybrookie
    Options
    I'm sorry but for those of us who have excess skin (I have the twin skin) and / or who had our an muscles improperly cut during a c-section (diastasis recti), we will never have perfectly flat stomachs without surgery.

My stomach appears flat in clothing. I do an average of 10 workouts per week, a blend of cardio and strength training. Ab Ripper from P90x has shredded my upper abdomen. But even my doctor told me that unless I had surgery to repair my muscle tear, my lower abdomen will always have a bump out. I went to physical therapy for it, and that mitigated the diastasis but didn't completely fix it.

I just want to offer this perspective because I work VERY hard and my BMI is low but I will never have a totally flat tummy again after my twins. I know there are many other Moms out there who have the same medical issue, and I don't want people to beat themselves up over a medical limitation.
  • melrose09
    Options
    I'm sorry but for those of us who have excess skin (I have the twin skin) and / or who had our an muscles improperly cut during a c-section (diastasis recti), we will never have perfectly flat stomachs without surgery.

My stomach appears flat in clothing. I do an average of 10 workouts per week, a blend of cardio and strength training. Ab Ripper from P90x has shredded my upper abdomen. But even my doctor told me that unless I had surgery to repair my muscle tear, my lower abdomen will always have a bump out. I went to physical therapy for it, and that mitigated the diastasis but didn't completely fix it.

I just want to offer this perspective because I work VERY hard and my BMI is low but I will never have a totally flat tummy again after my twins. I know there are many other Moms out there who have the same medical issue, and I don't want people to beat themselves up over a medical limitation.

You should be proud of your "twin" skin and of the fact that you have a flat tummy even if it doesn't seem like it when you are naked. I saw a photo floating around facebook of a trim and fit woman with some pretty serious stretch marks and the caption read something to the effect of "I'm a Tigress and I earned my stripes"
  • carrotstick2012
    Options
    Two children ... I had a flat tummy after two children as well. After a few more it's never going to be flat (though does look that way under clothes when I'm fit). I'm ok with it. No amount of fat loss is going to get rid of a bit of skin stretching and I won't have surgery for that. It can look flat when I'm wearing clothes so that's good enough for me.
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I am proof, too. :)
  • TamImbrogno
    TamImbrogno Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have had 3 children and been pregnant 5times. I have also had multiple surgeries etc. Even when I was extremely thin (108lbs) a couple years ago I did not have a flat tummy. Not everyone can. But then again thats what makes the world beautiful! I honestly dont have a desire to have a FLAT stomach! I am proud of myself the way I am and its achievement enough for me to thin down and get healthier! My kids gave me the MOMMY tummy and ill proudly carry it around :) haha
  • tjradd73
    Options

HOWEVER, I didn't have a flat tummy until I got my body fat down to 18% (BMI 20) and did loads of core work and lots of cardio too.

Yes the skin is a little bit crinkly and I have stretch marks but I do have a flat tummy with good muscle definition.

Really annoys me when people say well that can't happen for me when they still have a BMI of 23 and body fat of 26%.

I had my son at 17....I had been overweight for my whole life....I have now lost 107lbs, and am 5'3", 120lbs, BMI of 21, and body fat% at 20.3%...not bad IMO! PLUS I do core work on top of my other work at least 3-4 times/week...and I promise you, I will NEVER have a toned "looking" midsection without surgery!!!! just sayin....
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options

I had my son at 17....I had been overweight for my whole life....I have now lost 107lbs, and am 5'3", 120lbs, BMI of 21, and body fat% at 20.3%...not bad IMO! PLUS I do core work on top of my other work at least 3-4 times/week...and I promise you, I will NEVER have a toned "looking" midsection without surgery!!!! just sayin....

I do think genetics play a part. I just wanted to tell you (tjradd73) CONGRATS on that impressive weight loss and all the wonderful healthy changes you must have made in your life to get to this point! Very inspiring.
  • tjradd73
    Options
    I do think genetics play a part. I just wanted to tell you (tjradd73) CONGRATS on that impressive weight loss and all the wonderful healthy changes you must have made in your life to get to this point! Very inspiring.

thanks!!! it has def taken a lot of time and hard work...but it is all worth it in the end :)
  • theoneandonlybrookie
    Options

You should be proud of your "twin" skin and of the fact that you have a flat tummy even if it doesn't seem like it when you are naked. I saw a photo floating around facebook of a trim and fit woman with some pretty serious stretch marks and the caption read something to the effect of "I'm a Tigress and I earned my stripes"

Thanks! I'm pretty ok with it. I definitely still rock a bikini in summer - just a slightly more conservative one now. :tongue:

I also saw the FB post and thought it was great.