My reluctant addiction

Options
I am addicted to exercise. Do I love exercise, not really. Do I love the results of exercise, YES!

A year ago January I was overweight and could not even walk a brisk mile without being winded. Today I have maintained a 40 pound weight loss for six months and can run three miles in under 30 minutes.

I really don't like to exercise but I do it almost everyday. I have to talk myself into getting out of bed at 5am to do a Jillian Michaels dvd before getting ready for work. I have to talk myself into my running clothes after work to run a few miles before starting dinner.

Maybe I'm not addicted to exercise but I am addicted to the results
I love being healthier at 47 than many people half my age.
I love wearing a size four. I didn't wear a size four in college.
I love that my daughter sees me making good choices and is making them too.
I love the example that I am to the high school students I teach.
I love that I got called skinny twice last week!

People ask me how I did/do it. This can only be done with long term permanent changes in your life. You must consistently eat a healthy well balanced diet. You must include some kind of regular exercise.

People ask how to get started, how to motivate themselves. Get going, the results will motivate you. If I can do this I promise you anyone can. I was a couch potato and now I am running a 5k next week!!
I love the way I feel.

Like Nike says-Just Do It!!

Replies

• ursula0601k
    ursula0601k Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    wtg! congrats on your new mentality and weight loss!
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way about exercise as I do brushing and flossing my teeth. Is it fun? It can be, but it isn't necessarily. Do I feel good about the results? Absolutely!
  • MrsAbles
    MrsAbles Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    You're an inspiration to many, Ms Soccermom! Good luck on your 5K run next week. It will be a breeze for you!
  • crazybeautifulkittie
    Options
    Hey beautiful! Yes that's you. You are looking AMAZING. Keep up the great work. And exercising is addicting because it keeps the good feelings going.
  • Daphnemomof9
    Daphnemomof9 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Those are the feelings I'm beginning to have at 45 days into my journey. It is very encouraging to hear them from someone who has succeeded and has kept it going and has made a total lifestyle change and can keep it going and continue to see the reason even now that you've gotten used to being skinny. That can sometimes be a rationale for not exercising as much, as it was for me the last time. Thanks so much for the encouragement. :smile:
  • soccermom004
    soccermom004 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Yes, I make sure not to call what I am doing a diet. A "diet" is a short term change. This has to be a change you make forever!
    Thanks!