What has MFP taught you?

Options
Since i started out on here i have learnt how important exercise is to me. I don't workout in the gym but i walk the dog twice daily and also have my young horse that i muck out etc everyday. I suffer from regular migraines and take perscription meds for them. I still drag myself out when suffering from a migraine and i find the fresh air does help. Health wise since losing 2 stone i no longer need lanzaprozole (acid reflux) and also coedine (back problems) I still have 11/2 stone to go, but thankyou MFP, i am feeling good!

Replies

• porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    What a wonderful thread - Julie that is great you're feeling so much better. Migraines are awful so I do feel for you.

Personally, I've learned - finally - that this is a life long 'thing'. I am no longer dieting but I am looking after myself. I am fitter, healthier and overall in control. MFP has helped me realise the amount of calories thats right for my height and I find tracking really helps.
    I have a way to go till goal, but am happier in my skin generally.. more work to be done till I am completely happy though. lol
  • Julie2402
    Options
    Hi Porffor, you have done so well losing 46lb! I am looking forward to my next 20lbs coming off. Your horse is lovely, mine is being broken in this year and i can't wait to be in the saddle. Take care. x
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Thanks Julie - I've been stalled a bit recently that yo-yo of a few lbs is getting to me now. lol Hopefully it won't be around for long now.

Ahh lovely times backing your horse - my lad (thunder) is a new forest pony, he's 6 this year, and we had our first full year riding last year, I loved it, but must admit we had a few issues at the end of the year - nothing serious but my confidence up and left me, so i'm hoping spring will bring a renew of confidence as well as energy! lol We did ride 10 days ago and it was good so hopefully once the frost has gone we'll be ok. :smile:
  • docHelen
    docHelen Posts: 198
    Options
    You are doing so well Julie. I love having so many positive friends around.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I have learned that everyone is different, and you just have to figure out what works for you. There is no single method that works for everyone all of the time.

Just get up and try something different and give it a few weeks to see how it goes... then if it doesn't work, try something else.

I basically learned that falling off the wagon doesn't mean you can't get back on, and success might take awhile, but it is certainly worth aiming for.
  • pholbert
    pholbert Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I have learned that with a few tools I CAN control my eating habits.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Really it just keeps me honest with what I eat.
  • Skeemer118
    Skeemer118 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I have learned that a lifestyle change doesn't have to be so hard & awful. I can eat right, still enjoy foods I like, exercise & reach goals. MFP has given me the tools to do so & feel confident too. :bigsmile:
  • RachelT14
    RachelT14 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I have learnt i can make better choices and not feel like i am starving. I have learnt even when the scales dont move it doesnt mean nothing is happening and not to give up, this is huge for me as i have always given up before when the scales stop.

And most importantly i have learnt i do not have to eat completely different foods and give up my favourites i just need to change my portion sizes and make a few small adjustments to the type of snacks i eat.
  • kirstyg1980
    Options
    It's taught me that there is way more sugar and sodium in some foods than I ever thought possible :o
  • Lambiii
    Lambiii Posts: 321
    Options
    I've learned how to be more aware of what i am eating, before i could have eaten loads, not knowing i was waaay over doing it! Now if i over do it, my tummy literally can't handle it and i feel ill. so i know when to stop :)

I've also learned its not just me, i use to think, if i start exercising now, like walking or cycling people would judge me, but there's more than me that feels like that, and everyone here is so encouraging and supportive :)
  • emberin
    emberin Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Great thread. I learned that cleaning the bathroom is no substitute for real exercise. I've learned portion control. And I've learned that (surprise to me) I do not know everything and groups and boards are a wonderful learning venue.