The Aching....oh the aching!!!

Options
Anyone have any tips on post workout aching?

Stupidly signed up for the wrong class yesterday and instead of going to a beginners group I found myself in the hardcore, 'professional' version of body combat. Refused to look stupid so I did it anyway.... and now I am PAYING for it!!!

My friend is a nurse and told me that a hot bath is not the way forward as once your muscles relax in the heat that they will just seize up twice as bad so any other tips?

...on the plus side... the muscles under my beloved back fat are killing me so at least I know the class will help me get rid of that area! Hurrah!

Replies

• amdahwd
    amdahwd Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I do not know about after the wokout, except that my cousin who is in an Extreme Makeover program at her gym is told to take ibuprofen after each workout and to take an Epsom Salts hot bath. I did read yesterday that eating an orange before a workout will help you experience less muscle soreness and help you to stay hydrated. Don't know if it will work or not, but am going to try it. Good luck! Congratulations on actually making it through the "hardcore" class!
  • anabell31
    Options
    I thought heat did help... My school has a sauna and a steam room so I soak in there after workouts. Stretching helps too
  • gordon53
    Options
    I thought heat did help... My school has a sauna and a steam room so I soak in there after workouts. Stretching helps too

personal trainer at my gym, always encourages me to stretch off in the steam room. Warm muscles are less likely to sustain damage.
  • Elundari
    Options
    Ibuprofen and lots of stretches always do it for me :) Hope you feel better soon!
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Alleve and stretching.
  • tmontgomery69
    Options
    Hot epsom salt bath, drink lots of water, fish oil capsules, and stretching or yoga. Whatever you do don't just sit around, the more that you move the better you will feel & the quicker you'll recover.
  • JVanDam77
    Options
    I just injured my back and have been using Excedrin Tension headache ... (It works AWESOME for muscle aches) ... It is the one thing that has kept me going. Best of luck.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I don't believe spot reducing your back fat is possible.
    I soaked my over used feet in hot water one time. BIG MISTAKE, BIG BIG MISTAKE!
    Advil and time!
  • speedmuffin
    Options
    Instead of a hot bath, try an ice bath. Ice baths are supposed to cause more blood flow to the areas which you are icing, and will help you recover more quickly. Additionally, stretch a lot, everywhere, even though you're sore. Any kind of Tylenol or Advil won't hurt either. Also, for myself, I have found that sleeping a little bit extra (for example, napping, going to bed earlier, or sleeping in later) helps, so it probably wouldn't hurt to try.
  • Hoaimy
    Hoaimy Posts: 16
    Options
    I know you wont want to do anything, but go for an easy walk for at least 20 minutes. Sore muscles need movement. Aleve is good, stretching, jacuzzi, sauna. Way to stay and tough it out though. I would have left cuz I'm a wimp.
  • DaniellePF
    DaniellePF Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I am working on becoming a Body Combat instructor, so I feel your pain. Literally! HOWEVER, I am seeing advice for heat heat heat. NO! I went to physical therapy for the toll it took on my back as well as my primary care physician. They BOTH said to put COLD on it. There was a previous poster who mentioned the heat relaxing the muscle and it tensing up twice as bad. They are correct. Ibuprofen, or other anti-inflammatory pain relievers do wonders, as well as cold. The heat will make it feel better at first, but it is not good for your problem.

I hope you feel better soon! :flowerforyou:
  • blazeybug87
    blazeybug87 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I don't believe spot reducing your back fat is possible.
    I soaked my over used feet in hot water one time. BIG MISTAKE, BIG BIG MISTAKE!
    Advil and time!

Sorry - badly worded on my part

I don't expect spot reduction but it's nice to know those muscles have been used and will start to tone as I never thought, even with weight loss that I would be 'back fat free' haha
  • blazeybug87
    blazeybug87 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I am working on becoming a Body Combat instructor, so I feel your pain. Literally! HOWEVER, I am seeing advice for heat heat heat. NO! I went to physical therapy for the toll it took on my back as well as my primary care physician. They BOTH said to put COLD on it. There was a previous poster who mentioned the heat relaxing the muscle and it tensing up twice as bad. They are correct. Ibuprofen, or other anti-inflammatory pain relievers do wonders, as well as cold. The heat will make it feel better at first, but it is not good for your problem.

Thanks for the advice.

Hat off to you at becoming an instructor for it. Loved it but omg, it's EVVVIIIIL!!!
  • rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    keep hydrated, eat bananas<- they contain a lot of potassium, take vitamin C, lots of stretching in or after the shower <- warm muscles stretch easier than cold ones, and rest.
  • DaniellePF
    DaniellePF Posts: 308 Member
    Options

Thanks for the advice.

Hat off to you at becoming an instructor for it. Loved it but omg, it's EVVVIIIIL!!!

LOL--thanks...and Hats off to you for sticking with it!!!! That is actually how I discovered Body Combat. I walked in to what I thought was just a cardio something, and boy was I in for it! But....I stuck with it, dropped a bunch of weight and found my calling in life :-) Stick with it--its "evil" because it burns more calories than most, if not all group exercise classes. Try it again once you feel better! :-)
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Instead of a hot bath, try an ice bath. Ice baths are supposed to cause more blood flow to the areas which you are icing, and will help you recover more quickly. Additionally, stretch a lot, everywhere, even though you're sore. Any kind of Tylenol or Advil won't hurt either. Also, for myself, I have found that sleeping a little bit extra (for example, napping, going to bed earlier, or sleeping in later) helps, so it probably wouldn't hurt to try.

Ice baths do not promote blood flow! They slow it down.

Warm baths do promote blood flow and will help the tissue to start repairing. Also take an anti-inflammatory and drink lots of water.

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/rehab/a/heatorcold.htm
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Try using a rolling pin over your sore muscles. There are commercial sticks to use for this purpose, but if you don't have one specifically for this, a rolling pin will help.
  • fozzie500
    fozzie500 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    i know it doesn't help now, but if you have 500 ml of chocolate milk and a banana within 40 mins of finishing a hard session it will help reduce the aching feeling.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Stretch Foam Roll, and workout again. I used to think that resting when sore was a better way to go, but I've found, through personal experience, that I actually feel better if I do something. I work different areas, but I keep moving, and it helps.
  • reneecooperman
    reneecooperman Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'd like to add my support for the advice that suggests ice rather than heat. I think the idea is to decrease swelling. And rolling is an awesome idea, although it also hurts while you do it. If you like a little heat for the comfort, just do it for a little while and put the ice back on. Think of those softball pitchers who wear ice packs after games. In my experience, it's pretty standard sports recovery advice. I also agree with the keep moving suggestion. Some light movement is seems to speed up recovery for me too. Hey, you got through it! Good job!