The "negative calorie" foods…?

Options
First of, do any of y'all even believe in the "negative calorie" food theory or whatever it is? For what I've looked at online (not sure if what I looked was accurate) it seems plausible enough. So say if it were true, would we even bother to add those calories? I mean if our body naturally burns it away why would we add it up???

Replies

• amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Bump ?
  • Shyn6409
    Options
    I'm a believer! I like to eat negative calorie foods along with most meals. My favs are grapefruit and broccoli. I figure that they will not only work themselves off during digestion, but help out with burning the calories from other foods I eat with them as well. I might be crazy but that's the way I think lol. I always count negative calorie foods. The way Ive always looked at it was that when MFP calculated our calorie goal, they plugged in our BMR and that includes to calories we burn digesting food.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I'm a believer! I like to eat negative calorie foods along with most meals. My favs are grapefruit and broccoli. I figure that they will not only work themselves off during digestion, but help out with burning the calories from other foods I eat with them as well. I might be crazy but that's the way I think lol. I always count negative calorie foods. The way Ive always looked at it was that when MFP calculated our calorie goal, they plugged in our BMR and that includes to calories we burn digesting food.

Are you aware you just contradicted yourself?!
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    The only one I believe in is ice water--from what I've read--your body has to warm it up.
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options

Are you aware you just contradicted yourself?!

I believe 'negative calorie foods' are quite possible in some alternate antimatter universe.
  • Shyn6409
    Options
    How did I contradict myself? Please clarify....maybe some don't understand the concept
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    ...they will not only work themselves off during digestion, but help out with burning the calories from other foods I eat with them as well.
    our BMR and that includes to calories we burn digesting food.

Your BMR has already taken the TDEF into account.
  • vilardip1
    Options
    negative calorie foods are non-existant...because your daily BMR already takes into account calories burned through digestion, cell growth, etc., there is no way to say that calories from celery, for example, are negative because they take more calories to digest than the food provides...make sure you log everything you can on MFP, and you will notice that the only "negative" calorie thing one can consume, as stated above, is ice water because your body needs to bring it up to temperature
  • mommymeg2
    mommymeg2 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I don't believe they exist. Of course there are better options of food to assist you in your healthy lifestyle but "negative calories", no.
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I don't subscribe to it. Even though I'll pretty much do anything to lose weight (as evidenced by years of fad dieting), if there was one food that actually had negative calories, I wouldn't want to eat only it. I need variety. Plus, doesn't all food need to have nutrition of some sort?

food   /fud/ Show Spelled[food] Show IPA
    noun
    1. any nourishing substance that is eaten, drunk, or otherwise taken into the body to sustain life, provide energy, promote growth, etc.
    2. more or less solid nourishment, as distinguished from liquids.
    3. a particular kind of solid nourishment: a breakfast food; dog food.
    4. whatever supplies nourishment to organisms: plant food.
    5. anything serving for consumption or use: food for thought.