Is Fitness Walking. 6 Miles A Day, A Great Idea?

Options
I'm thinking of just taking up fitness walking more permanently (can't seem to jog/run like I used to anymore. I always end up walking in between anyway).

And I just wanted to know if walking 6 miles (5-6 times a week) is a good idea? Thanks.

Replies

• mbmorse1011
    mbmorse1011 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Any exercise is better than no exercise. Walking is great! You can burn lots of calories (if you get your speed up or uphill). Plus its not as stressful on your body as running.
  • sgha
    sgha Posts: 225
    Options
    I think it is absolutely a fantastic idea!!! Have you tried racewalking?
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    I walk six miles about everyother day :)
  • rebeccawalker1982
    rebeccawalker1982 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    My husbands aunt went from a size 14/16 to a size 2/4 in about 7 months by just logging her food on here and walking anywhere from 2-6 miles a day.....now I have been walking everyday and so far have lost 6 lbs in a month and a total of about 5 inches.
  • hollin40
    hollin40 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Walking is EXCELLENT exercise!!! It's better for you joints than running. I used to walk 6 miles a day and loved it. I work out with the Xbox now and it's great too but I loved getting outside and working out.
  • Brooks088
    Options
    I do walking on a treadmill daily. Add the incline and see what a difference in calories you can burn rather than just walking on it flat. Between ellyptical and treadmill I usually get in 5-6 miles a day.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I love walking for exercise! Right now, I'm only able to go 2-3 days a week - there still isn't enough daylight for me to go as often as I would like. In the spring/summer/fall, I rely almost 100% on hiking (which is really essentially the same intensity/impact as fitness walking) for my cardio. I also lift weights a couple days a week.

I go 4-6 miles per session, include lots of hills and carry a small backpack with water and other odds and ends.

It's been a great way for me to get fit and lose weight!
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Of course! That's 42 miles a week...imagine how that adds up over time! :D
  • runwithmike
    Options
    Nothing wrong with walking. I had an injury this past July 4th and I was schedule to run a 5k. At the registration booth I asked if I could switch to the walking class. I finished in second and claimed a medal. I walk a lot and am glad I do.
  • ChristineDiet
    ChristineDiet Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with walking. I had an injury this past July 4th and I was schedule to run a 5k. At the registration booth I asked if I could switch to the walking class. I finished in second and claimed a medal. I walk a lot and am glad I do.
    Just wanted to say "good for you, great job". x
  • Paolinat
    Paolinat Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    If it gets too easy, add some weights (ankle and/or hand). Can also diversify your walk by every half mile (or at some other increment) do push ups, squats, ab crunches, etc.
  • Hoakiebs
    Hoakiebs Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Been walking 90 min. ( 6-6.75 mi) 4-5 days a week...have lost 27 lbs in 54 days (1/2 lb. per day). I think it's better than running because it keeps you in "fat-burning" mode.
  • LiannaJo
    Options
    There's a lot of hills and inclines where I live (LOL!). No problem there!!

Thanks everybody! God bless you all!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    If it gets too easy, add some weights (ankle and/or hand). Can also diversify your walk by every half mile (or at some other increment) do push ups, squats, ab crunches, etc.

NEVER use ankle weights

you can get a backpack and add some weight...like a backpacker or hiker
  • LiannaJo
    Options
    NO! I never use ankle weights. These inclines and hills, where I live, are enough that the knees can handle, trust me on that!

I do my weight training first (from a 30 minute DVD) and then go for my walk, is what I normally do anyway.
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    i walk every day when it's warm enough.

winter : exercise bike or treadmill.
  • LiannaJo
    Options
    Yeah, in the winter, I do cardio DVD's (Leslie Sansone or Denise Austin). But when it's bearable, I go outside mostly.
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Great exercise! I have a bum knee and I only walked all the way from 319 pounds down to around 200. I now do more, but still only low impact - I tried a Couch to 5k and discovered very quickly my knee wouldn't tolerate it. So I still walk a lot.
  • Suzi2191
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to all this, just started on Friday. I have a pedometer that counts my steps and miles that i walk each day. when I go to enter my walking it asks for minutes; if I have pedometer on all day, how do I know what to fill in, or is there a way to just put in the miles walked? Thanks!
  • CSummers316
    Options
    I do quite a bit of walking on my job, so on non gym days I generally only get in a couple of miles worth of walking in. I have recently, since starting on MFP, started going outside on my break and walking at a pretty respectable pace for 30 minutes at a time. Then on gym days I tend to hit the elliptical for 40 - 65 minutes depending on the day. Good times.