Can I lose fat and gain muscle at the same time?

Options

Replies

• robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    You said Scooby says "a SMALL DEFICIT".

Why are you set at 2 lbs per week?
    change it to half a pound and you'll have a chance at achieving what you are trying to do.

1000 calories is NOT small...250 or less is.

In general it is VERY difficult to gain muscle on a deficit, and that's why people straight up say you can't.
    But I believe with a TINY deficit, plenty of protein, eating clean, and lifting hard, then it is somewhat possible.

(or what Eric just said)
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    You can gain strength without gaining an ounce of muscle, too. So don't necessarily assume that strength = mass.
    I have gained SOME muscle mass weight lifting over the past 5 months while dieting. Not very much.
  • patricia909
    patricia909 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Pronoiac
    Pronoiac Posts: 304
    Options
    Bump
  • mrFerris
    mrFerris Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    It is possible that you have misunderstood the process. I don't believe it is possible to lose weight at the same time as gain muscle but it is possible to lose fat at the same time as build/ gain muscle. However because muscle is more dense than fat it is more likely that the scale with read the same or even higher.
  • ahealthy4u
    ahealthy4u Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    I say yes. I've done it over the past year. I do a lot of cardio(run/bike) and a little strength training. I also eat back almost all of my exercise calories, and not always with the best food choices. That said, i keep watching my body fat percentage drop while the scale number slowly marches south. Incidentally, my muscle gains seem to be entirely in my legs, which comes from lots of strength rides in spin class. Interval training will help with the fat burns. My weight has basically stayed in a 5lb range while my body fat has decreased 6% in the last year, and my running pants are tight in the thighs!
  • portgordon
    Options
    Seems to be working for me so far over a period of a couple of months. I've been getting more strict and better at it as I go with the help of MFP.

The key thing i have to remember when im looking at my stats is the difference between weight loss and fat loss. I've set my targets to lose 1lb per week and am adjusting my diet to meet the plan MFP has given me for that goal. My daily allowance is 1800 calories and i'm normally on or slightly under that, I'm keeping a nice balanced diet which is reasonably healthy and keeping my protein intake on the high side of what MFP suggests.

I am not losing 1lb per week, but then I don't care, as my main goal is not actually weight loss, its fat loss and gain a bit of lean muscle / a bit more of a toned look. I was 85.5kg and i'm currently 83.8kg my goal being 81kg. I wont care if I dont reach 81kg as long as i lose a bit of body fat replaced by lean muscle, which may actually end up increasing my weight given that muscle weighs more than fat. Currently its working, im slimming but also gaining some muscle.

I understand that for more serious Muscle building for large size it's maybe not an option or possibility, but for a subtle change swapping some fat out for some lean muscle, with the right diet and excersice plan and depending on the build and the person etc.. I reckon its possible to lose fat (not weight) and gain muscle.

Certainly working for me and I'm happy with my progress, also just my personal view.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    It is possible that you have misunderstood the process. I don't believe it is possible to lose weight at the same time as gain muscle but it is possible to lose fat at the same time as build/ gain muscle. However because muscle is more dense than fat it is more likely that the scale with read the same or even higher.

It will stay static, sure - if you are only losing 2-4 ounces of fat per week.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Whether or not YOU PERSONALLY can will depend on your metabolism. But if you look at the biochemistry, then yes, it is completely possible, and many people including myself have done it. It is more likely to work if you are very obese to start with.

The reason is that not all calories are created equal. The chemical reaction that uses carbs for energy in your body works *completely* differently from the chemical reaction that burns fat & protein for energy. The chemical reaction that burns fatty acids also requires amino acids (protein). It's roughly three parts fat to one part protein in order to keep the reaction going. Kind of like the way a fire requires both fuel and oxygen in order to burn. So, many people who are trying to burn fat don't eat enough protein, and their bodies harvest the needed protein from their muscles, and that's why they lose both fat and muscle. The solution is to make sure & eat enough protein.

Here's an *extremely oversimplified* breakdown, just to give you an idea:

Say I’m eating 2000 calories and my activity level is burning 2200 calories.
    I eat 200 calories in carbs. I eat 600 calories in fat. I eat 1200 calories in protein.

