30 day shred in conjuction with low carb/Atkins diet??

Options
Hi All!

I am currently on a "lifestyle change" and having been pretty much doing the Atkins diet (low carb) as well as Jillian Michaels' 30 day shred DVD. I'm on Level 1, Day 3 and I am sore beyond BELIEF!!! Must be working...:)

Anyway, my question is, has anyone tried to do the 30 day shred in conjunction with doing a low carb diet? If so, have you seen results quicker? What was your experience? In the past, whenever I did low carb dieting, I always experienced a quick weightloss...so I'm hoping that by doing the DVD in combination with dieting that it will lend itself to more pounds lost than just inches. Anyone?

Replies

• terrellc1
    terrellc1 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I am a low carber and LOVE Jillian Michaels. It, too, makes me quite sore...but it's a good sore. :) Good luck and let us know how you do!
  • sweetz19
    Options
    today will be day 6 of level one 30ds for me and i am just starting on the low carb diet. I am wondering what are some good, simple low carb meals you all are having? i've never done the low carb diet before.
  • dshetter
    Options
    there are a number of sites out there that really focus on low carb diets. the official "Atkins" site has some great recipes. The best thing to remember is to look for carbs everywhere. Many times the "rounding" on the nutrition label will make you think the item is fine. But if you have 4 or 5 items that really round up to one, it could put you in danger.

I am also "low carbing" and I love it. I wish I could reset the "calorie" counter to "carb" counter!
  • Ness8411
    Options
    I love this site, I"m not alone
    I thinking of starting Atkins tomorrow, i'm on day 10 of Jillians and I do aerobics and zumba.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

I am currently on a "lifestyle change" and having been pretty much doing the Atkins diet (low carb) as well as Jillian Michaels' 30 day shred DVD. I'm on Level 1, Day 3 and I am sore beyond BELIEF!!! Must be working...:)

Would be worth doing some extra stretches at the end as I don't think the 30DS ones are really long enough. Pause the DVD and hold each of the stretches for at least 10 seconds.

And, while it's not very low carb-friendly, a glass of milk is great post-workout to prevent next-day aches (there was a TV study on the BBC a few weeks ago using a rubgy team as guinea pigs). When low-carbing I just can't give up my milk so I just make sure I add it into my calculations.
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    How do you find the energy to work out when you eat low carbs ? I don't understand how you can do that ?

I think lots of protein is essential and limiting your carbs is important..... but the low carbs Atkins calls for is really hard to live on when exercising, it's a diet for sloth people..... ones who can't get out of their bed...
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    How do you find the energy to work out when you eat low carbs ? I don't understand how you can do that ?

I think lots of protein is essential and limiting your carbs is important..... but the low carbs Atkins calls for is really hard to live on when exercising, it's a diet for sloth people..... ones who can't get out of their bed...

Depends on what you consider low carbs, really. If you are still eating lots of vegetables and small amounts of wholegrains then you have tonnes of energy (I hit around 50-100g and consider that to be low carb). I agree that very low carbs (eg 20g) makes it more difficult to exercise, but 30DS is only 25 mins, which is fine even with few carbs. It's only when you get into 1hr+ that very low carbs becomes more tiring (just speaking from personal experience).
  • madisons_mummy
    madisons_mummy Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I eat low carb 20-30grams a day and I'm on day 4 of 30DS and I also walk every weekday for 40mins at 4mph. I'm not a sloth doing low carbs...nice generalization. *rollseyes*
  • rdy2sculpt
    Options
    I am ten weeks out from my competition and am on a low carb, high protein diet, basically clean eating and 1400 calories a day for the next two weeks. My workouts are explosive adding in creatine and whey protein. I burn between 550 to 700 regulary because of the complex carbs i eat before noon. I don't believe in Atkins, but it does contribute to weight loss if you want to shred. dont know enough about it in detail, but do know that the processed/refined carbs could affect you negatively in many ways.
  • tabinmaine
    Options
    I eat low carb 20-30grams a day and I'm on day 4 of 30DS and I also walk every weekday for 40mins at 4mph. I'm not a sloth doing low carbs...nice generalization. *rollseyes*

