Please define heavy weight / low reps

Options
I keep reading "lift heavy" with low reps vs light weights and high reps. Would some of you please define what you consider "heavy" vs "light" and "low" rep vs "high" rep?

I was planning on choosing weight and reps as follows:
Weight: Heaviest weight while maintaining proper form to almost muscle failure. ( I do need to be able to function after workout)
Reps: 8-12 small muscle (such as arms), 10-15 large muscles (such as legs)
Sets: Need advice..... Traditionally 3 sets, but read years ago that 1 set gave 90% of the results as doing 3 sets.

If doing multiple sets, is it better to decrease weight on 2nd, 3rd set, and maintain the number of reps, or to keep the weight the same for all sets, but decrease the number of reps.

I am not looking necessarily to build bulk, much more interested in a compromise between strength and endurance.

I am currently doing Cardio (with interval training) and flexibility, but now need to look at adding strength and balance into the overall fitness routine.

I will be using a combonation of body weight, dumbbells and balance ball as training aids. I will be working out at home without anyone to "spot" so I do need to use some caution.

At the moment I am still considered obese, I need to lose about 50 lbs to get to a healthy body weight. I don't know my real body fat %, but using online calculator it's about 30%. I don't neccesarly beleive this to be real accurate, but at this point it's probably close enough. I don't need to know the exact % to know that I'm fat. The mirror shows that well enough.

Replies

• Jesung
    Jesung Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    heavy: weight that you don't know if you can make all the reps
    light: weight that you can do while watching TV

low rep: 1-5
    high rep: 8-12
    endurance: 12+

The whole point of lifting heavy for low reps (e.g. 3 sets of 5 at maximal effort) is that you get stronger faster than if you were lifting for high reps or lifting light. If you make all the reps of all sets, you know you got stronger so lift heavier next time.

For multiple sets, you can keep the weight same and do 3 sets for 5 or do one maximal effort set for 5 then drop the weight 10% for 5 more. You should keep the rep # the same