My body burns the 200 calories of carbs right away. Most people's bodies prefer to get their energy from carbs. OK, so our total is now:
    Remainder of what I’ve eaten: 600 fat, 1200 protein.
    Energy still needed: 2000 calories.
    My body burns the 600 calories of fat, and because the chemical reaction is 3 parts fat to 1 part protein, that also burns 200 calories of protein. So now we’ve burned a total of 1000 calories.
    Remainder of what I’ve eaten: 1000 protein.
    Energy still needed: 1200 calories.
    Here’s where it gets interesting: all of my remaining calories were protein, but protein can’t be burned for energy all by itself. My body needs to harvest fat from its stores in order to burn the protein I've eaten.
    So the next calories I burn (again, at three parts fat to one part protein) are 900 calories of stored fat and 300 calories of protein.
    Remainder of what I’ve eaten: 700 protein.
    Energy still needed: 0.
    So we’ve now reached our 2200 calories of energy… but wait, if you look at the protein, we ate 1200 calories of protein but only burned 500 of them.
    The rest of the protein can be used to repair and build muscle (and hair, fingernails, etc; protein is used for many things).
    But this is how you can eat a calorie deficit, lose fat, and build muscle all at the same time.

Of course, as I say, this is very oversimplified. Just like any fire requires a spark to start it, any chemical reaction in your body requires hormones & chemical catalysts to start the reaction. Things like insulin, that instruct your cells about whether to store or burn calories at various times. And everyone's body is going to be different with regards to how efficiently it uses different chemicals & nutrients. That's why some people are perfectly healthy Vegans, and some people are perfectly healthy Paleo eaters. There is no one-size-fits-all when it comes to the wide variety in the human genome.

For example, I have a condition called "insulin resistance" or "hyperinsulinemia" which means that my body is lousy at processing carbs. It never mattered whether I ate a calorie deficit or not, I constantly gained weight as long as I included carbs in my diet. So frustrating! People always assumed I was cheating on my diet. When I was finally diagnosed, and lowered my carbs to 25-30g per day, suddenly that did the trick and I've been losing steadily ever since, for the first time in my life. My doctor does a BMI test every month, and he has told me that in addition to losing a lot of fat & water weight, I have also gained a small amount of muscle. I'm certainly not going to bulk up while also losing fat, but gaining muscle is not impossible if you look at the biochemistry.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Usually, those claiming this is possible are selling something.
    Just advance the minefield carefully.
  • gumby101ca
    gumby101ca Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    fat can be lost weekly , muscle takes more time to build , but yes you can build and lose at the same time
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    This argument always interests me. I'm always one to go along with the science. It makes sense to me if you're losing weight you can't also be gaining muscle.

But here's what confuses me personally. I'm stronger. I know that I am. I don't measure myself but my chest, shoulders, back, arms.. I'm seeing pretty good results all over. (Yes I just started working my legs too don't yell at me!) I get that most of that is probably just fat coming off so I look more defined.

But if I'm not gaining muscle how am I stronger? Especially since I guess I should be losing muscle actually, I'm still in a calorie deficit and losing weight.

Thanks.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    This argument always interests me. I'm always one to go along with the science. It makes sense to me if you're losing weight you can't also be gaining muscle.

But here's what confuses me personally. I'm stronger. I know that I am. I don't measure myself but my chest, shoulders, back, arms.. I'm seeing pretty good results all over. (Yes I just started working my legs too don't yell at me!) I get that most of that is probably just fat coming off so I look more defined.

But if I'm not gaining muscle how am I stronger? Especially since I guess I should be losing muscle actually, I'm still in a calorie deficit and losing weight.

Thanks.

You can condition the muscle you do have, which results in strength or endurance gains without any additional Mass.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    But many people on this site say that you need a calorie deficit to lose weight, and a calorie surplus to build muscle.

Well, losing fat and gaining muscle isn't the same as losing WEIGHT and gaining muscle.

If someone is losing fat and gaining muscle, they might be gaining weight.
  • kekl
    kekl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I don't think you can. I tend to agree with Lyle McDonald on most things.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/adding-muscle-while-losing-fat-qa.html

I'm doing a traditional bulk / cut cycle and I am not an advanced body builder. Basically when you are dieting your body is being given less energy than it needs to survive, so it breaks down fat cells. It can't use the fat to build muscle and it certainly isn't going to use what little calories you are giving it to build muscle.

But I do think you should go for a half pound a week to a pound a week in order to PRESERVE as much muscle as possible.

Also, although, I can't prove it and don't know for sure myself I've heard that Scooby is not a very reliable source.
  • david_swinstead
    david_swinstead Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Wow, what a response. Thanks guys for all the feedback.

Although there's a hell of a lot of info in here that I shall have a proper sift through when I get home this evening, it seems pretty clear that the main bit of advice everyone agrees upon is that there's no way I can do both while I'm losing 2lbs per week, eating 1700 calories.

I will change my goals to lose 1/2lb per week, giving me more calories to eat (and as suggested I will up my protein intake too).
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking, you can lose fat and gain muscle at the same time if you're in one of the below categories;

Obese
    New to resistance training
    Starting resistance training after a long layoff
    Using steroids

Some people may also be able to do it on a cyclical type type like UD 2.0 or Leangains