george foreman grills-HELP

Options
jerber160
jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
i don't know anything about them and am wondering what y'all think..right size to buy? price range? what all do they do? is it worth it???
thanks

Replies

• slrrese
    slrrese Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    We LOVE our Cuisinart Griddler!! I use it for grilled sandwiches and grilling meat when it is too cold out to use the BBQ. We even got the waffle plates and got rid of our waffle maker as well so it is an all-in-one device:
    http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-GR-4N-5-in-1-Griddler/dp/B002YD99Y4
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I always use ours for burgers because it cooks fast--cooks both sides at once, and a lot of fat drains off. We have a small one (cooks 2 burgers at a time) and it is hard to clean because the grills don't detach. I think they are between $20-25 but not sure, ours is pretty old.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I picked mine up at a yard sale in perfect condition for $5. We use it for grilled sandwiches - my mom uses hers for bacon, swears it's the best & fastest for that!

As for cleaning, my sis-in-law says when she's done cooking & the grill is still hot, she puts a few ice cubes in there and closes the lid (make sure you have the little catcher thing down to catch the water as it runs out) - then she just wipes it out. I tried it yesterday and it worked great!

Edited to add: This is one of those gifts that people give & get for Christmas all the time, and then never get used, so you can often find new or nearly new ones at thrift stores & yard sales for super cheap! I work at a thrift store and we usually have quite a few on the shelf!
  • gretchenpdx
    Options
    We had GF for a few years but when it got old/worn out we got hte Cusisinart Griddler which I like MOSTLY better.

We got the compact but I'd get the regular size one if it is for more than 2 people at a time.

What is better than GF:
    -removable plates (some GF likely have that too if yes pay the extra $ for this feature: SO worth it)
    -heating elements on BOTH sides of grill (cooks better than when only on one side as this cooks both sides at once)
    -opens flat (great for pancakes, mushrooms or whatever)
    -plates are reversible (one side = grill, one =griddle)
    -tops is heavy (pannini style) makes great hot sandwiches

What I liked better about our old GF:
    -fat drained off better/more due to sloping design, although we cook lean stuff anyway: so not a big deal for us, just thought I'd mention that juices do drain a little less on the Griddler
    -drain collector/area leading up to it is not designed as well and sometimes grease or liquids end up on counter (even when it is NOT at all full)

All in all I'd buy the Griddler again and I'd get the regular sized one instead of the compact (but the compact is not THAT small, it works for the 3 of us most of the time) and one can open it and use them both flat if one needs greater cooking area and doesn't mind cooking on one side, then flipping.

Of course you won't know if/how often\how YOU will use it until you get one and see. For some people (such as my MiL) a pan or the real grill = all she needs. But we like ours a lot and use it 1-3x/week.

Sorry one more add on: to clean you can unplug it and place moist paper towels in the grill to let it steam clean while you eat but it is worth the extra $ for the removable plates models anyway. (the plates can go in the dishwasher)
  • gretchenpdx
    Options
    We even got the waffle plates and got rid of our waffle maker as well so it is an all-in-one device:

Ohhhhh the waffle plates would be cool! (we have an old Belgian waffle make we use from time to time though so we are not waffle free at least)
    ; )
  • ara005
    ara005 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have a george foreman with removable plates and it has been really good to me. Just remove the plates when dirty and stick them in the dish washer!