Not understanding

Options
I posted a few weeks ago about my lack of weight loss after incradable attempts but I got a great positive feed back so I continued to go about my healthy eating and gym 5 times a week. Well here we are two more weeks in and I'm still the same weight or gained a pound depending on the time of the day!!! I just don't understand why this is I'm eating so healthy and working my but off I
Giving my muscles food with protein and protein rich foods and I'm eating good! Can anyone help me or help me understand I need to loose 20 more pounds and I'm 5'11 and according to my doctor it will help my health! Please help me anyone.

Replies

• Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Did you measure yourself? The scale is no way to measure fat loss.

And I would suggest only weighing yourself once per week, in the morning, naked, after your morning "business".

Do you have a pair of pants that were "snug" before you started this? Try them on and see how they fit today.

Good luck, do not give up. I am in the exact same boat but I know for a fact I am dropping inches.
  • Donnacoach
    Donnacoach Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have plateaued. Try to change something up in your daily routine. Maybe exercise at a different time, eat your snacks and meals at different times. How late are you eating your dinner at night? Are you snacking after that? I try to eat before 6:00 PM nightly. Then I will hop on my elliptical at around 7:30. I also exercise in the early AM most days as well, and follow up with a good steady breakfast. Good luck.
  • georgina1970
    georgina1970 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm also not losing any weight but am reassured by the fact I can now fit into some clothes I couldn't 3mths ago. It sounds like your not eating enough. I'm 5'0" and my daily calorie goal is 1220. At 5'11" and exercising 5x/wk, you should be eating more than that! I suggest you visit a dietician.
  • georgina1970
    georgina1970 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    According to the BMI calculator the healthy weight range for your height is 150-180 pounds.
  • Laura_Ivy
    Laura_Ivy Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I wish I had words of advice but I am in the exact same predicament except mine has been going on since the end of October! I've tried upping exercise,lowering exercise, eating more which caused me to gain 2 lbs on top of the weight I have to lose. LOL! It's insane....I went so far as to ask my doctor to refer me to an endocrinologist but she declined my request. But maybe that is an option for you? Go to your doctors and request bloodwork to see if your thyroid is low and to check your blood sugar. I'm sorry you are so frustrated but I completely understand the frustration but I keep at it in hopes that eventually it will all come together and I will lose something. At this point 10 lbs would be amazing! :sad:
  • sarahbear1981
    sarahbear1981 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    What do you have your weekly weight loss goal set too? If it is 2lbs a week it is too high. Try adjusting to 1lb.
  • Generalle
    Generalle Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Eat more. Helped me when I had slowed
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Your diary is closed so there's no way to really help you with your diet. Are you eating your exercise calories? I was stuck at the same weight for a while and was only eating a few of my excercise calories since I started eating all of them I have been losing weight more consistently. Best of luck to you. Stick with it.
  • zerocalz
    Options
    I wish I had words of advice but I am in the exact same predicament except mine has been going on since the end of October! I've tried upping exercise,lowering exercise, eating more which caused me to gain 2 lbs on top of the weight I have to lose. LOL! It's insane....I went so far as to ask my doctor to refer me to an endocrinologist but she declined my request. But maybe that is an option for you? Go to your doctors and request bloodwork to see if your thyroid is low and to check your blood sugar. I'm sorry you are so frustrated but I completely understand the frustration but I keep at it in hopes that eventually it will all come together and I will lose something. At this point 10 lbs would be amazing! :sad:

You basically just described my situation to a tee. The worst (or good, depending on how you see it) part is, there's nothing wrong with me from an endocrinology perspective. I'm now considering going with a radical diet like Dr. Bernstein or some other ****.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Make your diary public.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    Have you had your glucose levels checked? People who are insulin resistant (not diabetic) can have difficulty losing weight. You can also have metabolism issues if you have other conditions like PCOS, etc.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    As others have said, we can't help if we can't see your diary.
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    How are you calculating your exercise calories? If you don't have a HRM, you could be overestimating your burn. Have you got a food scale? You could be underestimating your food.

