Ever thought you would never be able to do a triathlon?

Options
Sprint Triathlons are very doable!! Here is the breakdown:
1/4 mile swim(400 yards)
12.4 mile bike ride
5k (3.1 mile) run

(usually a 3 hour cutoff time, most are done in 1.5 hours)

Crosstraining for a triathlon is less stressful on your body than running alone. So if you've mastered the Couch to 5k and need a new challenge, Sprint Triathlon's may be for you. For me they are fun because I am changing up my workouts all the time, i get bored easily so if I don't feel like running that day i can go for a ride or a swim instead.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=116

Replies

• rinalynn
    rinalynn Posts: 87
    Options
    I just signed on, I am going to get up every morning at 5 am and do this!! Thanks for the motivation:smile:
  • leann_m_olson
    leann_m_olson Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Not sure where you swim at but you will find that the other swimmers are probably also training for a triathlon. If you can find one close to you to go watch, it will add to your motivation, they are fun to watch but it will make you want to tri one! :smile:
  • rinalynn
    rinalynn Posts: 87
    Options
    My sister lives on a lake I an not sure if anyone swims it other then the marked off area I will have to ask her.
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have been doing Sprint Tri's together for the past 8 months. I love them. We have a sprint coming up at the end of the month and then we will be doing our first olympic distance tri in July! :heart:
  • leann_m_olson
    Options
    My husband and I have been doing Sprint Tri's together for the past 8 months. I love them. We have a sprint coming up at the end of the month and then we will be doing our first olympic distance tri in July! :heart:
    my husband does them too, it's nice to do them together but it does get expensive. Over the last 6 years we have probably done around 8-10 sprints and 1 olympic(Chicago). They are addicting.
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    my husband does them too, it's nice to do them together but it does get expensive. Over the last 6 years we have probably done around 8-10 sprints and 1 olympic(Chicago). They are addicting.

Yeah, the one I just signed us up for was $70 each. and ....I kinda have a workout clothes addiction, and I have to buy a new outfit for every race that I do :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: so that makes it even more expensive!!!!
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    They are awesome! I did a 600yd swim/ 13 mile bike/ 5K run last weekend and came in 3rd in my Age group! :bigsmile:

Signed up for an Olympic distance next month! They are addictive! :drinker:
  • leann_m_olson
    Options
    They are awesome! I did a 600yd swim/ 13 mile bike/ 5K run last weekend and came in 3rd in my Age group! :bigsmile:

Signed up for an Olympic distance next month! They are addictive! :drinker:

i've finished 3rd in my age group a couple times but then i had a hip injury and now i have a shoulder injury, just expecting to finish the first one of the season on June 27.
  • DaniNei
    DaniNei Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Just replying so I can come back to read it later.
  • leann_m_olson
    Options
    Just replying so I can come back to read it later.

Dani, I see one of your goals is to run a marathon. Sprint Triathlon's take less training time, you may want to tri one :happy: