shin splints

Options
I started exercising 3 weeks ago. I am doing a walking club 3 days a week and zumba 2 days a week. I am suffering from shin splints that are slowing me down. I thought they would get better over time. Any suggestions on how not to get them?

Replies

• dani_ella
    dani_ella Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am in the same exact boat...I have been doing my work out for 3 weeks and my shins are not happy. I wish I knew what to do.
  • ErikaKBee
    ErikaKBee Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    When I first started working out, I got shin splints from running and zumba.

In the beginning, adding more potassium to my diet helped dramatically. I think bananas are the devil, but I could disguise the taste within a smoothie. I also had to stop running on hard surfaces and start doing trails.

I think long term though, having the appropriate shoes makes a world of difference. I tried to use cross-trainers for everything and that was a TERRIBLE choice for me. I broke down and bought good running shoes and only use the trainers for bootcamp. I have shoes with pivot points for zumba that helps to avoid injury, but the only thing that helped with shin splints in that regard was adding store-bought supports/soles in the dance shoes.
  • clkuchtyn
    clkuchtyn Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    bump..
  • AirCircleI
    AirCircleI Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I used to suffer from shin splints when I ran, making it unbearable for me to run. For me, it was definitely the shows - after I went to a proper running shop where they have you run on the treadmill and find the right shoes for you they went away completely. Even if you aren't running, it might be worth investing in a good pair of running shoes - it turns out that in the shop they found that my feet tilt inwards when I run/walk, and also I needed more arch support.
  • dani_ella
    Options
    sounds good...what shoes have pivots in them? that sounds like it would work for Zumba, HipHop and Cardio Kickboxing...which are all in my weekly workout schedule...I guess I could get walking/running shoes for when I use tredmill...
  • dani_ella
    Options
    how do I find a good store for stuff like that?
  • jmcgreggor
    jmcgreggor Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I suffered horribly from shin splints. I got a pair of Asics that have good arch support. Asics use high quality gel that really adds a lot of cushion. So far, no more shin splints. Big 5 sells a lot of Asics. Of suggest trying them on there but buying from Amazon. A lot cheaper.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I have been suffering terribly too, someone on here gave another poster the advice of rolling a very full bottle of water or a can over the shins if they hurt too much... I went home, took a hot shower, rolled a can of hairspray up and down my shins. IT HURT like an absolute mother, but even the next morning, the pain was gone.
    That was 2 days ago, I've taken a 2 day "rest" from running and now my legs feel good as new again.