Once a year shopping.

Options
If you had to do most of your food shopping for the year all at once, what would you purchase? We supplement with a garden ( frost-free May 15 to Nov 15 only). We also have some berries in the summer and some fruit trees. No extra freezer. The basics we always get are rice, brown if possible, and pinto beans. Any other ideas?

Replies

• bassicmom
    Options
    Awww.. shucks. Anybody? I'm looking for ideas for a little variety.... there are only so many ways to do beans and rice.
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I like fresh food, so I have a hard time imagining shopping only once per year. For staples, though, I would add some of these:

couscous
    whole grain pasta
    pasta sauce
    chicken or vegetable stock
    black beans (I like these as much as pinto and makes good variety)
    fire roasted diced tomatoes (the spice up almost anything, particularly black beans)
    wax beans, garbanzo beans, and kidney beans (make great three bean salad)
    mandarin oranges
    applesauce unsweetened

Do you have a root cellar? If so:

mushrooms
    sweet potatoes
    jicama

Other fresh stuff I'm not sure what to advise about, but I like those. If you've never tried jicama I recommend it. It's sweet and kind of apple-like, but crisp like a potato. It's good in salads or by itself. Be creative.

HTH
  • bassicmom
    Options
    These are all great ideas. I like the oranges especially since we can't grow citrus in our climate. I have heard controversy about canned tomatoes, but I still use them because they are so handy. We don't have a root cellar per se, but the plus side to our moderate to cool climate is low spoilage. We can usually get through most of a 50# bag of onions with it just sitting in the kitchen.
  • bassicmom
    Options
    I've had jicama once. It was pretty ok. The kids had it too and liked it with lemon. I never thought about storing some... good idea.