Mantras, binges & (lack of) self control

Options
What's your weight loss mantra(s)?

I'm wanting a mantra. Something that gives me a conscious feeling of challenge, and helps me keep in mind that I WANT to lose weight. And that that is directly connected to learning self-control at the times when self-control isn't even a concept to me. =\

Any tips for this issue would be greatly appreciated as well. My binges occur when my mind is totally lost and I absolutely feel powerless over it and all goes to hell. I don't know how to stay inspired when my brain is going on autopilot like some madman who truly can't stop to think!

((My backstory: For the past couple months I've been yo-yoing a bit, slowly but surely getting back on the healthy track.

However, I tend to run into a bad binge at least once a week. When I say binge, I mean binge. Last week it happened multiple times.

I don't starve myself of sweets when i aim to eat healthy, but I have a hard time controlling myself and sometimes have an easier time just not eating any whatsoever. Either way, though, with my history, I run into binges over and over again.))

Replies

• ParisArkw
    Options
    Like, the more I ****ing try to lose weight, the more this force comes on me and is like "Nooo, roooarrrr, eat what you wantt!!"

=\
  • cupboard_stalker
    cupboard_stalker Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have exactly the same problem! I aim to eat a good balance, but there are times when it all goes out the window and all i want is sugar and carbs and fat and wine...and in vast quantities! It does feel like there is no control, i totally understand what you mean about "forgetting" that you WANT to lose weight at those times.

There are so many mantras out there, i'm sure this thread will be full of them before the day is out, i just wanted to say that it doesn't have to be a mantra, it could be an affirmation that you make up yourself. It has to be something that pushes your buttons to really shock you out of the mind-set of overeating, so make it more personal by making your own.

All you really need to do is think about why you want to lose weight, what it means to you, what your end goal is going to be and how you will feel when you get there.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    "I am in control. I decide what goes in my mouth. I will conquer this!"
  • BlaireV
    BlaireV Posts: 137
    Options
    I am a recovering binge eater and I still have days where I just have to lock myself in my room out of fear that I will devour the entire fridge (and pantry). What has worked for me is to plan what I'm going to eat a day ahead, and try to stick to it as much as possible. I also have to remind myself of what I want to achieve on a daily basis. Every time I want to binge, I just tell myself that binging isn't going to make me feel any better, it's only going to make me feel miserable afterwards. I've lost 28 lbs (still need to lose another 22) and I've done so by reminding myself constantly of where I want to be, and where I never want to be again. I will never allow myself to be fat ever again, and that does it for me. Find motivation within yourself and you can do this! Best of luck x
  • ChefSuzzieQ
    Options
    Nothing tastes as good as fit feels.

I also saw this cute thing on Pinterest. You take two glasses or jar and you get some of those colored stones or marbles. One you label "ponds to lose" the other "pounds lost" You put how many stones or marbles for each pound you want to lose in the one jar and as you lose them you move them over so you have a nice visual of you progress.

Maybe if you put something like that in you kitchen it would deter you from going on a binge. You wouldn't even necessarily have to label them. You could use two different sizes or shapes and put them on a pretty platter or something. Then you would know what is was and a guest might not necessarily, they would just think you had some cute decor.
  • nicshaw95
    nicshaw95 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    My story is not similar to you, but I have a saying that is helping me stay strong through months of continual pain that has disrupted my job, my personal life and my mental strength.
    Here it is: Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.
    It reminds me that was all have to deal with pain, emotional and physical, in our life, it's how we deal with it that makes us who we are.
  • sirihermine
    sirihermine Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I used to have mantras written down and taped on my fridge during my very bulimic days:
    "you ARE in control" "You've come to far to take orders from a cookie" "just say no" and stuff like that.

It never really did help though, the only thing that helped was eating big enough portion sizes to every meal, and stop to think about starving myself to get rid of the cravings. It took a few years (8 to be excact) to get me to the point where I dared to eat enough for my body, because like you I thought that I was better off not eating... I was always so scared of loosing control once I started eating, it was better to stay clear of food alltogether... But then again, that lead to binges... and I stopped eating... Yeah, bad circle :)

So to make a long story short, to beat the binges you need to eat enough!!! If you're scared of bingeing when you're eating, then you're not eating enough, or often enough.
  • ParisArkw
    Options
    I have exactly the same problem! I aim to eat a good balance, but there are times when it all goes out the window and all i want is sugar and carbs and fat and wine...and in vast quantities! It does feel like there is no control, i totally understand what you mean about "forgetting" that you WANT to lose weight at those times.

