I bought a heart rate monitor

Options
Today I decided to buy a heart rate monitor with a chest strap. I got the Polar F4 model and decided to try it out while doing Tae Bo. I was very impressed with the heart rate monitor, but very disappointed in my calories burned. For a couple months I have been doing Tae Bo regularly and have check MANY websites to try to estimate an accurate calorie burn. Most websites told me that 45 minutes would burn 700+ calories, but being the skeptic that I am I would only log it for 500-600 calories. I guess I should have been more skeptical because I only burned 350 calories even though my heart hate was at 65-85% for 30 of the 45 minutes.

Replies

• jcummings69
    jcummings69 Posts: 183
    Options
    Today I decided to buy a heart rate monitor with a chest strap. I got the Polar F4 model and decided to try it out while doing Tae Bo. I was very impressed with the heart rate monitor, but very disappointed in my calories burned. For a couple months I have been doing Tae Bo regularly and have check MANY websites to try to estimate an accurate calorie burn. Most websites told me that 45 minutes would burn 700+ calories, but being the skeptic that I am I would only log it for 500-600 calories. I guess I should have been more skeptical because I only burned 350 calories even though my heart hate was at 65-85% for 30 of the 45 minutes.
  • lizard9800
    lizard9800 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I have found that to be true for most exercises. My elliptical machine usually shows twice the amount of calories actually burned. However, today I found out that vigarous snowboarding does burn as many as the computers say. Too bad the season is almost over :cry:
  • stacy83084
    Options
    hey,

I recently bought a heart rate monitor. I think it is a Polar F2 or F3. It doesnt calcualte calories burned. I definately wish it did. It is still useful becasue it helps me know that I am working hard enough. Does anyone know how to accurately calcualte calorie burn using a heart rate monitor that does not do it for you?