lost 25lbs, still single..

Options
That time of year has come around again where despite effort to lose weight and feel fabulous on the outside, the talk of love and romance is making me slightly down, if I get down I eat or drink!

Im a real life Bridget Jones!!

Looking fabulous when you are sat at home on your lonesome with the fridge in view is not helping!! any thoughts appreciated.

Replies

• DizzyLinds
    DizzyLinds Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    I'm exactly the same. No matter how much weight you lose being on your own this time of year is crap! Instead of sitting in on my own...i'll see friends, and yesterday i decided to go shopping on my own and treat myself...retail therapy!!! I spend a fair bit of time at the gym too.
  • allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat.. I'm getting healthy for me, however getting some male attention would be nice perk lol. Just know you're not the only one out there. Believe me I know it's hard when everyone around you is either with someone or married..
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/282-single-peeps
    mfp singles group
    I'll be too busy celebrating a friends bday on vday to be sad and mope over being single. I have 364 days in year to do that!
  • dippystick
    dippystick Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I'm single again with 6 kids. 5 of my kids all have significant others, including children still at home. My other son is in a coma in a nursing home so he doesn't know he's alone. I'm the only one in the family who is alone. I get really lonely especially this time of year. My work schedule (overnights) makes it hard to have friends. But such is life. I guess that's why I come here from time to time.
  • lurkette
    lurkette Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My other son is in a coma in a nursing home so he doesn't know he's alone.

Geez. That kind of trumps everything else, I think. So sorry about that. I know it would be easier for you to cope if you had someone to lean on, and I hope that comes along for you soon. Also, I hope your son comes out of it and makes a full recovery.
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Being single is a gift. You are free. You are young and in the prime of life. Now go out there and see who you can help out. Volunteer. Lead a youth group. Take courses. Learn. Take care of yourself spiritually. Don't let work take up all your time and energy. Build a life for yourself.
  • deltasierra
    Options
    there is some irony in this, I am starting a course outside of work at the end of the month, but its a cookery course! whoops!! haha
  • mrdee555
    mrdee555 Posts: 178
    Options
    Being single is a gift. You are free. You are young and in the prime of life. Now go out there and see who you can help out. Volunteer. Lead a youth group. Take courses. Learn. Take care of yourself spiritually. Don't let work take up all your time and energy. Build a life for yourself.

this
  • mywise
    mywise Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I agree it sucks to be alone, but I split with the guy I was seeing 2 days after xmas and I have never been happier. I don't have the worries, sleepless nights etc. This new year is about me, and doing whats best for my daughter. It will all come together in the end.
  • hannata86
    Options

*nods*

there are so many worse things than being single!!
  • dippystick
    dippystick Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    My other son is in a coma in a nursing home so he doesn't know he's alone.

Geez. That kind of trumps everything else, I think. So sorry about that. I know it would be easier for you to cope if you had someone to lean on, and I hope that comes along for you soon. Also, I hope your son comes out of it and makes a full recovery.

Thanks, but unfortunately he never will. He will have been in this coma/vegitative state for 12 years in May. His friend was playing with a loaded pistol and shot him on the night before he was to graduate high school.

There are some things happening to him now that leads me to believe at some point this year we will be unplugging him for the last time. He has a feeding tube. I sat with him about 5 hours yesterday. He has a very bad cold and an infection between 2 of his toes. We don't treat with antibiotics for anything anymore. Someday one infection will get bad enough the suffering will end for all of us and there will finally be closure.

I don't think I'll ever find anyone. This is kind of hard for most people to handle, so I go it alone.
  • Mom0fTwo
    Mom0fTwo Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I think valentines day is a load of crock

this is what it is based on:

The Early Medieval acta of either Saint Valentine were expounded briefly in Legenda Aurea. According to that version, St Valentine was persecuted as a Christian and interrogated by Roman Emperor Claudius II in person. Claudius was impressed by Valentine and had a discussion with him, attempting to get him to convert to Roman paganism in order to save his life. Valentine refused and tried to convert Claudius to Christianity instead. Because of this, he was executed. Before his execution, he is reported to have performed a miracle by healing the blind daughter of his jailer. End of story

This really has nothing to do with what everyone thinks valentines day is about LOL
    So when you are feeling down about this time of year think of the poor man that brought this on you, his luck was waaay worse LOL
  • andrejjorje
    andrejjorje Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Gee guys. It takes a lot of many things to realize, understand and practice that. It is doable for few people but it is not easy. Small steps like becoming self confident, self motivated etc would be necessary to reach that level of spiritually.
    At this point she needs more practical advice. My personal opinion.

this
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I know, I know...easy for me to say now that I am happily married, but I never thought it sucked to be single. I enjoyed the times throughout my life where I could just focus on myself. If you can't be generally happy in a life you created for yourself, that happiness won't magically appear because you are dating someone. It is absolutely true (and so cliche) that when you aren't looking is when you find someone. It's always when you least expect it.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I much prefer being single. Hit up bars if you want to date, set up an Ok!Cupid account, rescue a dog from the shelter and hit up dog parks, just don't stay home with your fridge.
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Lost 20, still single and having fun while looking for THE one! :heart:
  • mg720
    mg720 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I know, I know...easy for me to say now that I am happily married, but I never thought it sucked to be single. I enjoyed the times throughout my life where I could just focus on myself. If you can't be generally happy in a life you created for yourself, that happiness won't magically appear because you are dating someone. It is absolutely true (and so cliche) that when you aren't looking is when you find someone. It's always when you least expect it.

YES! can not agree with this more
  • cygnetpro
    cygnetpro Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I was married for a long time. I've been single for a few years now. I have to admit that there are times that I miss being in a relationship (tired of going to the movies alone!). But in reality, one of the other posters nailed it-- you are FREE.

I now plan vacations around what I want to do. I go wherever in the world strikes my fancy, and I don't have to worry about whether my ex will enjoy it. I go to bed when I want, I eat what I enjoy eating, and I can focus on things that feed my own soul.

I know it's rough sometimes, and I must admit that sort of fear getting old alone. But try to embrace your singleness. Most of my friends in marriages and long term relationships are miserable, and they envy me! :smile:
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    It is hard being on your own this time of year. Christmas through V-day can be a lonely time. Especially, since the media rubs it in your face "get that special someone this or that." I try to remember why I stay single and think of some of my exes that did me wrong. Then I just get angry and think I am better on my own. Its a vicious circle!
  • Goalsforsusie
    Goalsforsusie Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Get your gal pals together and have a Galentines day!!!!!