I was not calling you "sloth" or anyone else who does it, I was refering to why the actual diet was created. For very very obese people who could not get out of their beds without a crane.... that's SLOTH, sheesh, relax
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options

Really? That was just offensive. First of all, it is NOT a diet for "sloth people".
    2nd, low carbers have plenty of energy and then some! I have been on 20-25 net carbs for almost a year and somehow, I manage to get my slothenly butt out of bed and go to high-intensity Zumba 3 days a week.
    The first 2-3 days, yes, you are tired and lethargic, but once your body switches from burning carbs for energy to burning FAT for energy, most low-carbers feel like the Energizer Bunny.
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options

Exactly!
  • tabinmaine
    Options

Exactly!

lol. now let me be the one to *roll my eyes* because if you could READ you would see that I was talking about WHY the diet was created, why Dr Atkins made it !! sheesh, read woman !

If you have been low carbing it that long and feel that great than that's wonderful !! I am all for keeping your carbs down and higher intakes of protein ( as I stated above)

If there is nothing wrong with the Atkins diet, why are you so sensitive about it ????
  • madisons_mummy
    madisons_mummy Posts: 169 Member
    Options

Exactly!

lol. now let me be the one to *roll my eyes* because if you could READ you would see that I was talking about WHY the diet was created, why Dr Atkins made it !! sheesh, read woman !

If you have been low carbing it that long and feel that great than that's wonderful !! I am all for keeping your carbs down and higher intakes of protein ( as I stated above)

If there is nothing wrong with the Atkins diet, why are you so sensitive about it ????

We obviously read your post wrong. When I reread it I get what you are saying. It was essentially a diet made for people who quite literally can't get out of bed because they're so fat. Its just the way it was written.

Anyway, we all have different ways of losing weight. The way I'm going about it will be different to other people as I really limit my calories...which is a big no no on here lol but it really works for me :)
  • challengeaccepted
    Options

I've been doing low carb (20g net)for a while and during that time I was going to the gym for an hour a day to lift weights and get some cardio in to warm up. Some days I would also swim for at least 30 minutes. I never felt tired. I did have days when I felt sore but that's from working out. When my gym membership expired I didn't renew it and I've started doing the 30DS and I feel great.

And I am no sloth, thank you.

* I see that you made your "sloth comment" clear. But maybe you should edit the first one, because it does come off as offensive since it's not very clear.
  • tabinmaine
    Options
    The option to "EDIT" is no longer given to me.

I think it's good the way it is, it just creates conversations and keeps people on their toes :wink: lol
  • mom2lakenjj
    Options
    bump
  • dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options

I've been doing low carb (20g net)for a while and during that time I was going to the gym for an hour a day to lift weights and get some cardio in to warm up. Some days I would also swim for at least 30 minutes. I never felt tired. I did have days when I felt sore but that's from working out. When my gym membership expired I didn't renew it and I've started doing the 30DS and I feel great.

And I am no sloth, thank you.

* I see that you made your "sloth comment" clear. But maybe you should edit the first one, because it does come off as offensive since it's not very clear.

Same. I've been doing low carb for 2.5 months. I lift 3 days a week for an hour and run 3 miles 3 of the other 4 days.
  • Skits70
    Skits70 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! I just started the 30 Day Shred too and am trying a low carb approach. I got a cold this week so stopped the DVD as the exercises are too strenuous at the moment but I'm loving the DVD! I have been so sore after and my arms have been shaking during some of the strength workouts. I have felt a change in my body not that it's showing too much on the scale.

I have done Atkins a few times over the years and it's fantastic. I think though maybe not to do the induction while on the 30 day shred because it is fairly difficult at the beginning and you might be too tired. Maybe wait til you're past the induction phase and eating more food to start such a strenuous program. Im just reducing my calories but eating lots of veggies and protein. I've got hard boiled eggs and chicken in the fridge if I get hungry and it's working so far. I lost a kilo this weeks but I'm not sure if that's because Im feeling a bit sick too :(

Keep it up! I love Jillian Michaels and have bought her Ripped in 30 DVD to start after I've done the 30DS. NAT