Calorie dense foods?

Options
I have been on here awhile but am only really getting completely serious about eating completely clean in the last week or so.
The only problem I have is with my food I am struggling to even reach 1200 calories, especially with all the exercise I do most days.

For example :
brekkie : oatmeal with peanut butter, lunch is chicken with either cooked veggies (days i'm at work with a microwave) or chicken with salad (days i'm at school), arvo tea is fruit salad and yogurt and dinner is usually either steak or chicken or turkey with homemade chips and either salad or veggies.
I feel rather full after eating this but it is only about 1000 or so calories, and I know I need WAAAY more calories than that.

I used to never eat exercise calories but slowed my metabolism to a halt and now I eat them I lose consistently, I'm scared if I don't eat enough I'm gonna stop losing again. Plus I need FUEL!

Replies

• MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    It is best to eat clean, but eat to goal daily no matter what.
    A McD cheeseburger should do the trick even though is not clean eating.
    Seriously, eating a few "bad" foods and reaching goals beats clean foods that fall short of your daily calorie goal. Your progress is stifled by not eating to goal.
    That's just more self-sabotage.
    Eat to goal no matter what; your body does not know or care the reasons why.
    It's just registering the too large deficit, and while you may lose weight for a season, what will be the quality of the weight loss, and does it lead to optimal health?
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Seriously, eating a few "bad" foods and reaching goals beats clean foods that fall short of your calories goals.
    It's just registering the deficit, and while you may lose weight, what will be the quality of the weight loss, and does it lead to optimal health?

Yucky, I ain't eating no cheezeburger! Fast food makes me feel sick now.
    Is there any calorie dense foods that are healthier?
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    avacados, pistacios, peanut butter, any kind of nut really. :happy:
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Seriously, eating a few "bad" foods and reaching goals beats clean foods that fall short of your calories goals.
    It's just registering the deficit, and while you may lose weight, what will be the quality of the weight loss, and does it lead to optimal health?

Some snack on nuts or whole grain breads.
    Some eat bacon, a snickers candy bar or whatever else you consider a treat.
    Use this not as a licelse to eat bad, but to reward yourself with something you enjoy.

Life is to be lived.
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options

Some snack on nuts or whole grain breads.
    Some eat bacon, a snickers candy bar or whatever else you consider a treat.
    Use this not as a licelse to eat bad, but to reward yourself with something you enjoy.

Life is to be lived.

yum, bacon!
    I know life is to be lived, just most junk food literally makes me throw up now I swear I've like made myself intolerant to some of it :P
  • jennilovesryan
    Options
    drink a smoothie or two or some almond milk during the day. i have this same issue as i love to cook and love veggies so i tend to be under. just one cup of vanilla almond milk has 90 calories but it's still good for you.
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    drink a smoothie or two or some almond milk during the day. i have this same issue as i love to cook and love veggies so i tend to be under. just one cup of vanilla almond milk has 90 calories but it's still good for you.

what would you recommend for smoothies? (:
  • dport7
    dport7 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. I think its a good thing. i'm eating 100% clean and struggling to get 1200 cal. Thats ok, I'm working out, drinking plenty of water, getting good rest and loosing weight.

So if you eating right, felling good, and full after meals, keep doing what your doing. that is what works best for you.

Enjoy!
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    Beef always has a ton of calories. Nuts or peanut butter, EVOO, some cereal like shredded wheat, protein bars, protein shakes, cheeses, some deli meats, pasta, potatoes.

I agree...dont go eating a ton of chocolate or fast food. McDonald's, really???. Have you seen food inc? Just ick! But I think if you want a little dessert, and I mean a small portion, that's okay I suppose.
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    I feel the same way. I think its a good thing. i'm eating 100% clean and struggling to get 1200 cal. Thats ok, I'm working out, drinking plenty of water, getting good rest and loosing weight.

So if you eating right, felling good, and full after meals, keep doing what your doing. that is what works best for you.

Enjoy!

uhh really? because you need 1200 calories for your liver and other organs to function correctly, so as to keep any muscle.... and if you are a guy you should add an extra 300 calories on top of that...
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    Beef always has a ton of calories. Nuts or peanut butter, EVOO, some cereal like shredded wheat, protein bars, protein shakes, cheeses, some deli meats, pasta, potatoes.

I agree...dont go eating a ton of chocolate or fast food. McDonald's, really???. Have you seen food inc? Just ick! But I think if you want a little dessert, and I mean a small portion, that's okay I suppose.

what is EVOO? :S
  • xTenaciousJx
    Options
    EVOO= extra virgin olive oil =D

• marlene39
    marlene39 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm not so sure about eating all your calories..If I would have done that yesterday I would have eaten 2290. That's alot of calories! I'd have to believe I would gain weight.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options

EVOO = extra virgin olive oil :smile:
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    I'm not so sure about eating all your calories..If I would have done that yesterday I would have eaten 2290. That's alot of calories! I'd have to believe I would gain weight.

:grumble: no, you wouldn't... MFP already has a deficit built in... try and NET at least 1200-1500
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options

EVOO = extra virgin olive oil :smile:

Ta (: sorry, I'm a bit slow sometimes!
  • bradzahringer
    Options
    I drink a protein shake with milk. I try to do 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight. That has always been my rule since I do alot of lifting. It is calorie dense with the milk and protein powder and still fairly clean compared to some foods.
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    I drink a protein shake with milk. I try to do 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight. That has always been my rule since I do alot of lifting. It is calorie dense with the milk and protein powder and still fairly clean compared to some foods.

Yeah, I try for 100 grams a day.
    What would you recommend? I just ran out of my protein shake last night and let me just tell you now... that stuff tastes NASTY!
  • vilardip1
    Options
    look for some higher fat foods...because it has the greatest calorie per gram of any of your calorie sources, a tablespoon of peanut butter, some avocado, or veggies dipped in ranch dressing could do the trick
  • donna9089
    Options
    I have the same issue. I have a VERY hard time meeting my calorie/carb/protein goals on the 5 days I work out. I am usually always 2-300 calories short. I had a BMR test done and the result was over 1700 calories. There is no way I can eat that amount let alone add in the exercise calories. I am using MFP's baseline of 1200 and still having problems. :cry: