Question for runners re: pacing

Options
I am a somewhat newbie to running as I just started last summer. I've run a couple 5K's (well, ran and walked) and plan on running 5-5K's this year. I am trying to run at a steady pace so that I can actually run the whole thing without having to walk parts of it.

My problem is that I can almost complete the distance on a treadmill at a 5.3 mph pace (yeah, I know... it's slow!) but when I get outside and run on the road, I can't seem to go that slow and I wear myself out in less than a mile. How can I learn to pace myself better?

To top it off, I have exercise-induced asthma so when I go too fast (anything over 6.0) for too long I have an asthma attack. Therefore, I really, really, really need to learn to pace myself to 5.3-5.5 mph at least until I train my body to handle faster speeds.

I appreciate any feedback -- I want to be able to finish a 5K by running it, even if it's slow!!

Replies

• kopmom
    kopmom Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I also have exercise-induced asthma, do you use an inhaler? I have to use one when I run so that would be something I think you could get from you dr and try.

Also if you can afford it get a garmin watch. It will give you your pace, distance, calories. It is great to get all your info on your run when running outdoors.

I think you will find using an inhaler will really help you be able to run longer, faster and breath

Good Luck
  • ncw89
    ncw89 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    In my beginners running class on Saturday we were told the best thing is to take around 180 steps per minute. So, 90 steps on each leg. I've also been given the tip to play mindgames with myself to distract myself from concentrating on how tough it is. Try timing yourself for 1 minute while counting your steps, if you're doing more than 90 then try to slow down, then you know what you're aiming for. Do that every few minutes to keep a check on your pace?
  • CaptainSwab
    Options
    I have a garmin that can help with pacing. A good rule of thumb for long runs is that you should be able to have a conversation while doing it. Otherwise you are running too fast.
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    If you cannot carry on a conversation you are probably going too fast, inside or out. I test this inside (and this is silly) by singing to my iPod. lol I'm sure my fellow gym peeps think I am nuts but it works. Also, try using a 2% incline on the treadmill inside. That will make it seem more like outside and may make being outside a bit easier for pacing.
    Also, if you have a Garmin or like device you can work on slowing down my guaging the exact pace outside.
    My husband is severely asthmatic so he just takes a few hits of his inhaler before a run and then during if he needs it. Is that an option for you?
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I am a bad asthmatic and if you think that it is affecting your running you should experiment or discuss with your doctor about using your inhaler before you run. Also, walking is not a sign of failure... it can help you get your heart rate and breathing rate down and make your run much more enjoyable. Outside try to run slower than you think that you need to. Pacing is something that just comes over time. You learn to feel when you are going too fast for you. Just keep at it girlie!
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Kimmbert is right, it you can speak a complete sentence with out huffing and puffing slow down. My garmisn gps watch helped alot with pacing. My wife tries and she was amazed at the differance it made for her.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Or if you have a smartphone there are lots of apps out there that will track your pace among other things. I use Jog Log on my iPhone and love it!
  • RossGoodman
    RossGoodman Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Firstly I'm biased - I'm on the core team of the Strathclyde Park event.

Check out http://www.parkrun.com
    This offers a completely free timed 5k run for people of ALL abilities in a park near you!

There will be others there that will be able to offer advice.
    This wall also give you great motivation as parkrunners are a great bunch of people!

Sorry, I just saw your profile - parkrun has not made it to the USA "yet"!
  • TNGirlyGirl
    TNGirlyGirl Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I use my inhaler before and during a run... I just can't seem to keep to a slower pace outside! I've downloaded an app to my phone to track miles, pace, etc, but it was overcast today and the GPS wouldn't work =(

Thanks for all your input...... I'll keep trying!
  • polz7
    polz7 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    1. GarminGPS watch or smartphone app
    2. more experienced running buddy with a good sense of pace
    3. map out run before on www.mapmyrun.com or other site and remember milestones (first quarter mile, half mile, mile, etc) and take a normal watch. Figure out how long it should take you to reach each milestone and then try for that. Adjust your pace on the go.

I used to be very bad at it too, now I'm a bit better.

Some good advice I got in the past is when you're tired, don't stop, run VERY slowly but don't walk. Active recovery! Makes all the difference.
  • Rocking_Robin
    Rocking_Robin Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I am pretty new at running as well...started in Sept 2011 by doing intervals of walk and run, and I still do them today vs. just running straight. My trainer has me run on the treadmill with a 1.0 to get me used to running outside. It may or may not help you a bit as far as why you can run the entire thing on the treadmill at a higher speed vs. outside. I do not know much about pacing yet either so I cant help you much there....GOOD Luck!!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I try to sing along (or at least mouth the words) to my music. If I can't, I'm going too fast.
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Check out jogfm.com

Find a song that you pace perfecly to on the treadmill ... then download more songs that are like those songs and play them when you run outside. In the beginning keep all of the music that pace... but as you get used to it you can insert a song every 3-4 songs to remind you where your pace is.

I have a variety of songs on my Ipod but a few of them make me run faster. One of the girls I run with will comment "did your song switch" when all of the sudden I am running faster!
  • jessradtke
    jessradtke Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Have you tried shortening your stride? Or running to slower music?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Wear a HRM on the treadmill and see what the avg HR is for the duration. Or notice where you start and probably increase to at that pace.

Set a zone alarm on the HRM when outside to about 5 bpm above (to keep math simple) and stay below it.