Easy Lunch Ideas...I'm all hummus-ed out!

Options
I've been eating a lot of hummus over the past few months because it is so low calorie, delicious, and I can make enough for the whole week at the same time. However, I've just reached the point where I don't want anymore for awhile. I need some filling lunch ideas in the 300-400 calorie range.

They also have to be very fast and easy. I have 11 month old quadruplets and don't have much time to fix meals or eat them. :)

Thanks for your help!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    salad? buy a bag of mixed leaves & boil a load of eggs at the start of the week and then throw in some lean meat and a bit of salad cream each day!
  • boys4rmine
    Options
    some lunch options I have done are:
    -tuna with cut up pickles and a little mayo put on rice cakes
    -refried beans topped with salsa topped with a little bit of cheese (eaten on it's own or with a few rice crackers)
    -salad is always my choice to take to school (I'm a K teacher)
    -homemade soup (homemade butternut apple squash is my new fav) And with soup you can make and freeze in individual containers :)
    -same as above I also do a huge SLOWCOOKER pot of chili :) super simple to throw together and then put in small containers for easy defrost and heat up meal)

hope this helps...cause seriously 11mon old quadruplets????? You are super mamma!
  • pankybinky
    Options
    Hi!..Wow, you must be VERY busy with quadruplets..fair play to you!. I found this recipe last week and I've made it for lunch & dinner..it's very simple and uses cupboard ingredients:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4803/spaghetti-with-tuna-capers-and-chilli

I just changed the portion size of the pasta and it was quite low in calories.

I also like pittas filled with prawns, salad leaves and home-made low fat Marie Rose sauce. Or some sardines/mackerel in tomato sauce mashed up on some toast.
    As Boys4rmine says, homemade soup is great and you can add some pulses to get more fibre & fill you up.

This is a great thread, can't wait to get some ideas!
  • thickmomma0519
    Options
    you could always do a sandwich with some sort of vegetable i.e. raw carrots or brocolli. Just limit what you pile on it. Also I highly recommend special k protein bars and shakes. They actually taste like their digestible. I have 3 small kids myself and I am constantly on the move.:ohwell:
  • Elizabeth_M
    Elizabeth_M Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I get a huge whole-wheat pita - not the name brand ones - those are saturated with fat and calories. I get the big, flat ones like Byblos. Make our own pizza sauce, using crushed tomatoes, a little bit of olive oil and some spices. Lots of veggies, and measure out 1-2 ounces of mozz cheese. It works out to about 300 calories, maybe a little more. It's huge and delicious, and I don't feel deprived. I make one to eat then and then another for the next day to re-heat.

Ok, and quadruplets? Kudos to you - I am sure you are kept super busy! :)
  • soozy84
    soozy84 Posts: 118
    Options
    I normally have the following lunches. Gets a bit repetitive but I know the cal count in each so tend to stick to them. Always looking for new ideas though.

A small bowl of homemade vegetable soup and 3-4 low calorie crackers (25cals each) with light philly cheese and a scraping of chutney or some roasted veg. I also have a yoghurt. Doesn't take much effort and it's tasty.

Prawn salad - for the salad I use 1/2 bag of mixed salad with cherry tomatoes and spring onion. I make a dressing with some extra light mayo, a bit of ketchup, a dash of worcestershire sauce and a drop of lemon juice.

Goat's cheese salad. Same salad as above but I make an olive oil, balsamic vinegar and lime juice dressing. I normally chuck some pine nuts in too.

Smoked ham and mature cheddar cheese sandwich (low cal bread - 50 cals a slice). Sometimes put some branston pickle on it too. Normally have a packet of low cal crisps and a diet coke too.

4 crackers with philly cheese & chutney, a few olives, 2 slices of prosciutto and random veg sticks (normally peppers and carrots)
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    I make a lot of homemade soups or tuna salad sandwich made with light mayo and cucumber.

I also have cooked chicken breast strips on hand and I make wraps with that, tzatziki, cucumber and lettuce with cayene pepper on it.
  • roro73
    roro73 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I buy a rotisserie chicken at the beginning of the week. The first day I usually just eat a breast & some veggies..yum! The rest of the week i use it for salads, quesadillas, tacos, soup & homemade pizzas. All using low cal, whole wheat ingredients. It's so versatile & cheap...at SAMs club they're only $5.
  • PDVanG
    PDVanG Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I agree with the tuna people... Fantastically low cal if you limit the mayo. The pizzas sound great, too!