An easier way to setup goal calories - eating for who you wi

Options

Replies

• futiledevices
    futiledevices Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I have tried to eat 1700 calories for about a week now, and the only time I made it there was yesterday. In fact, I even went over a little bit and that's only because I hate something "bad." Every other day, I was still netting around 1200-1300. It's hard to eat so much! I need to stop being fearful of such calorie dense foods, because I'm not losing weight anymore and I need to try SOMETHING.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Sooooo, what should I set MFP to if I want to use your method but add exercise and eat back? At the moment it's on lightly active, lose 1/2lb per week and gives me 1660 cals per day at my current weight.

You can't do this method and eat back exercise calories the MFP method. My method gives automatic calorie cycling or spike days based on idea of spreading the eat back throughout the whole week. Under BMR days are balanced by over BMR days.

If you really want to see those exercise calories and try to eat back most of them around the day you got them (which you said you were good at), then set you goal net calories to your current BMR, probably about 1500, and feed that exercise.

And regarding where do you set MFP activity level and goal loss - it doesn't matter as soon as you enter ANY manual daily goal yourself. Those figures are for if you let MFP totally set it up and follow their suggestions.

Now, you could try to select an activity level and goal loss that has MFP end up close to 1500 for net calories, especially since you want to follow their method of eating back exercise calories, that would work out real well for you.
    Use this site for figuring that out, because in MFP you have to change setting, save out, go back in, ect. Annoying.
    http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
    Then look at the activity level box, that is just what MFP would come up with. So whatever is at 2000, then you select 1 lb week goal loss. That would bring their goal calories down to 1500.
  • denisemichele
    denisemichele Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    bump too
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mbissey
    Options
    bump
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    My maintenance level is 1980 cals, I've set myself up to be sedentary and have set my goal to maintain (even though it's not actually what I want, I just like to see my daily deficit and overall weekly deficit as well because I fluctuate my calories in all the time).

I used a TDEE calculator and calculated my TDEE at my goal weight, factoring in light exercise (1-3 days a week, even though I actually go 6-7 days a week, I *hate* thinking I might overestimate my cals out) - worked out to be 1933. So technically my maintenance level now is only very slightly less than what it would be at my goal weight.
  • jleWings
    jleWings Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • n8na
    n8na Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I was already wondering why I'm loosing weight so quickly.
  • paj315
    paj315 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Just marking my spot!
  • joclougherty
    joclougherty Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    My maintenance level is 1980 cals, I've set myself up to be sedentary and have set my goal to maintain (even though it's not actually what I want, I just like to see my daily deficit and overall weekly deficit as well because I fluctuate my calories in all the time).

I used a TDEE calculator and calculated my TDEE at my goal weight, factoring in light exercise (1-3 days a week, even though I actually go 6-7 days a week, I *hate* thinking I might overestimate my cals out) - worked out to be 1933. So technically my maintenance level now is only very slightly less than what it would be at my goal weight.

Ah, this sounds exactly what I need to do but I'm so scared of putting the wrong daily cals in. How much do you weigh now and how much are you aiming for and what is your height if you don't mind me asking? I did the same as you on the site heybales suggested and came up with

Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1648
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 1888
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2128
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 2368
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 2609

I run 4 times per week about 6 miles each time. Should probably use 2128 but I think I might go wtih 1888 just in case I miss some runs and don't want to overestimate, like you. I keep changing my mind what to do, I feel like I want to add ex calories but then on the days I don't run if I try and stay below 1500 for example, I'm starving. I do tend to zig zag anyway because I eat more at the weekend and drink some wine usually. I think I'm overthinking it and complicating the whole thing in my mind when I should just do this method and see how it goes.
  • heybales
    Options

