So confused!!

Options
My daily goal is set at 1200 calories and when I've gone below that in the past, MFP told me I was eating too little. But if I eat 1200 cals and and burn off 200 or 300, it doesn't warn me to eat more even though my net cals are low. But isn't that just as bad?

I am a little confused...

Replies

• obsessed657
    Options
    I've been wondering the same thing, I'm interested to see what other people think.
  • CMH2011
    Options
    You need to meet your Minimum calories for your body to function, = 1200 If you are below this intake your body can go into starvation mode and will not function properly. When you add exercise calorie loss it is NOT the same as Not eating those calories.
  • magdalene12
    Options
    Yeah, it seems like it would be just as unhealthy because you need more food to make up for all that energy you put in to exercising, but then I wonder why MFP gives no warning about that when you complete your diary for the day
  • magdalene12
    Options
    You need to meet your Minimum calories for your body to function, = 1200 If you are below this intake your body can go into starvation mode and will not function properly. When you add exercise calorie loss it is NOT the same as Not eating those calories.

Hmm...ok, that makes sense. So I've heard stories about the dangers or over exercising - do those just refer to the potential injuries/strain?
  • russellma
    russellma Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I know some people do not eat back their exercise calories and end up with a deficit, but many of the successful people I know eat back most or all of them.

Personally, if I allow myself to net below 1200 calories too many days in a row, it slows down my weight loss. MFP started me at 1200 cal/day, and I actually increased my daily calories to 1340 PLUS eat back enough calories to make sure I'm over 1200 net, so I get to eat 1500-1600 calories and am still losing weight steadily.

I don't see any reason to torture myself when I can lose weight without feeling like I'm on a diet. It's a win-win!