Why?

Options
HWT2003
HWT2003 Posts: 45 Member
Why do we want to be skinny? I hate being on a diet. Super bowl party today (nacho, meat balls, wings, and etc.), and i cannot eat the way i want to...SMH

Replies

• ronniesgirl1982
    Options
    I don't want to be skinny! I am doing this because we cannot have children naturally and to get help with IVF I have to have a BMI of 30 or less it's now 32.4 down from 35 and you know what I am so glad that they've told me I have to do this or I never would have and I feel better than I have done in years.

Go to the superbowl party and have all the chicken wings etc that you desire and then get up tomorrow and start this all over again! There is no point in making yourself miserable!!
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    so don't be on a diet. eat the food but in smaller amounts, then log it & do some extra exercise over the next week.
  • shine_
    shine_ Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I don't want to be skinny! I am doing this because we cannot have children naturally and to get help with IVF I have to have a BMI of 30 or less it's now 32.4 down from 35 and you know what I am so glad that they've told me I have to do this or I never would have and I feel better than I have done in years.

Go to the superbowl party and have all the chicken wings etc that you desire and then get up tomorrow and start this all over again! There is no point in making yourself miserable!!

Ohh fingers crossed! I hope it works! Good luck and great job so far! <3
  • 226Muriel
    226Muriel Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    LOG AHEAD!
    GET A DESSERT SIZE DISH!

We all want to be healthy, fit, handsome/gorgeous but we struggle daily on whether we want to do the WORK....It's called ABSTINENCE.

ODAT
  • nataliarunes
    Options
    Some of us are on here because we want to be skinny. I think a lot of us though are on here because we want our lives back, and our futures back. That's my case, after a year of depression after my mom died, culminating in me at 330lbs when I was checked into the hospital on my birthday last year, I struggled for a while longer until it finally sunk in when a fellow really close overweight friend of mine said "We need to change or we are going to die." That was June 18th of last year. I've lost 92lbs since then, unfortunately my friend is still battling an addiction to food but hey at least I got the message even if he didn't.

As far as Superbowl Sunday goes, eat what you want just don't pig out. People have a tendancy to go to excess at these things. Use MFP on your mobile if you can while you are there to help you keep mindful of portion sizes and eat accordingly to that. If you feel like you eat too much, try to get home with enough time, maybe you can do some sort of small work out using workout tapes like Zumba, Taebo, or even just dance to music yourself for about an hour as long as it's got some kick that should help you burn off a little of the excess, conversely maybe fit in a workout before you leave for the party. That would be optimal because then the good nutrients of the food are going to go toward rebuild muscles and such.

Either way good luck!
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Why do we want to be skinny? I hate being on a diet. Super bowl party today (nacho, meat balls, wings, and etc.), and i cannot eat the way i want to...SMH

Surely the question is why does the thought of all that food (and you go into describing it all) make you so happy? What emotional bound have you made with food as your comfort?

Does the temporary taste of junk food taste as good as being slim would feel? I don't think personally it would and the longevity being slimmer offers means you get more time with the ones with you love on this short mortal coil.

Is it worth losing that over some measly slimy, grease filled junk food? Really?
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Do you want to be skinny or healthy? They aren't necessarily the same thing.

You know you're going to want to eat more today, so start exercising. MFP adds those calories to your goal. You can even look up most of the foods you're going to want and know how much work it will take to earn them. MFP also shows you your weekly tally, so you can keep working throughout the week to make up for any overage you may have today.
  • Windchanger
    Options
    Not necessarily skinny, but I try to be healthy.
  • BlaireV
    BlaireV Posts: 137
    Options
    so don't be on a diet. eat the food but in smaller amounts, then log it & do some extra exercise over the next week.

