A Good Scale?

Options
Okay, so I bought a Weight Watchers scale about two years ago and it's bunk. It's always off from the scale at the gym, which is right in line with the scale at my nutritionist's office. So I want to buy a new home scale, but I want to know if there are any recommended brands out there?

Replies

• Symphony6
    Symphony6 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I just bought a Taylor body analyzer scale, which was an upgrade from my old Weight Watchers scale(didn't have an analyzer). I love it and it is right on with my old scale which was right on with the gym scale. I think Taylor is made by Homedics.

I gave my daughters the old scale, since it still works perfectly :)
  • ttck4eva
    Options
    Lol I was about to post same question since Wednesday my scales said I weigh 141 today (on bathroom floor) they say 133 and on carpet 126 so absolutely no idea what I weigh! Just checked homedics on amazon and have a bad review - infancy cant find any that offer consistency of reviews on amazon! Any recommendations?
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    well, on carpet it's gonna throw it all off with any scale.
  • 1JenMilam
    1JenMilam Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    bump
  • shellie1206
    shellie1206 Posts: 80 Member
    Options

LOL soo very true
  • akjmart2002
    akjmart2002 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I have a Withings wireless body composition scale. I love not having to write down anything... the measurements just show up on my phone and dashboard.

http://www.withings.com/en/bodyscale
  • ttck4eva
    Options
    Haha I know carpet will throw it off but I have no way lost 8lb in 4 days (both weigh ins from bathroom floor). I would love to believe it but seriously!! The withings look fantastic! Unfortunately way over my price limit! Thanks for recommendation though x
  • ttck4eva
    Options
    Bump
  • AllergicToExercise
    AllergicToExercise Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I made the mistake of buying a WW set of scales a few years back and it weighed me around 50lbs less than I am! And then I could get back on and it was 30lb less etc - useless. Needless to say, it went back to the shop!

I now use Tanita Body Fat scales and find them to be accurate although not the cheapest out there.
  • taliesyn_
    taliesyn_ Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Some people also forget that they weigh naked at home and clothed when out - simple stuff and I'm not belittling anyone but our obsession with that number makes our brain do funny things sometimes!

EDIT: missed the "t" off of "they"!
  • PeggysDad
    Options
    Love my Withings scale, but they are quite expensive I suppose.
  • taliesyn_
    taliesyn_ Posts: 219 Member
    Options

LOL soo very true

My scale (UK, Salter, now owned by Homedics) came with some extra feet to improve accuracy on carpet - not that I use them as I weigh on a tiled floor (and yes, I am anal enough to line up on the same corner of the same tile every time I weigh!).
  • gtfcnat
    gtfcnat Posts: 199
    Options
    Would this be any good for you?

http://www.amazon.com/Salter-9108-Water-Scale-Function/dp/B000Q38MFG/ref=sr_1_2?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1328437430&sr=1-2

I'm in the UK and looking to get the Salter 9147 but I couldn't see that on the US Amazon, seems to be similar though.
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I just got some Homedics ones (as thats what I always see in the doctors) x
  • huntindawg1962
    huntindawg1962 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    The dreaded scale issue! I have bought various ones over the years. I hate a scale that you get on four times and nothing seems to match up by a couple pounds. The WW scales were terrible varying 2-3 lbs on three consecutive step-ons. I find that unacceptable to vary that much. I know position on the scale can do a lot too. I used to do what I called the Weight Watcher's Lean when I was a member - if you leaned into the pole on the scale it seemed to make you look like you dropped a couple extra lbs (only good for one visit as you have to do it every time or it looks like a gain the next visit).

What I bought and actually like is the WIthings scale. As the other poster mentioned it is nice not recording as it does that for you. I also got the blood pressure cuff and it logs that too so I can see the relationship between scale weight and BP.

I am also impressed as it has a wider base than the WW scale and positioning seems to affect it less. I also see that a couple consecutive steps reads about the same instead of the few lb fluctuations.

Any electric scale you must keep up on battery changes as the variance in voltage as the batteries wear down seem to also affect the accuracy
  • ttck4eva
    Options
    Goodness it seems a minefield! I will have a look at all the ones recommended thank you
  • reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I have a ww scale. Yesterday my wt was 157.3. Last night I bumped into it by accident and then put it back where it was. This morning it said I weighed 153.2 lbs, went back a few minutes later and it said 155 lbs so I assume by tomorrow it will be back to 157. LOL. I do weigh on a thin carpet because there is no room in my bathroom for the scale but I believe that even if there is a discrepancy due to the carpet as long as you weigh in the same place every day it will be a consistent discrepancy. I am sure there is a flaw in that logic but.... I used to have a Taylor scale but had problems with that also so that is why I switched to the WW scale. Can't find another place to put the scale that does not have carpet except in the basement. Refuse to do that.
  • gurlnlifemagazine
    Options
    Thanks everyone who posted :). The Withing scales seems to be exactly what I'm looking, so I think I'll go with that. I don't mind paying extra for something that's worth it. Thanks!