LADIES ONLY!!

Options
So I keep hearing various things about how your menstural cycle effects the number on the scale. What is your understanding of it? Also, I weigh in weekly. Do you guys count your weigh in on the week ur on your period or do you just skip that weigh in all together?

Replies

• sdlr4592
    Options
    Medically speaking, I'd assume that the scale could say more around the week of your period because of bloating, but I'm not entirely sure. I think a lot of people tend to have a five pound fluctuation. But I only weigh once a month, so I'm not aware of my apparent fluctuation.
  • swilk627
    swilk627 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    A lot of women tend to retain more water those few days of the month.
  • KaitiMoss
    KaitiMoss Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Really glad you asked this, I was also wondering!
  • visiri
    visiri Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Pre MFP - I went up anywhere from 3-5 lbs, This cycle - I only went up a pound!!! I credit that to all the water I drink. Drinking so much water prevented water retention and bloating. It was wonderful to realize that I really could beat the bloat. This was my first real cycle on MFP - been on for a month now - so it will be interesting to see if the bloating stays down month over month.

Oh - and I kind of cheated but since I weigh daily, I took the weight of the day before for my weekly weigh in. I can't wait to see how I do this week. I'm hoping for a big decrease.
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I gain as much as 6-7 pounds of water during my period. YAY ME...

It all starts coming off within a few days of starting though.
  • dharju
    dharju Posts: 12
    Options
    I skip that week because it just makes me feel crappy and then I go for the chips. yes your weight does go up and it is normal ( I asked my doc)
  • csmith4567
    csmith4567 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    no doubt ... I see anywhere from 3-5 water retention on average, but it goes way down if I'm drinking a lot of water in the week ahead of time ...
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I too can gain a lot but thanks to the one who said drinking water helps I will try it
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    What did you do before MFP?
  • garnet1483
    garnet1483 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week, first thing in the morning every week. That day happens to fall right in the middle of my TOM, when it happens. So far, I actually haven't noticed anything odd. I've been losing an average of 2-2.5 lbs a week, and that week was no different. However, obviously, some people do retain more water during that time. I've never had it really bad, though, so that could be why my weight isn't overly affected. I think, you track it, but you don't get hung up on it, same as any other week.
  • tataliciousd89
    Options
    The week before I gain about 3 lbs in water weight, but I pee it all off within a day of starting. I only gained like .8 this month and I think it's because I'm drinking so much water.
  • babytis
    babytis Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I usually gain a few pounds duing mine too, but I still weigh in and count that week.