I'd recommend spot checking what that real calorie burn is on each day.
    If the calorie burn just from exercise knocks you under BMR daily by a decent chunk like 200-400 calories, then you aren't really protecting some available free burn from metabolism.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Bump, I want to read this tonight.
  • Survivor1997
    Survivor1997 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Very interesting. Bump for later.
  • Goalsforsusie
    Goalsforsusie Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • Aeliyah
    Aeliyah Posts: 247
    Options
    Bump... Thank you for posting :flowerforyou:
  • littlemsmuffet
    Options
    Bump! This is awesome!
  • k_braddock
    k_braddock Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Just changed my goals...Thank you for this! I haven't lost any weight in two weeks probably because I haven't been eating enough. This sounds like it'll work.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options

Ah, this sounds exactly what I need to do but I'm so scared of putting the wrong daily cals in. How much do you weigh now and how much are you aiming for and what is your height if you don't mind me asking? I did the same as you on the site heybales suggested and came up with

Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1648
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 1888
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2128
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 2368
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 2609

I run 4 times per week about 6 miles each time. Should probably use 2128 but I think I might go wtih 1888 just in case I miss some runs and don't want to overestimate, like you. I keep changing my mind what to do, I feel like I want to add ex calories but then on the days I don't run if I try and stay below 1500 for example, I'm starving. I do tend to zig zag anyway because I eat more at the weekend and drink some wine usually. I think I'm overthinking it and complicating the whole thing in my mind when I should just do this method and see how it goes.

Current weight is 84kg (187lbs)
    First goal weight is 66kg (145lbs)
    Ideal weight is 60kg (132lbs)
    Height is 163cm
    I exercise 6-7 days, and usually mix up sprints/interval training, weight training, circuit training and power walking on resting days.

Typically about 45 mins-60 mins a day, I usually calculate my calorie burn from these activities to be about 450 calories.
  • heybales
    Options
    I think I'm overthinking it and complicating the whole thing in my mind when I should just do this method and see how it goes.

Unless you are nerdy and just get into this kind of stuff with the numbers and scenarios and options and possibilities, and believe me I am, you should just give it a try.
    You are definitely overthinking something that was intended to have just a bit of homework upfront, and then simplicity thereafter.

Use your normally planned workouts in the schedule. If you have an iffy day that shows up every once in a while, no problem.
    If you drop a run, no problem.
    I recall your calculations showed you'd still be having a deficit of close to 1000 / day just from planned activities, not including normal daily non-exercise activity.

And you can spot check easily what happens in reality. Take that maintenance calorie goal, minus a normal run calorie burn, and you are probably down around BMR. More on some days, less on others. Non-workout days allows a recovery.
  • heybales
    Options
    Just thought I'd provide an update on progress. I have been eating on average just over 2000 calories per day since Wednesday (up from around 1350-1750 per day). I should be eating slightly more according to this method but only by about 100 calories, and 2000 is all I can manage at the moment.

I weighed in this morning to find I have lost a further 1.2lbs! And that was weighing in after breakfast (I have always done this before breakfast in the past). That's a total of 1.6lbs so far, which probably means I should be eating a bit more but also doesn't include my rest day (that's tomorrow) so I think I'm doing ok as far as the calculations go.

Other things I've noticed which may or may not be related (but I suspect they are):

I feel warmer (I have always had bad circulation but am now finding that when others complain about the current cold weather, I realise I actually feel just fine! I went jogging this morning in -4 degrees and didn't bat an eyelid)
    I have more energy
    I have a more positive mood
    I fall asleep much faster and sleep more soundly
    My body feels more 'solid'
    I am starting to regard my body as my ally rather than my enemy

Another reason that feeling warmer could have good side effect. Besides hoping it indicates the metabolism has gone up, since that is just the eat of the body doing it's required work.

This snippet. The increased body temp from working better, may just help it work even better yet!
    http://www.shapefit.com/basal-metabolic-rate.html

Body Temperature/Health. For every increase of 0.5C in internal temperature of the body, the BMR increases by about 7 percent. The chemical reactions in the body actually occur more quickly at higher temperatures. So a patient with a fever of 42C (about 4C above normal) would have an increase of about 50 percent in BMR.

Now see, been sick for 2 weeks, but not with flu, that figures!