running advice please!

Options
hi! i have just recently got myself built up to running/jogging on the treadmill rather than walking. i have back pain in the center of my shoulder blades when i'm done. i do have a supportive bra. (might be t.m.i, but i am also rather small chested, maybe a full b size) any suggestions?

Replies

• jlambert77
    jlambert77 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    are you holding onto the treadmill when you are running? if not..check your posture, it sounds like you're somehow straining your upper back/shoulders..which could mean "hunching over" while you're running? maybe?

edited: just to be clear, you should NOT be holding onto the treadmill while you are running... :)
  • kj2380
    Options
    I have a really hard time too. I feel like I've tried everything. I usually skip the treadmill and hit the elliptical instead. I used to just stick to intervals on the treadmill and it didn't hurt as much. Good luck
  • animatej24
    Options
    yes there is a thing called a foam roller you can use this right after a work out on muscle to prevent soar ness and pain it works wonders if you are wondering what i am talking about just look it up on youtube it might help
  • tbloor
    tbloor Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    When I first started running, I had pain in my shoulders/neck...I believe because I was using proper posture instead of slouching and it was a strain on muscles that were not used to working that way! For me, after a couple of weeks, I got stronger and the pain went away. Good luck!
  • lightstruck1
    lightstruck1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    happens to me sometimes. Make sure your posture is straight, and if you can't keep up with it, try putting the treadmill at an incline, it can help pull your shoulders back.
  • susanloveszumba
    Options
    i get the same pain when i bicycle long distances. i assumed it was due to my posture.
  • caribeals
    caribeals Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    thanks guys! i don't hold the handle bars when i jog, but i do pump my arms pretty high. (i look goofy when i run lol) i will definately work on my posture, and check out the foam roller! :smile:
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    Are you tensing up your shoulders when you run? That's really common with newer runners, especially when they start to get tired, and that could cause soreness. Google proper running form to make sure your form is correct, and try to stay loose and relaxed while you run. If it is a strain, trying slowing your speed down a little.
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    That happened to me in the beginning. Make sure that you are keeping your upper body relaxed. I think it is tension more than anything. That seemed to be the problem for me. Also, don't bring your arms across your body, instead pump them front to back in more of a straight line. I've watched videos on youtube for good running form. They are helpful for sure.
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I wonder if a few trips to the chiropractor would help? Most of my back pain is directly related to my back being out of alignment...especially if it is that high in my back.
  • getalife9353
    getalife9353 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Do you do any type of stretching after running?
    If not try doing some stretching of the shoulders and back after your run, while your muscles are still warm. It helped me tremendously. I normally stretch all major muscles after running. If fact I consider the stretch to be the reward for running.
  • Bsnell10
    Options
    Today was the first time i tried running....im usually an elliptical kinda girl but would the to be a runner...i did 45 mins at no incline at 5.0 and 5 mins of walking not counting warm up and cool down but my hips are killing me mo ony right side than my left...am i doing it wrong or just over do it? I usually workout for atleast 60 to 120 mins a session and i do everything spinning, zumba,etc... tips? Also i gota hrm only had it about a week it said for the run i burned over 800 calories where the treadmill and mfp says 403 which is right? Thanks
  • Bsnell10
    Options
    ok thats what i thought i just over did it but i have been working out for a very long time using the elliptical trainer going 60 mins on that at a time or atleast 6 miles so i figured i could handle it...we will see how spinning goes this morning lol!!