Looking for homemade protein bar recipe?

Options
Has to be yummy, preferably low-fat, low-cal, and preferably more protein than carbs, or low-carb. The less ingredients, the better. I've found a few recipes on Google, but I want to make sure they're tried and true, and actually taste good.
Help a girl out?

Replies

• tbloor
    tbloor Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Was just talking about this with my workout buddy tonight...we are looking for the same recipe! I hope someone here can help us out!
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    I have 2 recipes but have not tried either one. Not sure if it counts as "low fat" but see if it works for you.

Apricot-Walnut Cereal Bars
    Crisp and chewy, this bar is a good-for-you alternative to store-bought cereal bars. The secret ingredient, silken tofu, will give your day a protein-packed start. The recipe also works with other fruit-and-nut combinations.
    16 servings | Active Time: 30 minutes | Total Time: 2 hours (including cooling time)
    Ingredients
    • 3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
    • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, (about 2 ounces)
    • 3 cups unsweetened puffed-grain cereal, such as Kashi
    • 2 cups chopped dried apricots
    • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 12 ounces silken tofu, drained (about 1 1/3 cups)
    • 1 large egg
    • 1/2 cup canola oil
    • 1 cup honey
    • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
    • 2 tablespoons freshly grated lemon zest
    Preparation
    1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a large (15 1/4-by-10 1/4-inch) jellyroll-style pan with cooking spray.
    2. Spread oats and walnuts on a baking sheet with sides. Bake until fragrant and light golden, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and add puffed cereal, dried apricots, flour and salt; stir to combine.
    3. Meanwhile, puree tofu, egg, oil, honey, vanilla and lemon zest in a food processor or blender until smooth, scraping down the sides as needed. Make a well in the center of the oat mixture; fold in the tofu mixture until combined. Spread evenly in the prepared pan.
    4. Bake until firm in the center and golden brown, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool completely in the pan on a wire rack before cutting into bars with a sharp knife.
    Nutrition
    Per serving : 306 Calories; 12 g Fat; 1 g Sat; 5 g Mono; 13 mg Cholesterol; 46 g Carbohydrates; 6 g Protein; 3 g Fiber; 87 mg Sodium; 367 mg Potassium
    3 Carbohydrate Serving
    Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fruit, 2 fat
    Tips & Notes
    • Make Ahead Tip: Individually wrap in plastic and keep at room temperature for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 1 month. Thaw at room temperature or remove plastic, wrap in a paper towel and defrost according to your microwave's directions.

Almond-Honey Power Bar
    Great for breakfast on the go! Golden roasted nuts, seeds and oats are enveloped by flavorful almond butter in these delectably chewy, no-fuss energy bars. Unrefined turbinado sugar adds a deep caramelly undertone. Feel free to use light brown sugar instead. Bars stored at room temperature will be softer than those that are refrigerated.
    8 bars | Active Time: 30 minutes | Total Time: 1 hour (including chilling)
    Ingredients
    • 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
    • 1/4 cup slivered almonds
    • 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
    • 1 tablespoon flaxseeds, preferably golden
    • 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
    • 1 cup unsweetened whole-grain puffed cereal (see Note)
    • 1/3 cup currants
    • 1/3 cup chopped dried apricots
    • 1/3 cup chopped golden raisins
    • 1/4 cup creamy almond butter (see Note)
    • 1/4 cup turbinado sugar (see Note)
    • 1/4 cup honey
    • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    • 1/8 teaspoon salt
    Preparation
    1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat an 8-inch-square pan with cooking spray.
    2. Spread oats, almonds, sunflower seeds, flaxseeds and sesame seeds on a large, rimmed baking sheet. Bake until the oats are lightly toasted and the nuts are fragrant, shaking the pan halfway through, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl. Add cereal, currants, apricots and raisins; toss to combine.
    3. Combine almond butter, sugar, honey, vanilla and salt in a small saucepan. Heat over medium-low, stirring frequently, until the mixture bubbles lightly, 2 to 5 minutes.
    4. Immediately pour the almond butter mixture over the dry ingredients and mix with a spoon or spatula until no dry spots remain. Transfer to the prepared pan. Lightly coat your hands with cooking spray and press the mixture down firmly to make an even layer (wait until the mixture cools slightly if necessary). Refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes; cut into 8 bars.
    Nutrition
    Per serving : 244 Calories; 10 g Fat; 1 g Sat; 5 g Mono; 0 mg Cholesterol; 38 g Carbohydrates; 5 g Protein; 3 g Fiber; 74 mg Sodium; 313 mg Potassium
    2 1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
    Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 2 fat
    Tips & Notes
    • Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container at room temperature or in the refrigerator for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 1 month; thaw at room temperature.
    • Ingredient notes: For this recipe, we like unsweetened puffed multi-grain cereal, such as Kashi’s 7 Whole Grain Puffs.
    • Almond butter can be found at natural-foods stores and large supermarkets, near the peanut butter.
    • Turbinado sugar is steam-cleaned raw cane sugar. It’s coarse-grained and light brown in color, with a slight molasses flavor. Find it in the natural-foods section of large supermarkets or at natural-foods stores.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ajball90
    ajball90 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I made protein balls the other night, but if you want them as bars you could just shape them that way. I just used choc protein powder, natural peanut butter, oats, and a mashed banana. Also put in a tiny bit of water because it was hard to mix it all together. You'll just have to guess the amounts, because I didnt follow a recipe, I just guessed how much I wanted. Also rolled them in shredded coconut when I was finished. They tasted really good, pretty sweet though, next time I wont put as much peanut butter.
  • ajball90
    ajball90 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I made protein balls the other night, but if you want them as bars you could just shape them that way. I just used choc protein powder, natural peanut butter, oats, and a mashed banana. Also put in a tiny bit of water because it was hard to mix it all together. You'll just have to guess the amounts, because I didnt follow a recipe, I just guessed how much I wanted. Also rolled them in shredded coconut when I was finished. They tasted really good, pretty sweet though, next time I wont put as much peanut butter.

Sorry, forgot to add, I then put them in the freezer for about two hours before eating them.