Why am I still fat?

Options
I started this attempt at losing weight on 01/01/2012 and weighed 206. I, as of 02/03/2012 was down to 200.2 and yesterday and today am weighing in at 202.6. Sooo in ONE day I gained 2.4 pounds even though I did not exceed my calories goal (1300 a day) last week (though I did eat back my burned calories). I ate no horrificly sodium infused or sugar coated things.

All I can think is, since last week I started a 5 times a week workout regimin at the gym and maybe I'm 2.4 pounds "Swollen".

Please tell me thats what it is??? Why isnt it gone by now???

Replies

• Burgergrl
    Options
    i stopped eating back my calories..and now it seems to be coming off..some ppl on here say not too.. yr choice.
  • dino1147
    dino1147 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    If you are going to weight that often be prepared for the fluctuations, eating back your exercise calories is fuel for your body, won't hurt you a bit. 2.4 lbs could be water retention. I wouldn't sweat it and trying weighing in only once a week or every two weeks. Keep at it and it will come off :)
  • Angelbinick21
    Angelbinick21 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    So you've been at this for about a month? Guess what also happens about every month...

I always gain 3-5 pounds about that time, and then it disappears again.
  • dsuppa1997
    Options
    I tend to weigh myself only weekly since during a 7 day period your body can flucuate from day to day. I would pick a day and avoid the scale all other days of the week, and judge your progress by weight, also weigh at the same time. I do Thursday mornings as soon as i get up. Some weeks your body may just retain more water than others. Also dont ONLY judge your progess on weight, you could be slimming fat down and building muscle.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    If you are going to weight that often be prepared for the fluctuations, eating back your exercise calories is fuel for your body, won't hurt you a bit. 2.4 lbs could be water retention. I wouldn't sweat it and trying weighing in only once a week or every two weeks. Keep at it and it will come off :)

I agree. Weight fluctuates daily, it is a fact. You should not be weighing daily if you will freak out with the ups and downs that will show up on the scale. If I eat one meal out at a restaurant (full of sodium) I "gain" 3 pounds for a few days. It is normal, it happens. Back away from the scale. Pick one day a week to weigh yourself and stick with it.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I think you hit the nail on the head. It is from the increased workouts. Give your body a couple of weeks to adjust and I'll bet the weight starts coming off at a steady rate.
  • ShannanRenae
    Options
    Could just be water weight, take a water pill
  • audddyy
    Options
    OMG I like gained a kilo the other day and I didn't go over 1200 cals, and I trained etc, don't understand. All I know is that it sucks, as it seems my 5 kilos I want to lose don't want to budge from me grrrrr... :grumble:
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I started this attempt at losing weight on 01/01/2012 and weighed 206. I, as of 02/03/2012 was down to 200.2 and yesterday and today am weighing in at 202.6. Sooo in ONE day I gained 2.4 pounds even though I did not exceed my calories goal (1300 a day) last week (though I did eat back my burned calories). I ate no horrificly sodium infused or sugar coated things.

All I can think is, since last week I started a 5 times a week workout regimin at the gym and maybe I'm 2.4 pounds "Swollen".

There are quite a few reasons this can happen, and believe me, seeing a gain of 5 pounds in one day is scary! One, it could be PMS-bloating. Two, it's possibly you have a sensitivity to something you ate, I bloat up for several days by just eating something with yeast in it. Three, your body is retaining water for repairs (post workout) or you might be getting a cold or something.
    It will be gone in the long run! Just keep going and you'll get there! The only benefit to weighing daily is to see these fluctuations, especially if you're trying to see if you have a food sensitivity. Otherwise, don't go near the scale but for once a week or longer!
  • jflo2011
    jflo2011 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I experience the same thing monthly! I am up 3 lbs this week despite my regular exercising (6 days a week intense cardio and strength) and staying below my calorie goal. It is also almost that "time" of the month. It is hard to not it discourage you, I know! I definitely feel my clothes getting loser, and am wearing a scrub top today that was too tight around my belly a few months ago! I am staying determined and I bet next week I see a change in thescale. I bet you will too. Don't let it discourage you or throw you off track.
  • audreanna76
    Options
    Don't be too frustrated. Your body fluctuates from day to day. You're increasing your workouts now, so your body is gaining muscle as it's loosing fat. But keep in mind that muscle weighs more than fat. Make sure you are fueling yoru body with enough calories throughout the day. If you aren't eating enough, your body is going to hang on to every piece of fat you have.
    As for eating back your calories...sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. If I'm hungry, I eat. If I'm not, I don't. I found that this was happening to me about 2 months into loosing weight so I decided to weigh AND measure myself twice a month and that first month I lost only 2 pounds but lost 3.5 inches. Maybe that is what you need to do. Stick with it tho. Don't get frustated and give up!
    Good luck!!!
  • msjones2831
    msjones2831 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    As long as you are sticking to your exercise and eating plan ignore the fluctuations in weight. My weight has went up 3lbs in a day and it means NOTHING! I used to get frustrated by it, but now that I weigh myself everyday I see the fluctuations so I know it's just that---fluid shifts and it will normalize back. You are obviously losing weight so you're good.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options

First off, congrats with your success so far!!

Second, I'd bet on water weight from the increased workouts. Whenever you add or change your activity, you create muscle tears and that muscle tissue will retain water as part of the natural healing process. Keep eating back your exercise calories (or at least 50-75% of them) and give your body a couple more weeks to adjust to the increase in activity. Drink plenty of water to help flush out the excess too.

One other point - it's pretty much impossible to gain 2.4 pounds in a day unless you go WAY overboard so just know that any of these increases are usually due to water weight. As someone else pointed out, it could even be that time of the month (aka TOM) as many women gain a few pounds of water weight at that time during their cycle. Keep eating right and exercising and give your body the time it needs to adjust.

Best of luck!
  • puddygirl13
    puddygirl13 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    When you increase your workouts you start building muscle mass which, believe it or not, weighs MORE than fat! Just stay focused and keep on the track you're on and you'll start to lose again. The more muscle mass you have, the more calories you burn so you may even need to increase your caloric intake if you are doing a lot of strenuous workouts. And try to only weigh yourself once or twice a week, women can fluctuate by 5 pounds depending on water retention, especially if it's "that time of the month."
  • jdbagley3
    Options
    Besides weight, make sure to take measurements. Often you won't see weight loss but will see measurement changes. Like all those who said before, you're probably adding muscle if you're working out. I notice that change myself as I started the cardio on the bike. My weight didn't change much for a while due to the muscles that were building up on my legs.

If you are doing all you can, sticking to eating healthy and exercise, don't get frustrated. Good luck on reaching your goals!
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    So you've been at this for about a month? Guess what also happens about every month...

I always gain 3-5 pounds about that time, and then it disappears again.

This... 100times over... look at the calendar.. I bet you are close to that time.