I agree. This is why I plan my "spike" days for whenever I have something on (an event, party etc.). That way I can eat what I like (in moderation of course) and not feel bad about it. You shouldn't feel guilty about eating those foods as long as you don't eat them all the time. Being healthy, or "skinny" as you put it, doesn't have to be an all-or-nothing thing. You need to change your lifestyle to something more sustainable. Good luck x
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    whats a diet? i'm having enchiladas and beer tonight while i watch the super bowl!!!

and a friend of mine posted up around the holidays something that kinda made a lot of sense to me. "too many people are too worried how they should eat between christmas and new years, when they should be concerned with how they eat between new years and christmas."

in other words, don't worry about one day.
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I want to be skinny, so I can buy all the clothes I want & not be the fat friend.
    I'm not even dieting really, still eat what I want & I'm halfway to my goal.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others who have said EAT.
    If I want something that badly, I take a bit and eat it and log it. I had a chicken kebab two nights ago because everyone else in the house was having takeout. I ate it, enjoyed it, logged the calories and went to the gym the next day.
    Remember, as long as your calories average out for THE WEEK, you're fine.

Just try not to eat too much. If you have wings and pizza and french fries etc there, treat it like a tiny buffet... Take a dessert size plate (side plate?) put a little bit of everything on it, and eat it SLOWLY.

Your cravings will be satisfied, you will feel happier, and any guilt you feel can be worked off once you've logged it and seen the "damage".
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    whats a diet? i'm having enchiladas and beer tonight while i watch the super bowl!!!

and a friend of mine posted up around the holidays something that kinda made a lot of sense to me. "too many people are too worried how they should eat between christmas and new years, when they should be concerned with how they eat between new years and christmas."

This. Except for the superbowl part =)

But the point is don't overdo it because you are going to fail.
  • angevee
    angevee Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Surely the whole point is to change the way you eat i.e not rubbish all of the time, not a restrictive diet. As a lot of us know from past experience a restrictive diet usually results in a fail. A night where you have a few bits of party type food is not going to kill you. And you might well find, as I have been, that this kind of food is not the kind that your body craves anymore.
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Everyone on my friends list wants to be fit and healthy. That means different things. Some are going balls to the walls to have a great tri time. Others are hawt slim girls trying to lift more today than they did before. Another is looking at body fat percent, but I bet he does a triathlon this year too. Another is this brilliant scientist in training at a top notch university and she doesn't want to lose strength and limit her pole dancing ability. There seem to be several friends who are very excited about the game, the food they're cooking and time with family. They've already logged their runs or extra weight lifting or whatever.

When your goal is something other than shrink my body so it takes up less space, you get to enjoy the process and the rest of life. Those long runs this morning will need the refuel this evening. Those petite muscled women have to eat more as the muscles demand fuel. Its just awesome that today the refueling is amomg family and friends while watching a game.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I don't really know. I guess I want to be noticed for the right reasons rather than the wrong ones.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    There's no need to eliminate those party foods completely from your life. Personally, I'm not a big fan of wings (I don't enjoy the process of chewing on bones), but I love buffalo sauce. And it's only like 5 calories a serving. I cook up some chicken breast chunks with buffalo sauce and dip it in lowfat ranch dressing. All the flavor of wings. Have some celery sticks to add more volume to your food.

Tortilla chips are about 140 calories per one ounce serving. That's not so bad. An entire CUP of salsa is about 70 calories. Break your chips up into smaller pieces (so you're not double dipping!) and scoop up loads of salsa with each one. And add lots of fresh veggies to your plate. If you want to avoid the chips, spoon a little salsa on a cucumber slice.

A typical meatball is around 60 calories... again, not bad!

Don't beat yourself up over it. Break it down with logic. You can eat the foods you enjoy.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I don't know about anyone else, but I'm not on a diet...
  • t2811
    t2811 Posts: 56
    Options
    That is a fantastic response.. well done you! x
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    Options

Amen! One day does not make or break you. This is a lifestyle is it not? and maybe I am crazy but I am sure life has room now and again for dessert or chicken wings, pasta or ...........The list goes on. Point being that if you spend 24/7 worrying over every little crumb you are setting yourself up for failure. The stress of it will become to much and you will eventually give in but with less restrain then you might if you have a planned meal outside of your calorie goals. You are human and you are allowed to be less than perfect but you are also capable of doing damage control if less than perfect means you over did it WAY to much.
    Get your hump moving burn off the added calories or even better earn the calories before you even eat them try to pre log them and prepare ahead of time!

Best of luck, Enjoy your Superbowl Sunday! :)