plateauing?

Options
Is it true...one way to get through a weight loss plateau is eating whatever you want? (for one day that is).. It's supposed to throw off your body and kick it back into gear. Is this correct?

Replies

• hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Some people swear by it. What are you eating right now?
  • Kidvicious28
    Kidvicious28 Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I eat pretty healthy. I'm a pescatarian (vegetarian that eats seafood) so I eat a lot of fruits, veggies, boca burgers, morning star hot dogs, yogurts, salads with low fat dressing, cottage cheese, whole wheat breads, fish, oatmeal, cheerios...stuff like that. I haven't been going over my calories at all. I exercise regularly, some days harder than others, but I always at least get in a 1/2 hour of something...and I always eat my exercise cals.
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    I don't really get that because if I do that I feel like crap for like 2 days! I'm sure that it depends on the person but maybe you should try changing up your workouts or increasing your calories but not drastically. Theres probably someone on here that it has worked for. I wish you luck!!! :happy: :happy:

~Leash :heart:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I did over eat one day and it did break my plateau.

However, I did not eat food that is bad for me. I ate a homemade cheeseburger but instead of 3 oz I had 5. I had whole fat cheese and a big ol onion bun.

I personally think the bowl of icecream is what did it. I had NO sweets for 5 months and maybe my body needed the sugar.

I was eating 1200 + exercise cals. I think the biggest issue is: If you are at 1200 when you START, where are you going to go when you lose weight??

so N E WAY............do what feels right for you body. What is the harm in eating an addl 500-600 cals once day and no exercse to see if you fool the ol bod into letting go of some weight??

Good luck to ya:flowerforyou:
  • Kidvicious28
    Options
    Yea, I think I'm going to experiment today and see what happens. So far I have enough cals to eat a snack and dinner. I ate healthy for breakfast and lunch already, but I think I'm going to go over my calories today (with healthy food of course) and see what happens. I guess I'll never know if it works until I try. I'm just really curious to see how I can get pass this plateau.
    Thanks for your advice!
  • hiddensecant
    Options
    I think a bump of a few hundred healthy calories sounds good. Some people even find they lose weight faster on a higher net.
  • Kidvicious28
    Options
    thanks ghanie :smile: and can I just say you're results in your picture are fantastic! I've been taking pics of myself and nothing really has changed yet lol Way to go :happy:
  • hiddensecant
    Options
    thanks ghanie :smile: and can I just say you're results in your picture are fantastic! I've been taking pics of myself and nothing really has changed yet lol Way to go :happy:

:blushing: Thank you! Losing 3 pounds never felt so good :laugh:.

That reminds me, be sure you're measuring yourself. You could be losing inches in lieu of pounds which isn't too bad.
  • Kidvicious28
    Options
    oh yes, I'm def measuring myself about every two weeks or so. :smile: Since I've started MFP, I lost 2 inches in my waist and hips:happy: Unfortunately, my plateau includes both scale and measurements :ohwell: Nothing is budging.
  • kimss
    kimss Posts: 1,146
    Options
    I just broke my plateau with lowering my carbs to 150g or less and upping my protien to 80-90g and trying to keep my fat to around 30-50g. I lost a pound and 1/2 this last week after a 9 week plateau. I over ate last night so I am hoping that I hold onto my loss over the weekend. I will find out come next Friday when I do my next weighin. good luck:smile:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I just broke my plateau with lowering my carbs to 150g or less and upping my protien to 80-90g and trying to keep my fat to around 30-50g. I lost a pound and 1/2 this last week after a 9 week plateau. I over ate last night so I am hoping that I hold onto my loss over the weekend. I will find out come next Friday when I do my next weighin. good luck:smile:

hmmmmmmm I may have to try this.
    What are the % you that you used??
  • abermingham
    Options
    i need some plateau advice too, i upped my cals and that didnt seem to work so i am upping my exercise alot but the scale isnt budging. do u guys find the closer u get to your goal the harder it is to get those last lbs off? any tips??
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    the closer the harder for sure.

try to increase your cardio (do intervals) and make sure you are doing some strength training.
  • kimss
    kimss Posts: 1,146
    Options
    put in plateau in the search , and there should be lots of advice for you, look for Banks.