Question for my vegans...

Options
Ok, I read somewhere that vegans are naturally warmer than everyone else (can't remember where I read that). But in some cases, we're colder for a while after becoming vegan because we're detoxing.

Well, I've been vegan for 3 years now, and I'm still freezing. I've been really cold for the last 2 or 3 winters. This one is especially rough, which is understandable as I'm lighter now than I have ever been.

What do my vegans think about this?

And if you're a clever meat-eater that thinks it's hilllaaarious to tell me that I should just eat meat, then I say, thank you for the bump on this post. :wink:

Replies

• theflyingartist
    theflyingartist Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I suffer with being cold simply because I'm either not exercising enough/poor circulation (I was vegan for 5 years).
    The only way to warm up quickly is by drinking tea! Soups and warm squash right from the oven always hits the spot.

But really, circulation is a big one. Are you taking multivitamins and supplements?
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Ok, I read somewhere that vegans are naturally warmer than everyone else (can't remember where I read that). But in some cases, we're colder for a while after becoming vegan because we're detoxing.

Well, I've been vegan for 3 years now, and I'm still freezing. I've been really cold for the last 2 or 3 winters. This one is especially rough, which is understandable as I'm lighter now than I have ever been.

And if you're a clever meat-eater that thinks it's hilllaaarious to tell me that I should just eat meat, then I say, thank you for the bump on this post. :wink:

I would say the cold sensation is more weight dependent for me. Though my feet are ALWAYS cold!
  • PatasDeGallina
    PatasDeGallina Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I suffer with being cold simply because I'm either not exercising enough/poor circulation (I was vegan for 5 years).
    The only way to warm up quickly is by drinking tea! Soups and warm squash right from the oven always hits the spot.

But really, circulation is a big one. Are you taking multivitamins and supplements?

Maybe working out more would help. I do take a multivitamin. Not every day tho, I'm terrible about remembering.

Thanks!
  • ragekage21
    ragekage21 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Could it also simply be your weight loss? Less insulation? I know my wife is FREEZING all the time now that she's dropped 90 lbs.
  • jessradtke
    jessradtke Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I was vegan for 15 years and I was always cold. I'm no longer vegan and have put on quite a few pounds. I'm still cold.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I am vegan and cold all of the time but for me I think that is due to a huge weight loss not so much the food choices I make.
  • nkziv
    nkziv Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    veganism doesn't affect your body temperature. amount of fat on your body does, somewhat.
  • LuvDMB
    LuvDMB Posts: 26
    Options

Have you had your thyroid checked? Being cold all the time can be a symptom of an underactive thyroid.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

being a carnivore myself I wasnt going to tell you to eat meat, but rather put on a coat:) good luck finding your answer:))
  • wendyapple
    wendyapple Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    i've heard people who maintain a raw diet tend to be colder, but haven't heard this about vegans. i think in general, people who have less bodyfat to insulate are colder.
  • sarahness
    sarahness Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    i think its different for everyone. try taking supplements if your not already. maybe your low on iron also. maybe have your dr do a check on which vitamins your low on?
  • scribe313
    scribe313 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I am not vegan, but have removed chicken, beef, and pork out of my diet (still eat fish and dairy). I have noticed that I am really colder than normal. I use to run really hot, being the person always turning down the heat in my house, but now I am the first to turn on the heat. I figured it had to do with the weight lost, but now you have me a little worried. lol
  • PatasDeGallina
    PatasDeGallina Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your responses. I do take a multivitamin (when I can friggin remember) and it has extra iron because it's prenatal (I'm not pregnant, I wanted the extra iron).

I'll get my blood levels checked and try and work out more. Great ideas!

I'm just tired of being so uncomfortable and the only one in my office in three layers. My finger nails turn blue. BLAH!!
  • hellraisedfire
    hellraisedfire Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegan, but when I was normal weight I was cold. now that I am overweight. I am cold. generally when I am in my natural climate (around 0F to -20F) I am warmer. throw me into say, florida, I am extremely cold.

so honestly, I have no idea. use it as an excuse to move to the caribbean :D
  • hellraisedfire
    hellraisedfire Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your responses. I do take a multivitamin (when I can friggin remember) and it has extra iron because it's prenatal (I'm not pregnant, I wanted the extra iron).

I'm just tired of being so uncomfortable and the only one in my office in three layers. My finger nails turn blue. BLAH!!

check out Raynaud’s syndrome. not sure how common it is or if it has a cure, but it's cause by spasming blood vessels. if your nails are turning blue that's likely not your fault. :/
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options

check out Raynaud’s syndrome. not sure how common it is or if it has a cure, but it's cause by spasming blood vessels. if your nails are turning blue that's likely not your fault. :/

I have heard of Raynaud's syndrome, but I had blueish/purple fingernails almost continuously when I was at goal weight many years ago. Raynaud's tends to involve blanching and pain. This was different.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    Your body temperature depends on so many more things than simply your diet. If you have poor circulation, you're going to be colder. If you're dieting and/or starving yourself, you're going to be colder. Women are (for the most part) naturally colder than men because our bodies circulate differently.

Also, what you feel may differ greatly from the actual temperature of your body. I have an average body temperature of about 97, which is 1.6 degrees lower than the norm, yet I often find that I'm warm when others are cold or vice versa.

Weight also plays into it, to some degree. Fat is effective in keeping in warmth, after all.
  • micklespiffy
    Options
    Anything with "detox" is suspect. Weight loss is my first guess then everyone else's excellent observation on health and circulation etc. that I claim no knowledge of.

"Warmer" is probably just personality. :smile:
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    I do take a multivitamin (when I can friggin remember)

Get one of those pill cases with the days of the week and put it somewhere that you'll see every day at the point in time you're supposed to take your vitamin. That's what I did and I almost never forget, now. Also, setting specific time of day to take it helps.
  • CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Bump will read later.