My loss slowed completely until recently when I've stopped eating mine back. I have a HRM and a food scale, but was merely exercising enough to eat s***ty food so now that I'm not, it's working. Gotta be honest with yourself!!
  • beyg
    beyg Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    you may have reach a point where you are building muscle, many not show a weight loss but lower body fat. Are you doing weights?
  • SARBelgians
    SARBelgians Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hi!

It sounds like you might not be eating enough calories for your activity level.

For example with me, I weighted 252 when I started. Was given around 1700 calorie limit to eat (set up to lose 2#/week) because of my height, weight and age. I'm 5'8". That 1700 has nearly a 1000 calorie deficit built in to it already. So, if I did nothing, and ate 1700, I would lose about 2# a week. If I am active, I log it. I usually burn 400-600 calories a day in my daily activity/exercises. I eat most of those calories back. My goal is to have a NET calorie of 1700 every day.

My first week, I wasn't paying attention to that. I lost 9# the first week (mostly water weight). The second week, my body started to gain again. By the 3rd week, I was up 5#. I had gained back almost everything I had lost initially. Talk about frustrating!

I looked back at my NET calories. I only ate around 900 NET calories for nearly 10 days. I was starving my body and it was in rebellion....saving every ounce of fat it could. I boosted my calories back to around 1700 NET by eating back my exercise calories and I lost 2.5# in 3 days. Energy levels are up, headaches are gone...all thanks keeping to my NET calorie requirement.

Don't be afraid to eat those exercise calories. Remember, MPF already has a deficit built in to the calories it gives you. Only pay attention to net calories...don't be freaked out by seeing your total calories at 2100 or 2400...it is NET that really counts. Try eating your NET for a week. I'll bet you the scale will move down in 7 days.

Jill

15449148.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • mariholm
    mariholm Posts: 50 Member
    Options

You basically just described my situation to a tee. The worst (or good, depending on how you see it) part is, there's nothing wrong with me from an endocrinology perspective. I'm now considering going with a radical diet like Dr. Bernstein or some other ****.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...on someone tall like you, losing 20 pounds is like those elusive last 10 pounds for most people. It's just going to take a lot of work and perseverance and it'll probably happen slowly. I am on my last 9...I want them gone, but I am also just focusing more energy on strength training to create longer and leaner muscles which has already changed the way my clothes fit in the last 5 weeks.
  • crazybigchick
    Options
    I actually have a doctors apt on Tuesday to have all my hormone levels checked, because I eat well, exercise often, and can't seem to lose. I have lost a few inches but it is taking honest to goodness a year to drop 3 inches. My doctor thinks (because of a whole list of other issues as well as my weight) that maybe my hormone levels or thyroid is off. A trip to the doctor can't hurt. Just a thought. lol
  • ohlefty
    ohlefty Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've totally been there. I've hit plateaus a couple of times while dieting and exercising (always eating well and responsibly while doing the math with calories in and out), but even beyond that I've found that it takes me at LEAST a month of consistent effort to even BEGIN seeing the scale go down. Others in my family have had the same experience so I think it must be that some people are predisposed to this type of weight "loss" pattern. For all of us, once the weight has started to come off it has come off steadily. It's like our bodies resisted and resisted and resisted, and then suddenly got the message. Unless your doctors find some kind of explanation, I'd encourage you to just keep on trying. It's super frustrating, I know.
  • mariholm
    mariholm Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I understand your frustration but would not advise doing the Berstein diet. I did it 2 yrs ago after pregnancy, lost about 40 lbs in 3 months BUT I also lost a lot of muscle mass (at 500 cal with almost no carbs per day you have no energy to exercise) and also my hair was falling out in chunks and it's horribly expensive. When I went back to a normal diet (healthy for the most part) and despite exercising regularly most of the weight came back. it has worked for some, but most end up being repeat customers. instead of a quick fix, this time I chose the "slow and steady wins the race" approach. I've hit a plateau too but hope to get over this hump soon. Good luck, stick with it!