How much weight to go down a size?

Options
A friend of mine and I were talking and she had heard it takes about 10lbs to change a size say from size 8 to 9. Has anyone heard about this, experienced this?

Replies

• merryscottuk
    Options
    I think it depends how much weight you have to lose. For me, about 5 to 7lbs is a size down. I'm a UK 12 (US 8) and *nearly* a size 10 (US 6) after 5lbs loss.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    It took me 30 lb to get from a 14 to 12, then 20 to get from 12 to 6-8...weird
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine and I were talking and she had heard it takes about 10lbs to change a size say from size 8 to 9. Has anyone heard about this, experienced this?

Actually, I am thinking back to a few years ago when I was 180lbs, I was just about to move into a size 16 UK at the time. By the time I reached my goal of 138lbs, I was into a size 10 UK. It took a loss of 42lbs to reach a size 10 from a 16.

Everybody would be different though, I am sure, especially if you take weight training and muscle into the equation.
  • tpt42087
    tpt42087 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I've heard it's 10lns every size but I'm not sure I know I'm down almost 30lbs and all my jeans areaway to big even with a belt.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Depends on how much weight you have to lose. Also, from a 9 to an 8 isn't really a full size, as odd numbers (in the US anyway) are juniors size. With that said, I changed sizes pretty predictable every 10 pounds (went from 175 lbs/size 14 US to 146 lbs/size 8).
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on not only how much you weigh, but how you carry it as well.
  • missbis
    missbis Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    It took me 5lbs to go from size 16 to size 14.
  • happy_vegan
    happy_vegan Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    30 pounds to go from US 14 to US 10.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You can lose a dress size without losing weight. There is no magical weight that will say you will lose a size at this mark. It depends how your body carries and loses weight.

The biggest determinant is how much body fat you lose. The more body fat you lose or the more muscle you gain, the tighter your body will be. So if you goal is to lose size, then build muscle and cut fat and dont' worry about weight.

Oh and btw, you can gain 10 lbs and still lose a dress size. See example below.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/392784-skinny-fat-vs-fit-photo?hl=skinny+fat&page=2#posts-5441852
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    It depends on too many different factors to be the same for everyone.

For me personally, I've lost 36 lbs so far, started out in a juniors 17 (really needed to be in a 19 but refused to buy a bigger size) and now I can comfortably wear a juniors 11 (possibly even a 9, haven't tried yet but it seems possible the way the 11's fit me) or womens 8/10 depending on the day and how bootilicious I want to look. ;-)
  • ericapage
    ericapage Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Everyone is so different. I'm very proportioned and it takes me about 20 pounds to get down a size. Crazy huh?
  • missbis
    missbis Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Depends on how much weight you have to lose. Also, from a 9 to an 8 isn't really a full size, as odd numbers (in the US anyway) are juniors size. With that said, I changed sizes pretty predictable every 10 pounds (went from 175 lbs/size 14 US to 146 lbs/size 8).

This is true. Odd sizes = juniors and even = women. Junior clothing is often made differently, too. For instance, Xhiliration and Mossimo Supply Company's pants are generally more low cut than the women's brands, Merona and Mossimo Black. In tops, I will fit into an XL juniors while a medium fits in womens.
  • Erica002
    Erica002 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Yeah...I started in a size 16, I've lost 30 lbs so far and I'm still in a 16...still waiting...lol!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    It totally depends on your size and shape...everyone is different.
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Depends on the person, I've lost 47lbs & only lost one size.
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I've gone down many sizes while losing the 111 pounds. Went from a 24, 22, 20, 18, 16, 14, 12 and currently 10 but moving out of that. I found in the beginning it took more weight to move into a new size and now I am finding about 5 to 7 pounds moves me into a new size. I think everyone is different. Depends on where you lose your weight and how the body composition shifts.
  • SinCity2003
    SinCity2003 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I've lost 6 pounds and gone down 2 sizes. I'm short, so that makes a difference, but my cousin takes about 10lbs for every size. Having said that, I won't go down another size for about another 20 pounds, so even my own body is different :)
  • beccala18
    beccala18 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I lost 33 pounds and went from a 12/14 to a 6/8. About 4 dress/pant sizes. So for me it was less than 10 pounds per size. But I saw a lot more change (10 - 6) in about the last 10 pounds. That comes from my belly being the last place to lose weight. It depends on how/where you lose your weight from.
  • Jokenmit
    Jokenmit Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    i know it took me 45 pounds to go from a 24/26 pant to a 18/20 pant and from a 5XL top to a 1XL top. it all depends on how your weight sits on your frame and amount you have to lose. good luck :)
  • TamImbrogno
    TamImbrogno Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    It really depends on where you loose and carry your weight! If you are loosing everywhere but your belly etc then you arent going to change sizes....