Inaccurate Readings?

Options
I've been running on my pro-form elipitical for 30 minutes on resistance 10 (the highest on it) and its been saying I'm burning Around 700 calories each time. I don't feel like these are accurate, any help on whether this is right or wrong would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Barley2121
    Options
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    A lot of people feel like the estimates given by machines are inflated. If it's really concerning you (which it does concern a lot of people) you could consider purchasing a heart rate monitor with a chest strap and the ability to estimate calorie burn during exercise. A lot of people on here use those instead of the estimates given by machines or MFP and feel like they give more realistic numbers. There are also other devices that people use like BodyBugg, BodyMediaFit, and FitBit that use different methods other than heartrate to attempt to estimate calorie burn. It's all still an estimate, but many people feel like the estimates given by those devices is a little more trustworthy. :-)
  • simplyblessed5
    simplyblessed5 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    get an hrm! they are more accurate like the previous poster stated! Some machines are pretty close to what the hrm says, however others are not. It just depends!
  • kimberlyrshan
    kimberlyrshan Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've actually stopped logging a lot of exercise and focused just on maintaining logging my food intake, because I feel like the days I enter exercise estimates either from the machine I used or the suggestion MFP gives me, I gain those weeks. I just log the minimal I did that day to remind myself I need to get up off my *kitten* and make sure I've made an effort...and then I leave those calories lie, I don't eat them up. The weeks I do that, I lose. Hate to say that, because I know losing slowly and safely means getting calorie credit for exercise, but it doesn't work for me. I have one contact that can't figure out why she doesn't lose, but counts food prep as exercise every day. My advice is simply if you do count exercise, low-ball it for sure and certain! :)
  • Buggie129
    Buggie129 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I used to think I worked out hard until I got a heart rate monitor! Now I know when I have to push it! I burn on average 10 calories a minute. I highly suggest that everyone uses a heart rate monitor :bigsmile: