Pounds don't seem to come off

Options
H everyone. I've been on a diet for a little over a month (started Jan. 2nd) and so far I've lost 3 lbs. JUST THREE!!! I'm getting a little frustrated. I was working out but right now I have an upper respiratory infection and can't exercise that much.

I've seen posts with people losing 7-10 lbs or even more in a month. Is there something wrong? Am I doing it wrong?

Starting to lose my motivation :angry:

Replies

• myopus
    myopus Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Three pounds is still a loss, though; you must be doing something right. Are you logging faithfully and watching your net caloric intake?
  • JenLost
    Options
    I am. After posting I tried on a pair of pants I bought back in July and they fit. That really made my day.
  • SammyPacks
    SammyPacks Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Shoot I wish I lost 3 pounds in January... Losing weight can be easier for some more than others... depends on what your diet consists of. Also people who tend to lose weight faster usually have more weight to shed. What's your current and goal weight?
  • KLK1986
    Options
    Well if it makes you feel better I have lost .2 in a month!
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    3 lbs is alot for many in 1 month. it took me 2.5 months to loose 3 lbs!!!! I am almost 4 months into my journey and bounce between 6-8 lbs lost.. that's it!
  • spinedocmfp
    spinedocmfp Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    You are doing fine. You are basically on pace at a pound a week. People losing more probably have 50 to 100 or more pounds to lose. Slow and steady is better, you keep more lean mass (muscle). I have never lost at the pace MFP says I will, but I do lose, and that is what is important.
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    I am. After posting I tried on a pair of pants I bought back in July and they fit. That really made my day.

Just goes to show that it shouldn't just be about the scale. Losing three pounds in a month is an achievement and probably a lot safer than losing it quickly. Losing it slowly ensures that you are losing fat and not muscle. Just keep plugging away and be happy with every pound down. Also measure regularly so that you can see the changes that way too. This should be about losing fat, not losing weight.
  • Kel1516
    Options
    Same here. I am still breastfeeding and my body holds fat. Just continue eating healthy and working out!!
  • wimzywarner
    Options
    And...I have been gaining....and working harder than I ever have (please do not say it is muscle, still cant fit in my pants).
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Just like 99% of all computer problems are user-related, so are 99% of weight-loss problems.

If you have the right input - you will get the right output (weight loss)

Healthy diet and exercise rarely "don't work"

Have you set MFP up to reflect your lifestyle? (1lb per week weight-loss, proper activity level)

Are you exercising? (remember that MFP can overestimate calories burned)

Are you eating healthy? (Can't see your food diary)

Are you eating enough? (1200 doesn't cut it for a lot of people)

Plus remember - you've already lost weight! Keep it up, it doesn't come off overnight, and you don't have a ton of weight to lose.
  • Joannguido
    Options
    nahhhh, you're good. Generally a big weight loss is water or a bigger person. Not everyone loses the same way. 3lbs is good. the slower you lose the longer it stays off. It seems that January was not such a good month. I gained 4 lbs AFTER the holidays!!! Started the gym again, getting the metabolism going, and finished all those evil cookies!!!!!! Good luck!
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    It took me 4 months to lose 10lbs, but it's stayed out. Slow and steady...
  • SammyPacks
    Options
    And...I have been gaining....and working harder than I ever have (please do not say it is muscle, still cant fit in my pants).

Have you tried a new workout regimen? It is possible that you are retaining water right now if starting a new workout to protect your muscles from becoming sore. Your muscles may actually seem more swollen if this is correct... because I started Insanity at 159 and now I'm 163 and have been eating great and working out hard. They say it's common to gain weight in the beginning of a new workout system.
  • hitman1978
    hitman1978 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone that 3lbs is a good start and notice how your jeans now fit where before they didn't, so even though it was just 3lbs, you've obiously lost some mass around your waist. Muscle weighs more than fat, so u might have put on some muscle but lost some fat, so your total was only 3 for the month.Hang in there and you'll reach your goals!!:wink:
  • SammyPacks
    Options
    It took me 4 months to lose 10lbs, but it's stayed out. Slow and steady...

Slow and steady wins the race :)
  • bloodguilt
    Options
    H everyone. I've been on a diet for a little over a month (started Jan. 2nd) and so far I've lost 3 lbs. JUST THREE!!! I'm getting a little frustrated. I was working out but right now I have an upper respiratory infection and can't exercise that much.

I've seen posts with people losing 7-10 lbs or even more in a month. Is there something wrong? Am I doing it wrong?

Starting to lose my motivation :angry:

Hey pal, don't be discourage because you're on the right track and I think you're doing fine. Don't rush on how you should shed those fats off, remember, you put them on for years so you cant expect lose them that fast. Remember that slow and steady pace wins the race. If you've seen some people made a great loss in such a short time, don't envy them because we are created uniquely by our beloved Creator. What works for some people may not work for you and me so take it easy and just be consistent with your healthy diet and exercise.
  • JenLost
    Options
    Slow and steady. I like that. That will be my new motto. Thanks! :happy:
  • MelL1205
    MelL1205 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I have lost 1 pound total in the past 4 months, but I'm still chugging along. My clothes fit nicely. Eventually, the pounds will come.
  • Mom0fTwo
    Mom0fTwo Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    same here... this is how mine has gone so far, 4 lbs the first 2 weeks and then nothing for 2 weeks and then 2 lbs and then nothing for a month and then 1 lb and then I was stuck and then in the last 2 weeks the rest came off so it took me 3.5 months to lose 10 lbs, so dont worry you will get there!! (one more lb and I am half way yay me!!)
  • rachelcschmidt
    Options
    If you haven't done it yet, you should measure yourself! I've been really discouraged because I haven't lost any weight in a month, but I did lose 4.25 inches off my body, so I am firming up. Plus, I don't have much left to lose. If you've been doing a certain work out, maybe you need to try something else because your body's used to it.