Do you always eat the calories you earn??

Options

Replies

• engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    nope. i drink them!

2012-01-09_11-44-53_213.jpg
  • thirtyandthriving
    thirtyandthriving Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I do not. Its worked for me so far.
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I usually eat most but not all of them.
  • thirtyandthriving
    thirtyandthriving Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    My Endo has given me a guideline to follow.

You may receive a flood of responses, yea or nay. Then you will also receive responses from die-hards that say YOU HAVE TO EAT THEM BACK! Then there are those who just dont...

What is the guideline that your Endo has given you to follow? That sounds like a reputable source.
  • Sophie983
    Sophie983 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Each and every single last one of them... It helped me lose the 40 pounds I gained after I had my babies and now I've maintained that weight for almost a year... thank god it works for me... I can't imagine not eating the 3000-4000 calories I burn a week!!! I guess it's different for everyone...

That's a lie, isn't it?
    Your diary is public and you don't eat your calories back.
    On Saturday you had only 2 meals and 1,201 calories left! on friday 626 cal, on Wednesday 1,574 cal and so on...
  • savagep1
    Options
    I am currently taking a Weight Loss class at LifeTime Fitness. The trainers and registered dietician that teach the class have instructed us to only add HALF of the calories we burn during workouts to our total calories allowed for consumption that day. So, if I burn 450 calories on the treadmill, I only enter 225 calories into my exercise log. [Otherwise, I would always be WAY under my calorie goal. ;-) ] So far, it seems to be working!
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Just burnt 1917 calories at the gym/pool. No way am I going to eat those babies back.
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    nope. i drink them!

2012-01-09_11-44-53_213.jpg

LOVE THIS ! Great pic ! :drinker:
  • smiles672
    smiles672 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    i really try not to, but some days i give in and eat a little extra since i earned it
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Each and every single last one of them... It helped me lose the 40 pounds I gained after I had my babies and now I've maintained that weight for almost a year... thank god it works for me... I can't imagine not eating the 3000-4000 calories I burn a week!!! I guess it's different for everyone...

That's a lie, isn't it?
    On Saturday you had only 2 meals and 1,201 calories left! on friday 626 cal, on Wednesday 1,574 cal and so on...

It's actually not a lie--but thanks!! I do a program called Eat Stop Eat, I only started it 6 days ago (to lose some fat, not weight) it's a fasting program throughout the week--you fast for a certain amount of time, and then you eat at maintenance for the other days--I eat at maintenance and eat my exercise calories on those days. So some days I will be eating around 3000 calories, others a minimum of 700... it's just another way to zig zag calories...

Wow, thanks for accusing me of lying... have a look at my diaries for last 200 hundred days I've been on here...
  • carrieann1967
    carrieann1967 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Never ever ever. They are not bonus calories. If you eat the calories you just burnt of what was the point of exercising? I am very strict- zero junk, never go over calories limit and exercise is a daily bonus not to be used.
    MFP already calculate the number of calories you should have a day to loose weight without exercising. You must eat at least some of the exercise calories you have used otherwise you will starve your body.
  • ybarbara
    Options
    With me it depends on how hungry I am. Since I'm only doing 30 minutes of exercise at this point (I am very unfit) I look at those calories as my safety net. If I am really hungry or craving something and I have the calories I eat them. Other days I have to look to use up my base calories. I try to focus on using my calories in a healthy way and not end up in the red in any one area (ie: protein, fat, etc) too often. Mostly I don't want to be feeling hungry or craving for very long. That sets me up to binge.
  • Lokah13
    Options
    I don't input my food intake or exercise until that evening. I write down all my foods so I can keep better track. After I eat dinner after my evening workout and than get on the computer so I never intake those "earned calories." I find that to for me to lose weight, I have to burn more calories than what I intake; which is a little bit harder because I am currently deployed and my options for eating are not all that big. But I try to eat as healthy as possbile. There are however those days when I slip so I workout even harder the next day to even out.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Always ate most of them back.

It was the missing link for me... the difference between failure and success. I always wondered why "dieting" never worked for me and blamed myself... I told myself my metabolism was bad or that I didn't have enough discipline or willpower or that my body was just happy where it was.

Boy was I wrong! My only problem was that I wasn't eating enough when trying to lose weight. My metabolism is fantastic now, and I have plenty of discipline and willpower, and my body is way, way, way happier where it is now.
  • 2hungariangirls
    Options

That's a lie, isn't it?

WOW! You must not have much to do on a Sunday to start accusing people of lying....This is why all my stuff is private because of snoopers like you.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

That's a lie, isn't it?

It's actually not a lie--but thanks!! I do a program called Eat Stop Eat, I only started it 6 days ago (to lose some fat, not weight) it's a fasting program throughout the week--you fast for a certain amount of time, and then you eat at maintenance for the other days--I eat at maintenance and eat my exercise calories on those days. So some days I will be eating around 3000 calories, others a minimum of 700... it's just another way to zig zag calories...

Wow, thanks for accusing me of lying... have a look at my diaries for last 200 hundred days I've been on here...

Perfect example of why my diary is just that my diary..... Even though you need no back up, being friends on here I know your spot on with your exercise and lifestyle (aka diet, i still dislike that word lol) Keep up the great job, nothing wrong with zig zagging those calories.... To the OP, your going to get all kinds of responses on the subject and it will be up to you to decide what you think is right. I am in the camp of eating them back and do and have lost some weight doing it.... I eat 3000-3500 calories a day and am still losing 1 to 2 lbs. a week 32 months into my journey. I workout hard everyday and fuel my body accordingly and my body responds in kind..... Good luck to you on your journey......
  • rpantusa
    rpantusa Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Never ever ever. They are not bonus calories. If you eat the calories you just burnt of what was the point of exercising? I am very strict- zero junk, never go over calories limit and exercise is a daily bonus not to be used.

^----not true. they are bonus calories. MFP gives you a certian # of calories to eat per day to lose weight with no excerize, but if you do work out, your body will need more caloreis. you dont have to eat them if you don't want, but if you are hungry you can. I sometimes do and sometimes don't. I just listen to what my body is telling me. If I am hungry I will eat some. Do what works for you, this is working for me, I am loosing plenty of weight each week and I do eat some back. Good Luck on your journey! :wink:
  • freedomlady
    freedomlady Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Almost NEVER, why would I do that???:noway: I'm trying to loose weight and the purpose of exercise is to loose weight. Not earn food. Really I think it is a silly thing to do.
  • newCourtney
    newCourtney Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I never eat them back. This is a BIG controversy on MFP. Do what works for you. If you are hungry, eat some of them. If you are eating them back and stop losing weight, stop eating them. What works for some people doesn't work for others.
  • fabulousfebe
    Options
    This is a frequent question on MFP...I personally don't because in my mind it defeats the purpose of burning calories. :smile: