Gluten Free on the Go

Options
I'm looking for some healthy, whole food, on the go gluten free meal ideas that I can eat in my car and will keep me full for at least 3-4 hours until I can get to my next meal. What do you eat on the go if you are gluten free?

I would like to add that I do not like gluten free breads.

Replies

• mng9
    mng9 Posts: 10
    Options
    Boiled eggs, nuts, nut butters in the single serve packs, bananas, wraps, smoothie/shake, dried fruit...these are some things I've done.
    Have you tried Namaste or Arrowhead Mills GF Pancake Mixes? Those could be used as bread.

I hear you about the GF bread, at least the store bought rice bread, but I've been making my own gluten and yeast free bread for a while . Some of the most delicious stuff I've ever eaten. I never knew there were so many other grains/flours.
  • hcemer
    Options
    I love the Tinkyada pasta with some tomato sauce. I think it tastes better than regular pasta. http://tinkyada.com/ I do eat this in my car for lunch.
    I also make quesadillas with the smaller corn tortillas. They are definitely better than most of the gluten free breads.
    Lentils and rice is also a good option.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    dry gluten free cereal, rice protein shakes, greek yogurt, fruit/veggies. These are more like snack ideas, I have recipies as well, but not so much for on the go.
  • dhencel
    dhencel Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Kraft has new Milk and Granola bars.. They have calcium of 8 oz glass of milk, and come in different flavors. But they contain oats..Very good but have to be kept in fridge.. You could keep in cooler if travelling.... Only 140 calories.. Check them out in the milk section...I love the peanut butter....
  • flyawaybyebye
    Options
    Lara bars and Open Nature Trail Mix bars are GF and yummy! Also, snack packs of trail mix or even just raw nuts. Dried or fresh fruit. Deli slices (ham, turkey, whatever you like best) rolled up (with cheese, even, if you can have dairy...). Mini babybel cheese (again, if you can have dairy). Jimmy Johns unwiches are one of my favorites for a fast, on-the-go lunch. If you don't have a Jimmy Johns near you, just take the outer leaves of iceberg lettuce and wrap them around some deli meat, some veggies and whatever sauce you like (guacamole, mayo if you can eat that, etc.) and cheese if you like, and roll it up like a burrito. Soup in a thermos is great, too. There are lots of GF soups out there. Lentil or split pea would have lots of nutrition per bite. Jamba Juice is another fast-food type option. Also, if you have a Whole Foods nearby, their salad and hot food bars are labeled with what is and isn't GF - it's a great spot for a quick lunch!
    HTH!
  • fitrene
    fitrene Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Those are all great ideas! I can have dairy so the lunch meat with cheese rolled up or with a lettuce leaf sounds perfect. That' so basic. I love to cook, so you would think I could have thought about some of these! I'm so glad I asked!

I'm not a soup person, but I'm learning to like them.

Thanks again!

Rene'