There are so many mantras out there, i'm sure this thread will be full of them before the day is out, i just wanted to say that it doesn't have to be a mantra, it could be an affirmation that you make up yourself. It has to be something that pushes your buttons to really shock you out of the mind-set of overeating, so make it more personal by making your own.

All you really need to do is think about why you want to lose weight, what it means to you, what your end goal is going to be and how you will feel when you get there.
    Very, very, very well said. Thank you so much for the reply, it's very encouraging. Emotional to read, in this little pit that I'm going through. But helping me get closer to solving the problem. =)
  • ParisArkw
    Options
    I am a recovering binge eater and I still have days where I just have to lock myself in my room out of fear that I will devour the entire fridge (and pantry). What has worked for me is to plan what I'm going to eat a day ahead, and try to stick to it as much as possible. I also have to remind myself of what I want to achieve on a daily basis. Every time I want to binge, I just tell myself that binging isn't going to make me feel any better, it's only going to make me feel miserable afterwards. I've lost 28 lbs (still need to lose another 22) and I've done so by reminding myself constantly of where I want to be, and where I never want to be again. I will never allow myself to be fat ever again, and that does it for me. Find motivation within yourself and you can do this! Best of luck x
    Thank you as well. I can't express how much I appreciate your reply. It is very helpful.
  • ParisArkw
    Options
    Nothing tastes as good as fit feels.

I also saw this cute thing on Pinterest. You take two glasses or jar and you get some of those colored stones or marbles. One you label "ponds to lose" the other "pounds lost" You put how many stones or marbles for each pound you want to lose in the one jar and as you lose them you move them over so you have a nice visual of you progress.

Maybe if you put something like that in you kitchen it would deter you from going on a binge. You wouldn't even necessarily have to label them. You could use two different sizes or shapes and put them on a pretty platter or something. Then you would know what is was and a guest might not necessarily, they would just think you had some cute decor.
    That's such a fun visual idea!!! I am going to do this! And I'm gonna put it together like right now! Such a fun sounding reminder. =) thank you
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    ~ Always remember what you consume in 10 min .... can take month's to lose ! Nothing can feel better than being able to say " I'll have a bite ... and that's enough ". We crave certain bad foods from our emotional being ... but in reality our bodies actually crave nutrients in any form it can get.

Most binge eating is connected to some type of an emotional issue unsolved. It's best to seek professional help or at the least ... do some research on why we eat out of control. It has been said that while on a " binge " ... it is close to an out of body experience ... there is no control ... the thought process is gone. In order to prevent that from happening one must find foods that they love and crave ... that are healthy and nutritious. I know that sounds easy to say ... but the fact is once you begin making small steps towards replacing " bad " with " good " choices ... your cravings will dissolve.

Get a notebook and draw a line down the middle of the page. Put a date on the left side and list how you feel for 24 hours while eating smart and putting your health first. On the right side .. the next time you lose control .... put the date on top and list how you feel during and after that binge. Sometimes writing things down and then seeing it on a regular basis is enough of a wake up call to make us change. But be truthful and honest when doing this ... only you should be reading and writing this down for your own benefit. Keep that paper in a visual place where you can see it daily .... put sticky notes on your mirrors .. fridge .. counters ... etc. Those sticky notes should be powerful statements that will make an impact on how your day will go. Examples :

" I got this ! "
    " I can do this ! "
    " One day at a time "
    " I feel Amazing ! "
    " Everyday can be a good day ! "

I think you get the idea ... I hope these suggestions help you. I wish you all the best in your journey to a better, healthier lifestyle ! :smile:
  • fiftyfrumpyfat
    Options
    I can closely relate to original post, but first I want to say WOW and thanks to all the replies - what insightful wisdom, and honest shared experiences are here on MFP.
    My binging occurs when I chose to lose control - I want to blank out feelings I don't chose to deal with. I am trying to be more aware of this and try to reflect on what the 'too hard feelings/memories/fears' are. I do eat healthily, and can binge on almonds or nectarines but chocolate is what I crave - to achieve blank out - despite nutrition needs being met.
    I think until I address the underlying issues it will continue to be a struggle, I am becoming stronger and don't expect a lifetime habit to be overcome overnight.
    Its great to hear what works for others, and I will adopt some of the clever suggestions in hope it makes a difference for me too.
    cheers
  • BlaireV
    BlaireV Posts: 137
    Options
    I'm glad my post has helped some of you out. Binge eating is really difficult to deal with, and other people who don't know what true binge eating is like, don't seem to understand. I hope (and believe) we can all overcome it with strength and the right mindset :) x
  • shsutton
    Options
    me too thanks
  • shsutton
    Options
    :smile: