Vibration Machines

Options
Does anyone have or has used one of the vibration machines? If you have, do they work or just another gimmick? I'm considering buying one as i have knee and back problems as walking some days can be painful. Any insight is greatly appreciated!

Replies

• Elizadolots
    Options
    I'm curious too!
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Probably a bit of a con. Have used them, minor differences, but I reckon that's more to do with the fact that I was exercising where I hadn't before by making myself do the power plate exercises such as squats and tricep dips/plank, that i wouldn't have done otherwise.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    The theory behind the vibration machines is that the vibration causes you to use your stabilizer muscles more during weight training. My opinion is that if you use free weights, you're working these stabilizer muscles enough and unless you're exercising for sports, its a waist of money.
  • koulamara
    koulamara Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am not an expert but if you have knee and back problems DO NOT use vibration machine. A year ago I purchased a set of 30 visits of Power - Plate in a gym close to my previous job. I didn't seen much difference and also I "gained" a pain in my hip and my left knee for almost a year (and I didn't have any problems before that).
  • sblack91
    Options
    Hey! So my mum has a power plate (she is 51 and in very good shape for her age). Anyway, she swears by it. I've tried it once or twice before when I go visit her and it is definitely tough! There are different positions you can do in order to strengthen different parts of your body.
    I can tell you personally that I found my muscles pretty stiff the next day, so I feel like if you stick with it you will probably get some good results if you're trying to tone up.
    It is definitely harder than it looks though! hope this helps
  • sblack91
    Options
    Also she has problems with her hip from an old injury and says the power plate hasn't caused it to worsen, but it probably depends on the individual
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have or has used one of the vibration machines? If you have, do they work or just another gimmick? I'm considering buying one as i have knee and back problems as walking some days can be painful. Any insight is greatly appreciated!

Considering your knee and back issues, I think this question should be asked of a health professional. That said, I've been through physical therapy way too many times, and have yet to see this device used.
  • Trinity1982
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!! i'll def ask my doctor next time I see him as to the pro's and con's with my back and knee specific issues.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    gimmick. /thread