How much exercise should i be doing????

Options
Hi

I know as much exercise as possible is good, but i have a small son, work full time and my partner works long hours. So i find it hard to get the time or motivate myself to work out. I have a x trainer and try to use that were possible, but wondering what minimal daily goal i should set myself to help achieve weight loss?????

Any advice is appreciated

Thanks x

Replies

• whatshewants
    whatshewants Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how to directly answer this question because there's different information out there and different things work for different people. It's different for everyone. In my case, I'm doing about 40 minutes, 3-4 times a week, with the goal of making that at least 5 times a week and increasing my time. I started by trying to do 20 minutes, 2-3 times a week. With dietary changes and using this app to keep track of stuff, I'm seeing small amounts of weight loss. I think the conventional wisdom out there says that I should be doing more, but if you change your diet too with the goal of losing weight through the app, that will help too and you may not have to exercise as much. I think the key is basically seeing results with what you're doing.

The key is to make sure that you're doing something consistently. Some people, due to their schedules, split the workout time - so you could do something like 15 minutes in the morning and 20 minutes in the evening. Maybe that's something you could consider.

For me, fitting it in with the same priority as brushing my teeth or something was key for making 3x a week possible, even with my schedule. It was about changing the priority that exercise held in my head. At first, it was really tough because I saw going to the gym as another task on a long list. After that, I started seeing other motivators - like remembering how good if feels after you're finished working out, fitting a little better into my clothes, comments from my fiancé, etc. It made me want to go more and it became something that I enjoy.

Good luck!
  • srosser
    Options
    Thanks for your reply, i think that's the key dividing it up even if i do 15mins in a morning and 15 at night, i suppose any chance i get i should jump on the x trainer. And i think the better i feel and hopefully some weight loss will encourage me. Thanks again
  • Jesung
    Jesung Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    resistance training with progressively heavier weights 3 times a week 1 hour a day
    If you want to lose weight and look good but have very little time, weight training is the best way to do it.

Look into Starting Strength or New Rules of Lifting for Women (I don't like it but a lot of people on MFP seem to)