Sugar Cravings?

Options
Hey, so I have never had a sweet tooth, not even as a kid, never liked candies or juice or any of that stuff.The occasional chocolate is good but thats about it. My weakness has always been greasy foods and carbs. But since I have been eating better I cant stop thinking about sugar stuff, like cookies and chocolate bars, and cupcakes. Why the heck is this happening? Am I missing out on some kind of nutrient all of a sudden that is making me crave these things? If anyone has any idea please let me know!

Replies

• issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    We could probably help more if you make your diary public. Do you eat white bread and pasta? lots of fruit? Those can spike your blood sugar and lead to sweet cravings.
  • LittleMissDoll
    Options
    I dont eat much of either. Ill make my diary public so people can see
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I think your food choices look really good. It might help to switch to brown rice. Sorry, not much help. Good luck.
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    Orrr, go with the cravings. Unless you are against sweeteners. I like sugar free freezies.(ice pops, ice lollies?) Whatever you might call them.
  • mrh1227
    Options
    Hey! This is my number one question, and was my number one question before I started eating healthier. There is actually an article about this on Beachbody's website, and it stats that sugar cravings DO in fact come from a lack of other nutrients in the body. This also goes for general food cravings.

Think about the last time you opened a bag of chips. The reason why you are able to swallow a whole bag of chips but not more than a piece of two of chicken is because of what is present in both of them. The chips have little or no nutrients that give the body energy (we call these "empty calories"). When you feed the body empty calories, it keeps asking for more, hoping you'll feed it nutrients it can use. This goes on until your body is too full to ask for anymore food, or the bag is gone. When you eat the chicken, your body takes the protein and processes it, and gives you a fuller feeling for longer while it processes it. The same thing goes for sugar cravings.

As someone who grew up with a family who LOVES candy, I had to really ween myself down on this carefully and have a few tips. One is simply willpower, mixed with a bit of creativity. If you're feeling the need to intake something sweet, then instead reach for a vegetable like celery or carrots. To TRULY satisfy that craving, take half a serving of peanut butter (1 tbsp) and use it to dip the vegetables in. This should greatly curb your desire to eat sweets.

Also, eating a LARGE amount of protein (25-30g) as soon as you wake up will generally curb hunger attacks during the day, which directly includes sugar cravings.

Eating natural sweets (such as fruits) can help tremendously, though I would take this approach with a grain of salt, as depending on the person it may ignite further cravings.

The last, and potentially biggest, cause for sugar cravings is stress. We all go through stress, and it can cause us to eat some awkward stuff. Whenever you are feeling stressed and craving sweets, one major step to take is to simply grab some water, and do some Yoga. This has been something that helps me majorly, and if you don't do Yoga, I heavily recommend you look into it, or similar meditative states.

If you have any other questions, or would like to discuss anything with me, feel free to message me or add me as a friend, or both! :)

Independent Team Beachbody Coach~ Michael Poveromo
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm wrong here, so don't take my word for it, but I'm fairly certain we actually do need some amount of sugar in our bodies that comes from the food / drinks we ingest. The best way to get it as I'm sure anyone would tell you is through fruit and vegetables. That helps me sometimes if I'm craving too many sweets.. not always, but sometimes. lol.
  • spluker
    Options
    I get that too sometimes. All I do is go for something sweat but reasonable. I eat like a chocolate rice bar (up to 200 kcal but aiming for about 150kcal) or make myself a slimfast shake (don't know if you get them where you live). One portion is about 250kcal, it's fairly sweet and it counts as a meal so you don't really feel hungry at all after then. I always try to reach the MFP calories limit per day so if I fancy a beer or something sweet I go for some cardio for an hour.

It's not very refined but it sort of works for me so far.

:)
  • Judestar67
    Options
    I too have Sugar cravings wish I didnt though it would help my weight loss efforts much better lol:wink: