How many over on Spike Days?

Options
2»

Replies

• MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Today is my first spike day since starting MFP in January. I am unsure how much to go over though? I "saved" 150 calories from yesterday for today, but ate almost all my calories every other day. How many do you think is good to go over? How many do you go over if you track?
    I could not progress without my cheat day, or as we prefer to say in the scientific community: "RE-FEED THERAPY"
    I set aside one day per week where I eat about twice my daily goal, and once a month I set a day for a total food orgy where I eat like a man going to the electric chair - a 24 hour binge.

I need that or none of this is worth it. And no, I do not track it - :glasses:

It's nice knowing I am never more than 7 days from eating anything I desire in whatever quantity I want.
    I'd go nuts otherwise and probably quit.
    The food Nazi's have argued with me the whole way, but my results speak for itself.

Life is to be lived, so ENJOY!
  • bitterbrownie
    Options
    what effect do spike days have on people on maintenance?
  • TheAncientMariner
    TheAncientMariner Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    According the the book and the calculations contained within it, it should be twice your RMR/BMR. The science behind it basically means replenishing your glycogen levels so that your body can use them throughout the week if you are following the program AS DESIGNED. If you are modifying it, I'm certain it works, but for the use of the program as is, it's 2x RMR/BMR for spike days. The past couple of weeks I have eaten nearly 4700 calories on spike days and have lost no less than 2.5 lbs each week. Learn the science and WHY it's asking you to do that, don't just blindly go into it if you are going to follow the Spike diet as designed (not saying that you haven't, but for those that may have not studied up on it properly). Good luck!
  • DoubleE615312
    DoubleE615312 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I am usually 500-1000 over. This past week it was 1000, scale didn't move, but yet it hasn't moved in a week.
  • BelleEns
    BelleEns Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I've only just discovered spike days (am now on maintenance) and they're brilliant! It really keeps e going during the week to know I have that one day a week where I don't think about it. So, you see, that chocolate fondue I had on Saturday night was actually good for weight loss. :glasses:
  • 5pmsomewherenow
    5pmsomewherenow Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    When I am planning for a spike day, I try to still keep the foods as healthy as possible -- usually it's a pasta day for me, or extra lean protien, like Laura's Lean sirloin steak -- say a 10oz portion, and a large baked sweet potato -- something like that. Drinking water is key on a spike day -- don't forget to hydrate continually. I also usually have WINE on my spike day each week. I do exercise (usually walk for an hour) on SPIKE Sunday.

I also have one REST day each week -- where I try to keep the calories at the limit, but don't have any exercise beyond everyday activity.
  • Guitarjon
    Guitarjon Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    On Saturday I grudgingly went to an all you can eat. I over ate but did stick to relativly healthy foods, mainly lots of protien foods. Although I enjoyed it I felt bad about it. I went over by about 1500 calories. Was pretty shocked about it but I had done quite a bit of exercise that weekend.

Someone has mentioned they say once a week and ideally the same day. I tend to just have a 'spike' day when ever I' know I'm going out with freinds for a meal or something so I'm not regular. Obviously if I go out a couple of times a week then one of those days is a healthy meal and I think very carefully about my choices. So how important is it that I might have a Spike dat on Saturday and not have one for a couple of weeks and maybe have on on the Friday almost two weeks later?
  • Virginia90
    Virginia90 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Well I'm a believer! I did end up doing a little exercise last night, so I ended the day a little over 700 over my goal. I weighed a few minutes ago, and I'm DOWN 2 pounds!! :happy: *happy dance*
  • alabughosh
    alabughosh Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Glad to see you're a believer now and I'm glad to hear you are having a similar experience. Good for you and yay for spike days! :drinker: